Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Favourite Christmas football memories

How about Martin O''Neil scoring that free kick at Porterloo Road one Boxing Day.

Also the day the Binners were thumped for 9 by Fulham.

Loads of Christmas memories, some good and some I don''t think about. But the one that always springs to mind was going to Coventry in 1977. That year we played the binners at home on Boxing Day and then Coventry away the following day. We beat the binners 1-0. John Ryan, a fullback/midfielder who had an amazing goal scoring record that season, had his penalty saved against the binners but got to the loose ball first scoring the only goal of the game. We then trooped up to the midlands the next day and in an extraordinary game we lost 5-4. Ryan scored his first penalty but we got another one late on and had the keeper not saved that we would have drawn 5-5. Ryan finished the season top scorer by some considerable distance but I wish he''d managed just one more...

Xmas 1986, Drinkells header ten minutes from time, forgot i was in the wrong end, bundled out of the ground promptly after the goal by my uncle, didnt know we had won till we got home as there was no radio in the car !!

Is 3-2 at Portaloo Road on Boxing day with Mendham and O''Neill goals for me. Sat with complimentary tickets via Dad just in front of Radio Suffolk commentating with Brother, Uncle and Granddad. They must have hated us with each goal throughout Suffolk that day.

Don''t get many better Xmas presents than that.

Wasn''t that Coventry game the one where their keeper got injured in the warm up and John Bond gave them permission to change.

Being top of the Premier league at Xmas exactly 21 years ago.

Or Leon McKenzie putting 2 past the scum at Portaloo on the 22nd Dec, what, ten years ago?