Sign in to follow this  
Jersey Canary

Mid term report

I have nto posted for a while so I thought I would grace you with my thoughts of where we are up to:Yes we still have teething problems within the squad as the team are not quite firing on all cylinders, but the team are drastically better than we were earlier on in the season.  So for all the stick Hughton got early doors (and rightly so), he also needs credit for gradulally sorting the problems out.I am really looking forward to seeing RvW and Hooper playing together in a team that is going to create some chances for them.  It must have been soul destroying for RvW earlier in the season hardly getting a kick and then getting stick for not scoring too often.Hughton needs praise for the pre season signings, Hooper, Olsson, Fer and Redmond are definately an improvement on what we had and I thing we got the players at a good price.  RvW I feel will make it if he is given service and plays with Hooper, but as he has not done it yet the jury still has to be out however I am positive on this as well.Issues - We despirately need a right back who is of similar quality to the excellet Olsson.  Martin is steady and I would say a PL backup RB but not good enough in passing or attacking to warrant a first team place.  Whittaker, although dangerous going forward, his passing the last couple of games has been terrible and his decision making and defending leaves a lot to be desired.  My first choice RB would be Kyle Naughton.We also need another defensive midfielder or another Fer.  In the PL you need to be able to boss the midfield and if we had a Gary Meddel (Cardiff, Canas (Swansea) or Jedinak (CP) type players who are getting rave reviews I think our defensive play would improve.  I think Jedinak who has been getting rave reviews in a poor CP team would be achievable at the end of the season.If we can get another attacking midfielder/play just off the striker for away games, someone like Hoolahan but doesn''t do silly things in dangerous positions and also scores their fair share of goals that would be the icing on the cake.  Would that be Toivenen?  I haven''t seen him play but what I have read that seems to be the best fit maybe?As for Hughton, I can see why he got the stick he got earlier in the season and justifyably so, however, in McNally we trust.  By sticking with Hughton things have improved somewhat.  We are not the finished article by any stretch but are we going to get relegated? no I don''t think so.  There are definately 3 clubs worse than us.  One thing I would really steer clear of is a clamour for the return of Malky, had he not been a former Norwich player the feedback from Cardiff fans regarding their style of play and seeing how they score most of their goals, had Hughton played like that I am sure the Canary faithful would be upset.  Cardiff tend to score from set pieces and play lots of long balls.  Do we really want that at Carrow Road? I don''t think so.  Apart from that I think it''s work in progress, we are not playing at full pelt just yet but there are signs of life at Carrow Road.  A couple of additions and it would be interesting to see where we can go.OTBC

For me we are on course for a lower mid table finish in the 11th to 15th range which i would be reasonably content with. The next 3 games are vital for us because we can either put a bit of day light between ourselves and the bottom 3 or be dragged back in. I think we will get 3 or 4 points from these games and keep the mid table momentum going. Lower top half of the table is there for the taking with not a lot between us and the likes of Swansea, Aston Villa , Stoke and Hull. It may be arrogant but to me though we glance at the relegation spots there are 4 or 5 teams who look comfortably worse than us. The new faces are starting to bed in and 3 in particular, Hooper, Fer and Olson look very good indeed. Redmond too looks as if he will get better which leaves RVW to bed in which i am sure he will do given time. I do not think we will sign many in January but would put a top RB , CB and Defensive M/F top of our shopping list for the summer. I do sense with the pressure easing Houghton is starting to become a bit more attack minded which against the bottom half sides is to be welcomed

At this point I am satisfied with where we are considering how black things looked at half time against West Ham. I looked at CH as he walked to his dug out and thought ''this is the last time I will see you with a canary on your coat.''

However, I think there is very little, if anything, between Villa, Cardiff, Hull, West Brom, Stoke, West Ham, Fulham and us and even Sunderland and Palace aren''t too far behind. The table can change extremely quickly.

For me, our season remains on a knife edge and I would be surprised if we weren''t biting our nails by March and with our last 4 games that could be brutal.

RVW hasn''t scored less than 11 in his last 4 seasons ... let''s pray he gets a little more fortune and service after Christmas.

