Sign in to follow this  
havemyhowsonit

Lambert after pilks

alartz said: "I think sell him. Too injury prone."RollesbyCanary said: "he never even manages half a season"vos said: "Very injury prone"Making Plans said: "crocked more often than not"Hexus_Canary said: "his constant injuries make me slide toward the move him on camp"I think this whole "crock" theory about Pilkington is largely exaggerated nonsense, and a typical example of enough people saying the same thing until it appears to be true. It''s actually not.Anthony Pilkington career appearances:2006-07:     242007-08:     372008-09:     462009-10:     512010-11:     402011-12:     322012-13:     33

Kolin,

Perhaps more meaningful would be the number of games he misssed, or include the total games played by the club that season, so we can (or you could if you feel like it) work out the percentage of games missed/played.

I think the following injury periods reported on another website (rough dates) give the impression he has been injury prone this year:

2/2/13 - 23/2/13

9/3/13 - 6/4/13

20/7/13 - 26/8/13

24/11/13 -

Given the lack of a new contract being signed, may be its time to say goodbye if we get a good offer (£5m or more) and sign another good left winger.

Everybody has their price. If we get a good deal - for me that would need to be around £5m - and we spend that on a replacement then fair enough. Personally I''d be looking to hang on to him until at least the summer.

If the medical team think he can get over his injuries, definitely keep him. Still one of our classiest players; him, RvW & Hooper would make a genuine Prem attack capable of scoring against anyone.

I think we should hang on to Pilks, if he''s good enough for us to make a good profit on , then he''s good enough to stay. If, however his injuries keep him out for an extended period then selling him and recouping what we paid wont be bad business at all. I believe he can play in behind the striker/s as well, would love to see it tried.

Given the progress by Redmond and with Murphy pushing on, do we really need another winger if we do let Pilks go?

I think we can get away with selling Pilks given as some say he has not signed a new contract and we only have an option for one more year, why not get money back and use it on a creative midfielder and new top notch striker or centre back?

I think the wings is one area we have good options and cover once Bennett is back and not to overlook Olsson can push on too!

Good player on his day but not one we would miss too much!

[quote user="Indy"]

Given the progress by Redmond and with Murphy pushing on, do we really need another winger if we do let Pilks go?

[/quote]

Definitely.

Murphy doesn''t look like he''s ready and another lengthy injury to one of the other wingers would see us stretched again.

[quote user="GJP"]Murphy doesn''t look like he''s ready [/quote]How can you possibly say that.The only 2 times he''s been given any decent pitch time were when we were getting hammered and apart from that he''s had the odd 5 or 10 minutes here & there. Hardly sufficient to make any such judgement.

It was enough time for me to make a judgement.

Other people might need longer.

Assuming that there are no contractual issues (CJF has a point here) which make selling a necessity, I think that we would be crazy to sell him. On his day he is very good, and even when it isn''t, he "puts in a shift" (sorry). I think that Redmond has great potential but there is more end product from Pilks and he is better defensively. Plus, i am pretty sure that Pilks will continue to improve.Definitely keep from me.

First off I hope this is just paper talk.

2nd I think anyone that thinks we should sell him ASAP is just nuts. Easily our most goal threatening winger. I thought the team looked much more balanced when he played recently. As others have said, genuinely two footed (only one?) which means he can cross and cut in and shoot - best of both?!!

Third - anything over £3.5million?!! You what? Just have a look at what other players go for. Jarvis from Wolves to West Ham for example. Pilkington is a far better player than that. He''s half way through a third season of premiership football and has good stats for the last two being one of our more regular goal scorers and providers.

I for one hope he is one of the next players to have been given a contract extension and remains to give us all of the qualities he has. To me whilst he may not have Redmond''s pace, he is faster than Snodgrass and at times against Chelsea showed he had enough to beat his man.

get rid, best of getting £4m than nothing in the summer, can''t see him being offered a a new contract.

When Lambert gets "sacked" (does an oneill and jumps off the sinking ship) before Hughton, now that is going to be some funny sh1t!

When fit he is a first team starter,  and generally the number of appearances per season have been good - as I am sure they will be again once he is fully fit.  He clearly sufferes niggles, as the number of withdrawls from the Irish squad has shown but you dont make that many appearances without being fit to play.

Alond with Fer, Ruddy and probably RvW his is probably our most talented footballer, is disciplined and works well.    He seems grounded so can''t see him demanding a move,  and his is one to keep come the summer.   We should not be letting proven prem quality leaving the club for some of the low sums mentioned here.

Fascinated by some of the replies re Pilks. Several seem to think he is a great player. Yes, I have seen him have the odd 10 minute burst, usually in the first half, when he has looked impressive. He also has a strong shot in both feet. But bearing in mind his frequent niggling injuries I would let him go.

Perhaps to provide a good and fair assessment has anyone seen him look a dangerous threat for 90 mins when he receives the ball and moves forward i.e. Huckerby style. The answer is clearly no, but I would accept the present manager/coaching staff have not moved him forward with their negative tactics !!!!

Injuries are no good reason to get rid of a player. There''s no reason why they should go on forever. James Vaughan a case in point. Pilkington is quality. Definitely a keeper if he wants to stay.

Contract due to expire July 2013 - has an option of an extra year - if he doesn''t take that up, then becomes a free agent!

Maybe time to cash in or get a new contract sorted?

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]Injuries are no good reason to get rid of a player. There''s no reason why they should go on forever. James Vaughan a case in point. Pilkington is quality. Definitely a keeper if he wants to stay. [/quote]
Whilst I''m very happy for Pilks to stay, I can''t see him taking Ruddy''s spot in the team. Think he is best off as a midefielder tbh.

@City 2nd: I believe the ''option'' is ours, not his. Effectively he has agreed another year already but it''s up to us to activate it, not him.

As for injuries, he is no more so than any of our other players. Perhaps we should sell Ruddy, Snodgrass, Howson, Tettey, Hooper, Bassong and Olsson whilst we''re at it . . . . .