Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Whats so bad about distant fans?

Seems to be a recurring theme on this board that if you dont attend games, then your opinion is invalid. Whilst it should be accepted that watching via a stream is not the same as being at a game and there are things you cant appreciate unless you are there, no matter how good the camera work, I find it odd the aggression that is directed to us fans that do not go to games or worship from afar. Its almost like supporting the club is a competition and that going to games is like going to church every sunday and if you dont go you''re a heathen and will burn in hell!  Lots of fans cant attend games for lots of reasons and I dont understand the hatred towards them. Surely the club is better off with as many fans as possible? Is this a Norwich City thing and akin to the small-town mentality of ''Not local? - Get lost, we dont take kindly to non-locals round ''ere'', or do fans of other clubs get this kind of abuse from those who go to games. Its not a religion, not going to games is not sacrilege, and surely a club like Norwich should embrace every fan it has?

I would respectfully refer you to my many previous posts on the subject.

There is nothing more inspiring when the snake pit and the lower Barclay rise to their feet as one and sing loudly WE SUPPORT OUR LOCAL TEAM. The true voice of the club listen to them not me

[quote user="Waveney canary"]I would respectfully refer you to my many previous posts on the subject. There is nothing more inspiring when the snake pit and the lower Barclay rise to their feet as one and sing loudly WE SUPPORT OUR LOCAL TEAM. The true voice of the club listen to them not me[/quote]

[URL=http://media.photobucket.com/user/Ti42/media/Smilies/Trolls/troll_spray.jpg.html][IMG]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h52/Ti42/Smilies/Trolls/troll_spray.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Seems to be a recurring theme on this board that if you dont attend games, then your opinion is invalid. Whilst it should be accepted that watching via a stream is not the same as being at a game and there are things you cant appreciate unless you are there, no matter how good the camera work, I find it odd the aggression that is directed to us fans that do not go to games or worship from afar. Its almost like supporting the club is a competition and that going to games is like going to church every sunday and if you dont go you''re a heathen and will burn in hell!  Lots of fans cant attend games for lots of reasons and I dont understand the hatred towards them. Surely the club is better off with as many fans as possible? Is this a Norwich City thing and akin to the small-town mentality of ''Not local? - Get lost, we dont take kindly to non-locals round ''ere'', or do fans of other clubs get this kind of abuse from those who go to games. Its not a religion, not going to games is not sacrilege, and surely a club like Norwich should embrace every fan it has?[/quote]

Bloody ''Hussar'' mate.[Y]

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Seems to be a recurring theme on this board that if you dont attend games, then your opinion is invalid. Whilst it should be accepted that watching via a stream is not the same as being at a game and there are things you cant appreciate unless you are there, no matter how good the camera work, I find it odd the aggression that is directed to us fans that do not go to games or worship from afar. Its almost like supporting the club is a competition and that going to games is like going to church every sunday and if you dont go you''re a heathen and will burn in hell!  Lots of fans cant attend games for lots of reasons and I dont understand the hatred towards them. Surely the club is better off with as many fans as possible? Is this a Norwich City thing and akin to the small-town mentality of ''Not local? - Get lost, we dont take kindly to non-locals round ''ere'', or do fans of other clubs get this kind of abuse from those who go to games. Its not a religion, not going to games is not sacrilege, and surely a club like Norwich should embrace every fan it has?[/quote]

Bloody ''Hussar'' mate.[Y]

[/quote]Well, you can''t get much more distant than Hungarian cavalry...

For those plastics watching the man utd game on one of their illegal streams. Listen out for the fans roaring WE SUPPORT OUR LOCAL TEAM.

Then you will realise mine is the majority view!

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Let''s not forget there are a few people who post on here, who go to games, that are ''distant''.[/quote]

No, and fair play to them. Distance is one of many reasons why fans cant get to games, but there are many others too. They might be able to undertake the cost and time it takes to go to games and good for them, but not everyone is able. It shouldnt mean those who cant are entitled to abuse

[quote user="Waveney canary"]For those plastics watching the man utd game on one of their illegal streams. Listen out for the fans roaring WE SUPPORT OUR LOCAL TEAM.

Then you will realise mine is the majority view![/quote]

So are you saying Norwich shouldnt have any fans outside of Norfolk? The only valid reason for falling in love with a club or a team is parochialism?

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Let''s not forget there are a few people who post on here, who go to games, that are ''distant''.[/quote]

Ha!! There are plenty that post on here that go to games that appear completely ''vacant''.

[;)]

Nothing wrong with distant fans.

What annoys me is the fans that ring up Canary Call and post on messageboards and say "I didnt go to the game today but I thought we were poor". I dont just mean the people that contribute to those things once or twice but the people that CONSTANTLY moan!It doesnt seem like much fun to support a team if you''re going to just moan and always find the negatives.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]

[quote user="Waveney canary"]For those plastics watching the man utd game on one of their illegal streams. Listen out for the fans roaring WE SUPPORT OUR LOCAL TEAM.

So are you saying Norwich shouldnt have any fans outside of Norfolk? The only valid reason for falling in love with a club or a team is parochialism?