I think with the internal strife at certain clubs I think one of them will fill the void that is the last relegation place.  My bet would be on Cardiff especially if there is no money knocking about in January.  However, WBA are looking as though they are on the crossroads as well as the talk of who their next manager is wouldn''t fill me with excitement if I was a fan.  Again there is talk of no money at the Hawthorns as well so maybe that will effect them also.I think both Palace and Sunderland have had their new manager revival and reality has kicked in.  Clubs are now paying more attention to them thus finding them out.We do have to have in the back of our minds our run in so we need 40 point on the board by game 34 or we are going to be in the brown stuff.  But overall I think we''ll be fine.

I too have been away for the past few weeks, but managed to get to see the last two home games.

Although we have picked up the points and results is the name of the game, you can''t argue that Hughton is doing the job for us!

When I left three weeks ago I had jumped off my fence and wanted a change, now I''m back on that fence.

This first half of the season has been one of frustrations and what might have been, but we should look at what we have got and say we are doing as well as can be expected. A good result against Fulham and who knows a win against both Palace and Hull should see us sitting a comfortable mid table on 28 points.

I still think we will survive and it won''t be as easy as some think, I still think that Fulham & Sunderland will make a late surge but if we can take the points from Fulham this weekend and Palace away it would be very hard for those two teams to get near us!

I am happy at where we are, I am happy with the players we have, I am satisfied with Hughton as a manager and delighted to be a City fan, we have a great club which is improving with each season, so long may it continue!

Given our injury record, Benno, Tettey, Pilks and RvW/Hooper, all fairly long term, we have not done too badly. If it continues, we could struggle as the back-up players are not as good as regular squad players. We have no replacement for Howson at the moment, of for Fer if he is injured.

I have two slight worries:

1) Bassong is a little variable at the moment. If he was more consistent I would be more confident.

2) We are still not really scoring enough goals. The WBA game was an exception, where we scored a high proportion of our chances. Sunderland was an example of the opposite. I accept that it is points which matter, but we have a shocking goal difference, and we really need to improve it somewhat. It might not cause us to be relegated, but it could cause the missing of a million of two TV money.

[quote user="Indy"]

I too have been away for the past few weeks, but managed to get to see the last two home games.

Although we have picked up the points and results is the name of the game, you can''t argue that Hughton is doing the job for us!

When I left three weeks ago I had jumped off my fence and wanted a change, now I''m back on that fence.

This first half of the season has been one of frustrations and what might have been, but we should look at what we have got and say we are doing as well as can be expected. A good result against Fulham and who knows a win against both Palace and Hull should see us sitting a comfortable mid table on 28 points.

I still think we will survive and it won''t be as easy as some think, I still think that Fulham & Sunderland will make a late surge but if we can take the points from Fulham this weekend and Palace away it would be very hard for those two teams to get near us!

I am happy at where we are, I am happy with the players we have, I am satisfied with Hughton as a manager and delighted to be a City fan, we have a great club which is improving with each season, so long may it continue!

[/quote]

Indy - If you''re satisfied with Hoots as a manager why are you still on the fence buddy?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Indy"]

[/quote]

Indy - If you''re satisfied with Hoots as a manager why are you still on the fence buddy?

[/quote]

Hi Nutty, I''m satisfied with Hughton, but not convinced he is the right man to move us forward.

I have said and continue to say that I don''t think we as a club can attract a better manager than we have and maybe I should jump off and say I''m behind Hughton, which I am now until the end of this season. I think he has earned the right to stay here now and build on this season.

----nutty nigel---- Fair enough Indy. I''m like you and don''t buy into how people can support the team but not the manager...

I supported Norwich but not Roeder when he destroyed our squad and started slagging off our players like Drury, Cureton and Hoolahan.

I am surprised you supported him during this time Nutty.

I think we are all great managers in our own minds and we all question some of the tactis, choices and statements by Hughton, but at the end of the day, we are sitting lower mid table, like last year we briefly fluttered into the bottom 3 for a very short period and if we can finish off this season in 14th or better than fantastic job done again! Who can argue really?

Like others I would love to see us play good attractive (Man City at home type football) but know in my mind that we don''t have the 500 million to buy the player like Man City! We do at times look a class side and other times we look outclassed but that''s football at this level.

