Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

It could be worse....

We could have Paul Lambert.

Villa lost to Palace today, four defeats in a row.

We beat Palace. They also lost to Stoke. We beat Stoke.

Fulham beat them 2-0, and their 0-0 draw at home to Sunderland the other week is worse than our 0-0 draw to Sunderland.

Pretty sure Lambert is playing with a bigger wage budge down there.

Amazing how people think the ''messiah'' is the answer at this level, possibly slightly out of his depth judging by current form and his failure to get goals out of Benteke.

[quote user="Le Juge"]We could have Paul Lambert.

Villa lost to Palace today, four defeats in a row.

We beat Palace. They also lost to Stoke. We beat Stoke.

Fulham beat them 2-0, and their 0-0 draw at home to Sunderland the other week is worse than our 0-0 draw to Sunderland.

Pretty sure Lambert is playing with a bigger wage budge down there.

Amazing how people think the ''messiah'' is the answer at this level, possibly slightly out of his depth judging by current form and his failure to get goals out of Benteke.[/quote]Lots of tweets from Villa fans tonight, oddly saying pretty much exactly what a lot of the wet pant types on here say.

"If we had Paul Lambert, he wouldn''t be in charge of Villa for them to lose"

Oh dear, you don''t sound too bright. The point is that Lambert has had the same amount of time and the same number of transfer windows as Hughton, has probably spent a similar amount of money, probably has a larger wage budget....

.... and yet has not proven himself to be any better than Hughton when it comes to building a team, organising that team, motivating that team and achieving results.

This isn''t even a pro-Hughton observation, it is merely me pointing out that Lambert isn''t doing any better than Hughton.

[quote user="Le Juge"]"If we had Paul Lambert, he wouldn''t be in charge of Villa for them to lose"

Oh dear, you don''t sound too bright.
The point is that Lambert has had the same amount of time and the same number of transfer windows as Hughton, has probably spent a similar amount of money, probably has a larger wage budget....

.... and yet has not proven himself to be any better than Hughton when it comes to building a team, organising that team, motivating that team and achieving results.

This isn''t even a pro-Hughton observation, it is merely me pointing out that Lambert isn''t doing any better than Hughton.[/quote]
LOL

How can any Norwich fan not be a Lambert lover? We were sitting in the lower positions of league 1, he got us promoted 3 times in 3 seasons and kept us in the premier league.

If it wasn''t for him, we wouldn''t have Hughton to moan about.

[quote user="Le Juge"]"If we had Paul Lambert, he wouldn''t be in charge of Villa for them to lose"

Oh dear, you don''t sound too bright. The point is that Lambert has had the same amount of time and the same number of transfer windows as Hughton, has probably spent a similar amount of money, probably has a larger wage budget....

This isn''t even a pro-Hughton observation, it is merely me pointing out that Lambert isn''t doing any better than Hughton.[/quote]Two too many probablys in there. I don''t know what the figures are, but what is true is that Lambert took over Villa at just the time Lerner was cutting back on spending and Lambert was effectively forced to offload experienced players and get in replacements from lower leagues and elsewhere. Whereas our financial position, with the paying off of the debt, was getting progressively better. As evidenced by our spending in the summer.

[quote user="Le Juge"]Where have all the Lambert lovers gone?[/quote]

I am a Lambert lover because I just think he was the perfect match for my club that that time, his gung-ho approach to he game and his constant confidence was just what we needed at that point, the constant late goals and the win bog or lose big mentality was spot on for a group of people who had been through many average and under enthused managers was on the money. However, I appreciate that we did well in our first year up and anything after that was always going to involve a change of mentality and a maturity / boredom to our play, that is part of being a mid table Prem team and anyone who thinks otherwise has not paid attention over the years.

Lamber was a God for our club and his achievements cannot be downplayed, I have not enjoyed watching City so much since Mike Walker was in charge (first time) and he should be heralded forever for that but we have moved on because he moved on, we are doing well and maybe we should be happy for that.

Hard to imagine a City fan that doesn''t love Lambert for what he did for us

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]Bang on Humph[/quote]

Thanks, obviously I meant ''win big or lose big'', I don''t think bogs ever came into it.

Sure, he did a great job here.