[/quote]

I bow to the majority view at the carra who am I to disagree

[quote user="Waveney canary"][quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]

[/quote]

I bow to the majority view at the carra who am I to disagree[/quote]

You are an individual :)    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QereR0CViMY

As an exile myself I believe that your club picks you not the other way round. I recall just before moving to the North West telling one of my golfing partners about the move and him asking me whether I would now be supporting Man Utd. I was horrified that he could even imagine it. I was, I am ad I always will be CTID.

Whilst I no longer get to as many games as I''d like there is even more excitement about the game for those I do get to. The most recent was Newcastle away and, other then the result, it was fantastic to see the lads live again.

Some think that you can''t be a ''true'' fan unless you attend all the games but then some are as thick as s**t. C''est la vie!

I have lived on the continent a few years in the past and I could only watch a few games a season then. But I supported the club then and I support the club now. I know someone in Denmark who''s a City fan and I know a Belgian guy who''s a real fan too! He went to the European games with me when we beat Bayern etc...

I don''t understand this cr@p . I respect anyone who''s a fan of Norwich City, I disrespect the people moaning and groaning ALL OF THE TIME (whatever happens , something''s wrong at the club for them)

Distant fans do tend to moan a bit more, I''ve always put it down to the feeling of disconnection. It''s a lot easier nowadays with increased coverage and the internet. Annoys me when you get someone on the other side of the world questioning psychology and the backroom when they aren''t on the same continent.

Distant fans don''t tend to moan a bit more...

The most moaning I have ever heard/read from Norwich fans has come from those with norfolk accents. In fact its pretty much the only time I ever hear a Norfolk accent.

I go to all home games, and a few away. And watch the rest on steams. Don''t get why people think its so much better at the match. The amount of times during the game you think would be great to see that again now, the kind of thing you don''t get on MOTD, you get on a stream. You actually get to see more. You get replays, you get people who actually know a tad about football commentating. Some of the morons around me barely seem to understand how to speak English.

Moaning about fans who don''t go to games is just a way for people to feel superior.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]The only thing I don''t get is people who live in Suffolk and yet "support" a team based in the heart of Nelson''s Norfolk.
[/quote]

I live 7 miles from Norfolk, 44 miles from Ip5wich, I think I''ve chosen wisely....... plus the first ever game I ever saw was at Carrow Road, I was chosen by City, I had no say in the matter.[Y]

"Waveney canary"I would respectfully refer you to my many previous posts on the subject.

There is nothing more inspiring when the snake pit and the lower Barclay rise to their feet as one and sing loudly WE SUPPORT OUR LOCAL TEAM. The true voice of the club listen to them not me

Up the Trawlerboys eh Waveney!

Streams will never tell the whole story. You just see what the camera wants you to see.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]The only thing I don''t get is people who live in Suffolk and yet "support" a team based in the heart of Nelson''s Norfolk.[/quote]

I live 7 miles from Norfolk, 44 miles from Ip5wich, I think I''ve chosen wisely....... plus the first ever game I ever saw was at Carrow Road, I was chosen by City, I had no say in the matter.[Y]

[/quote]I very much doubt you were chosen by City.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"][quote user="Waveney canary"][quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]

[/quote]

I bow to the majority view at the carra who am I to disagree[/quote]

You are an individual :)    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QereR0CViMY

[/quote]I''m not.My very favourite line in a film full of classic jokes. [:D]

P.S. Speaking as not only a distant fan, but one who''s never even lived in Norfolk. I feel like an adopted child when their parents say to them "we chose you." Mind you, my local club growing up was Colchester.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]The only thing I don''t get is people who live in Suffolk and yet "support" a team based in the heart of Nelson''s Norfolk.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I very much doubt you were chosen by City.

[/quote]

What like you''re signature you mean?[:|]

"Buh"Streams will never tell the whole story. You just see what the camera wants you to see.

Stream watchers miss out on bits, like off the ball running etc but we get replays of goals, dodgy decisions etc. So it''s swings and roundabouts. Both opinions are valid.

I''m from Norwich, born and bred, and to me there''s no way Wiz or Waveney could understand the passion a supporter feels for their HOME CITY SIDE - i suspect the handful of games i get to each season is a handful more than they do anyway ;)

[quote user="Buh"]Streams will never tell the whole story. You just see what the camera wants you to see.[/quote]

And you don''t see the whole story at the match...

Try actually listening to what people around you see, come on here and read match reports from people at the match. Everyone sees different things. Lots of people thought Nathan Dyer had been knocked out by Bassong landing on top of him, didn''t hear any comments about his ankle. When Fer ''scored'' that ''goal'' against Cardiff, my Grandad was certain it was accidental and Marshall just wasn''t paying attention. My favourite fellow fan, who sits behind me had a go at Johnson after he won and then cleared the ball.

So, fine you see what the camera wants you too. But that tends to be the game, and you tend to get a pretty good view and you tend to get lots of replays. At a live match you get one view, and you soon realise people around you often see things differently. But whatever, we''re clearly so superior because we go to Carrow Road and don''t live miles away. I actually personally think those fans are the impressive ones, continuing to support a team they can''t see week in week out.