I am for more happy than I was and on reflection I should not be too critical nor should any City fan of the way this club is moving. We have a board who have invested heavily, cleared debt and replaced Lambert with a better manager on performance! Cat 1 status and buying in some real qulaity youth players who might just push us on over the next few years.

Lot''s to be chearful about, we are not changing our name, team colour or identity, we don''t have owners like Hull or Cardiff who will ultimately cost the clubs stability needed to survive here for longer than one season!

So yes with you Nutty, off the fence and behind Hughton this season.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]----nutty nigel---- Fair enough Indy. I''m like you and don''t buy into how people can support the team but not the manager... I supported Norwich but not Roeder when he destroyed our squad and started slagging off our players like Drury, Cureton and Hoolahan. I am surprised you supported him during this time Nutty.[/quote]

Now, not sticking up for Roeder but.....Peter Grant certainly contributed to our squad being destroyed and Jamie Cureton WAS cr@p.

------ Warren Hill ------

Now, not sticking up for Roeder but.....Peter Grant certainly contributed to our squad being destroyed and Jamie Cureton WAS cr@p

------------------------------

Well, Grant signed some rubbish, Roeder turned the squad into a loan side.

As for Cureton, yes he wasn''t that great, but neither was Morison who banged in 9 premiership goals with a manager who kept his confidence high. Cureton wasn''t quite the same after our esteemed manager Glenn Roeder slagged him off when he scored a hat-trick.

Wasn''t quite the same? What?

Was that  the season Cureton scored 14 times?  3 against Colchester, 2 against someone else in the league (Southampton, maybe?) and two in a cup game against lower league opposition.

He scored 7 times in the remaining 40+ games he played, missing chance after chance after chance, so I think he was EXACTLY the same [:)]

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]----nutty nigel---- Fair enough Indy. I''m like you and don''t buy into how people can support the team but not the manager...

I supported Norwich but not Roeder when he destroyed our squad and started slagging off our players like Drury, Cureton and Hoolahan.

I am surprised you supported him during this time Nutty.[/quote]

This very aptly shows the difference in peoples perception ....it is the club that I support ...not necessarily the manager , however ,, if he is doing a good , or even a decent job , then he will also have my support . Never forget the mangers who walked out on NCFC ...not just the last one !

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]----nutty nigel---- Fair enough Indy. I''m like you and don''t buy into how people can support the team but not the manager...

This very aptly shows the difference in peoples perception ....it is the club that I support ...not necessarily the manager , however ,, if he is doing a good , or even a decent job , then he will also have my support . Never forget the mangers who walked out on NCFC ...not just the last one !

--- Warren Hill-----

so I think he was EXACTLY the same

------------------------

Believe what you want, if you think slagging off your staff is the way to get better performances from them you are an idiot.

Suffice to say, he had scored 6 in his last 7 games when Roeder decided to slag him off in public. He didn''t score again in 22 appearances for Roeder''s Norwich City.

“The fact that he (Cureton) was the Golden Boot winner from last season (for Colchester) means nothing to me,” said Roeder.

“He''s paid to score goals, and he''s scored them today. But he has also missed plenty lately.

“I don''t say bad luck when he misses a number of openings, so I''m not going to say much when he scores some. He''s earned his wages for this week, but that''s his responsibility for the team, to score goals and set up goals for others.

“He''s got another match-ball to take home and put on his shelf, but that means more work for his wife with the dusting,” added Roeder.

Is that really slagging him off? If having his role in the team reaffirmed, albeit bluntly, had such a detrimental impact on a 30+ year old Jamie Cureton, I''d suggest he might want to man up just a tiny little bit.

Roeder was probably a good manager, the problem was he made it all about him.. Success was his doing, Defeats were not his fault. his arrogance, pig headedness and attitude were his downfall.

He hasn''t managed since... sitting next to the phone waiting for it to ring by now?

Apart for against leagues best teams (where we ahave conceeded a shocking 19 in 4 games) our defensive record is pretty solid -10 goals in 13 games.  Thats impressive considering the changes that have been made so far this season (non of the back 4 are ever presents).   

That suggests we have a defence which is good enough to get us wherere we want this season as in the games we want to pick up points in we wont conceed many goals irrespective of who we pick (eg whittaker or the slightly better imo Martin).    We are better strengthening here in the summer, unless the right player becomes available next month

We continue to get the results we need against the teams that count,  and thats really what matters this season.

