Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

My old man said be a City fan...

I grew up 200miles from Norwich, but my Dad is from Norfolk and is City through and through, so there was never any chance of me supporting anyone else. I went to my first game before I was 3 years old, followed us up and down the country ever since I can remember, and he even took me out of school for the day to make the 7 hour round trip to be there when we put Bayern to the sword aged 6.
I now live in Derby, but when I have kids, they will also be Norwich fans, there is simply no other option.

No, no and no. They had no influence over who I supported. In fact my dad used to take me, my brothers and cousin to Spurs so I should support them. But I never caught the spurs bug and chose City.

[quote user="Herman "]No, no and no. They had no influence over who I supported. In fact my dad used to take me, my brothers and cousin to Spurs so I should support them. But I never caught the spurs bug and chose City.[/quote]

That explains a lot

[quote user="kick it off"]I grew up 200miles from Norwich, but my Dad is from Norfolk and is City through and through, so there was never any chance of me supporting anyone else. I went to my first game before I was 3 years old, followed us up and down the country ever since I can remember, and he even took me out of school for the day to make the 7 hour round trip to be there when we put Bayern to the sword aged 6.
I now live in Derby, but when I have kids, they will also be Norwich fans, there is simply no other option.

[/quote]

Derby were my local team, but having the same choice I chose Norwich! If they did go to Derby they could watch Chris Martin...

My late Dad really didnt get football and would even turn Match of the Week off saying "have you nothing better to do", also absolutely no football, let alone City fans in the family at all, just me...and it was neighbours and my Dad''s boss who got me into supporting our great club. 

My dad is a norwich fan and from Gorlstone but moved to Surrey when he was 6. From his side if the family most are palace fans. My mums from Southampton so all her family support the saints. My 2 older brothers are spurs and palace. Strangely enough I didn''t copy my dad, I didn''t want to be a glory fan like most kids at my school, they were all Liverpool and man utd so I decided to pick a team mid table so I wasn''t a glory hunter but I also didn''t support a sh!! Team. Turns out we been more sh!! Than good haha!

[quote user="Herman "]No, no and no. They had no influence over who I supported. In fact my dad used to take me, my brothers and cousin to Spurs so I should support them. But I never caught the spurs bug and chose City.[/quote]

The Spurs bug? Is that what was in that curry a few years ago? 

Similar story to Herman. My Dad''s a West Ham fan. Used to take me along to the Boelyn ground as a kid, but I never felt the love and could not quite understand what all the fuss was about. He did have a success with my younger brother though.

Then I lived in Norwich for a few years, went along to Carrow Road, got the passion and then knew what all the fuss is about.

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]Similar story to Herman. My Dad''s a West Ham fan. Used to take me along to the Boelyn ground as a kid, but I never felt the love and could not quite understand what all the fuss was about. He did have a success with my younger brother though.

Then I lived in Norwich for a few years, went along to Carrow Road, got the passion and then knew what all the fuss is about.[/quote]

Pretty much how I felt about Derby. My dad has never really been interested in club football but got into England when Italia 90 became a bonding experience for us both and switched me on to football. For some reason he took me to Derby quite a few times when I was 12 or so, not sure why really, perhaps he was trying to bond again. But I never felt the love (for Derby, not my Dad!)

Dad was an Arsenal fan having been billeted near there while in the army. It was my grandad who took me to my first games in an old Austin car,even had a running board along the side in about 1963 or 4 when i was ten. I will be forever grateful to him for that.

I "blame" my parents. Even though Mum and Dad moved to London in the 1960’s we used to travel back regularly to Norwich to see grandparents and of course go to a game as well when I was old enough. It started (and hasn’t really stopped) from there.

I was born in 1946 at Gt Yarmouth. My first game was aThird Div South game against Torquay. I was six and more interested in running up and down the Barclay terrace. Believe me there was plenty of space in those days!

My Mum was a Yarmouth lass who naturally was a yella. Dad came from Durham so was a Sunderland supporter but we soon converted him especially as we almost weaned him off the North East accent. Unfortunately he never mastered the Norfolk accent. When we talked about Water Boats he thought they were broadland craft and not something you wore on your feet on a rainy day!!

Unbelievably I have now lived in Bury St Edmunds longer than in Norfolk. You would be surprised just how many yellas live in these here parts and its a great place to live.

City ''till I die - and that day is getting nearer :-(

Went to my first match in 1959 with my dad and granddad and never ever thought of supporting any team but my home team - and proud of it. Both my sons support them and so does my granddaughter.

Dad, Norwich City FC. Grandad, City. Mum, City. other Grandad, City...it goes on.

I was born in Norwich so in turn also City...but moved to London at 8 years old and for many on here I should have switched there and then.

It doesnt work like that, so the "local" thing doesnt wash with me, hence massive the years to go huum and awaaaay and time and heartache and facing up to fellow Londoners who give it the "eh? whats all that abaaaat?" ...but regardless of that, even the thought of switching to me seems unnatural...probably easier to switch from breathing air to water.

As the song goes...City till...

I know I''m silly old bugger but reading this thread brings a few tears when you think all of us have those loved ones who have passed before us and all for the common cause.

To you Nutty especially a Merry Christmas!!

My dad''s a norwich fan and I''ve known no different, Even refused to buy a Liverpool shirt for my brother when he wanted one. But my mums a manc.

Grandfather used to watch City at the Nest before the war. Can still remember my first game in the early 60''s. Had to meet up at Grandparents house, and the old fella was already sat waiting for my father to arrive in the car. He had his long, fawn overcoat neatly folded across his lap ( it was August, note), flat cap on top the mac (for younger readers that is not a laptop), flask of tea by his side and a stack of ham and tomato sandwiches wrapped in greaseproof paper.

Before that match the biggest crowd I''d been in was probably around 100 or so souls in church for the harvest festival service. Going up to the city and standing in a crowd of 14,000 was pretty scary. So I suppose it was the sandwiches that hooked me on NCFC.

My Family traveled around a lot, but my Dad always believed in taking his kids to their local club. So myself and the rest of the family support a disparate range of clubs. I was born in the Norfolk and Norwich and my first memories of football are being taken to Carrow Road, I suppose when we left Norfolk when I was 8 it stayed with me. Norwich is my home town and its my home town club, in this day and age when people move around a lot the reality is many Norwich fans with a genuine local connection wont live in Norfolk anymore. I only get to see City 2 or 3 times a season, before this was because my Dad would (justifiably) only travel around the Southwest and South Wales, so I saw many games at Cardiff, Plymouth, Bristol City and even Exeter and Yeovil when it came to it, nowadays its because I simply cant afford it very often. However I make sure I go to Carrow Rd once or twice a year now and see a fair few away games, I''m looking forward to Palace away on New years day. Im currently hoping to do a masters at UEA, so with a bit of luck I''ll see far more football next year.