But what about those who crave his return?

Is he doing a good job at Villa?

Would you rather see £4m Okore here over Bassong?

Was £7m Kozak a better buy than £5m Hooper?

What is he doing at Villa that would lead people to wish that he was still here with us?

He pulled off a masterstroke signing Benteke, who he now can''t motivate (one season wonder?).

Westwood looks a handy little player.

But do people look at the Villa team he has assembled of various unknowns, many of who don''t look cut out for this division, see Villa losing 4 in a row - three of them against this leagues poorer teams.

Do Lambert and Villa fill you with envy right now?

Are you really as concerned as a Norwich fan with Hughton in charge as you would be as a Villa fan with Lambert in charge, at this moment in time?

17 permanent signings.

Are you really jealous of Villa? They look like they are heading towards the Premier League exit at the moment.

El Ahamdi, Westwood and Sylla...

.... or Fer and Tettey?

Baker and Bennett....

.... or Olsson and Garrido?

Vlaar and Okore....

.... or Turner and Bassong?

Kozak this summer..... or Hooper this summer?

A Lambert reign would have seen Lambert signings.

His signings haven''t looked too inspiring to me, how many of his 17 are you envious of?

He went at the right time, his luck is running out, and Hughton has been much more measured in his approach at Norwich than Lambert has been at Villa.

[quote user="Le Juge"]Sure, he did a great job here.

But what about those who crave his return?

Is he doing a good job at Villa?

Would you rather see £4m Okore here over Bassong?

Was £7m Kozak a better buy than £5m Hooper?

What is he doing at Villa that would lead people to wish that he was still here with us?

He pulled off a masterstroke signing Benteke, who he now can''t motivate (one season wonder?).

Westwood looks a handy little player.

But do people look at the Villa team he has assembled of various unknowns, many of who don''t look cut out for this division, see Villa losing 4 in a row - three of them against this leagues poorer teams.

Do Lambert and Villa fill you with envy right now?

Are you really as concerned as a Norwich fan with Hughton in charge as you would be as a Villa fan with Lambert in charge, at this moment in time?

17 permanent signings.

Are you really jealous of Villa? They look like they are heading towards the Premier League exit at the moment.

El Ahamdi, Westwood and Sylla...

.... or Fer and Tettey?

Baker and Bennett....

.... or Olsson and Garrido?

Vlaar and Okore....

.... or Turner and Bassong?

Kozak this summer..... or Hooper this summer?

A Lambert reign would have seen Lambert signings.

His signings haven''t looked too inspiring to me, how many of his 17 are you envious of?

He went at the right time, his luck is running out, and Hughton has been much more measured in his approach at Norwich than Lambert has been at Villa.[/quote]

I don''t disagree and I wouldn''t have him back now, he left for a reason (the job for year two was just too much) and so we have to move on but can we please not take his name in vain - I agree with you Le Judge (on the basis of what I have read) but Lambert was God and always will be; I will bore my son with stories of him for many years to come.

I used the wrong phrase when calling out "Lambert lovers".

As I too will always remember him very fondly.

I should have made it clearer that the people that I was calling out are those who still constantly crave his return and suggest that we would be doing so much better under Lambert.

Lambo himself hinted not long before leaving that he didn''t know if he could take us any further.

Fair enough, thanks for your hard work, probably right and cheerio.

I just want to try and illustrate how a Norwich City led by Lambert in 2013/14 might not have been as great as some people like to constantly try and imagine it would have been.

The signings that he has made at Villa are similar to the signings that he would have made at Norwich, possibly without Benteke for budget reasons (Hughton couldn''t sign a striker after all).

Our current manager has done a decent job in the transfer market, and I''m not too sure that Villa fans would say the same about Lambert. A few excellent signings (Lowton, Westwood, Benteke), but a hell of a lot of uninspiring junk signings who are already deadwood.

[quote user="John from the Tomorrow People"]If we had Paul Lambert, he wouldn''t be in charge of Villa for them to lose. [8-)][/quote]

If we still had Paul Lambert we''d be a Championship club....

You are right for all of the reasons he left, the man will always be a God to us but give him another season or two and his sacking may have changed that - does anyone remember the Red Dwarf where JFK survived, it is a similar thing?