Where we are really continuing to struggle is creating chances,  15 in total,  and just 12 in those other 13 games,  less than a goal a match.  The injuries out wide have not helped,   nor has Tetteys absence,  but if we want to make a difference it continues to be central midfield that needs a bolster,  an attacking & defensive midfielder to balance the squad out. 

---Warren Hill---

Is that really slagging him off? If having his role in the team reaffirmed, albeit bluntly, had such a detrimental impact on a 30+ year old Jamie Cureton, I''d suggest he might want to man up just a tiny little bit.

--------------------

It was pretty damn insulting and needless. And why man up, why work hard for an insulting boss who talks to you like a kid. He is 30+ years old.

Roeder was just a crap manager. Good at clearing out the crud when he first arrives, but longer than that becomes hated by the players.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]---Warren Hill--- Is that really slagging him off? If having his role in the team reaffirmed, albeit bluntly, had such a detrimental impact on a 30+ year old Jamie Cureton, I''d suggest he might want to man up just a tiny little bit. -------------------- It was pretty damn insulting and needless. And why man up, why work hard for an insulting boss who talks to you like a kid. He is 30+ years old. Roeder was just a crap manager. Good at clearing out the crud when he first arrives, but longer than that becomes hated by the players.[/quote]

Why man up? Because otherwise he would appear to be a needy little cry-baby. Aw, Jamie lad missed a hatful of chances, give him a hug.

Roeder certainly wouldn''t be on many NCFC fans Xmas card list that''s for sure, Jamie Cureton wouldn''t be on mine either, crap manager, crap player.

Sooo a previous manager''s record is a good enough reason then? Hughton has us mid-table in the PL and holding our own for the second season running but we can support the team and not the manager because roeder destroyed an earlier squad! Interesting .......

... but surely the final scrapings from the bottom of the barrell!

----nutty nigel------

Sooo a previous manager''s record is a good enough reason then? Hughton has us mid-table in the PL and holding our own for the second season running but we can support the team and not the manager because roeder destroyed an earlier squad! Interesting .......

... but surely the final scrapings from the bottom of the barrell!

------------------------

Are you avoiding your point on purpose here? You stated "Fair enough Indy. I''m like you and don''t buy into how people can support the team but not the manager..."

And I gave you an example where surely you must agree, someone could support the team and not the manager. When Glenn Roeder was ''managing'' the club.

So surely you must agree fans can support the team and not the manager at the same time.

No I''m not avoiding my own point Foggy. The thread is quite clearly about mid term report of this season under Hughton. I quite clearly referred to the situation of supporting the team but not the manager. You took it upon yourself to widen it to bring in Roeder. Why?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

No I''m not avoiding my own point Foggy. The thread is quite clearly about mid term report of this season under Hughton. I quite clearly referred to the situation of supporting the team but not the manager. You took it upon yourself to widen it to bring in Roeder. Why?

[/quote]Oh for goodness'' sake.You said you don''t understand how people can support the team, but not the manager.Foghorn Leghorn stated that under Roeder, he was supporting the team but not the manager, thereby illustrating that it is possible to support the team but not the manager. 

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Oh for goodness'' sake.You said you don''t understand how people can support the team, but not the manager.Foghorn Leghorn stated that under Roeder, he was supporting the team but not the manager, thereby illustrating that it is possible to support the team but not the manager. 

[/quote]

OK then Mister. To help clarify I''d like to make my point a bit clearer. I don''t understand how people can support the team and not Hughton. However I did understand how they could support the team but not Roeder. In my opinion Roeder was a unique situation in the club''s history. If there is clearly a divide between the team and the manager like there was with him it would be difficult to support both the team and the manager. 

---------nutty nigel-------

I don''t understand how people can support the team and not Hughton. However I did understand how they could support the team but not Roeder. In my opinion Roeder was a unique situation in the club''s history.

------------------------------

It really wasn''t a unique situation. What about Gunn, Megson, or Hamilton. I supported the team but not Brian Hamilton who was doing a dreadful job.

The simple fact is you don''t understand how other people can support the team, but not the manager, when you support both the current team and manager. You have no problem when you have decided the manager should be replaced.

ie.. it is just your opinion.