Sign in to follow this  
Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . .

A question to those who still defend chris hughton

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . ."]Agreed Cantiaci. But i''ll put it out there again for Morty and others. Can anyone out there explain how we are improving and progressing as a side under Chris Hughton?[/quote]

Under Hughton we have signed an in demand English striker who is already proving his worth. Opportunities are being given to younger players and (bigger teams apart) we are always in games.

The younger players are learning and developing. Key players have signed long term contracts... Humphrey has also adressed your point above...

Perhaps you will settle for champions league? I am keen to hear where you feel a club of our stature should be?[/quote]
Go on then, I''ll bite! How about when we play well for 20 minutes and take the lead at home...... we keep playing for the next 70 plus stoppage time? I don''t expect Champions league, and want to be realistic, but I didn''t realise we were only allowed to compete for a portion of the allotted game time?

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . ."]Agreed Cantiaci. But i''ll put it out there again for Morty and others. Can anyone out there explain how we are improving and progressing as a side under Chris Hughton?[/quote]

Under Hughton we have signed an in demand English striker who is already proving his worth. Opportunities are being given to younger players and (bigger teams apart) we are always in games.

The younger players are learning and developing. Key players have signed long term contracts... Humphrey has also adressed your point above...

Perhaps you will settle for champions league? I am keen to hear where you feel a club of our stature should be?[/quote]
Go on then, I''ll bite! How about when we play well for 20 minutes and take the lead at home...... we keep playing for the next 70 plus stoppage time? I don''t expect Champions league, and want to be realistic, but I didn''t realise we were only allowed to compete for a portion of the allotted game time?
[/quote]

So you blame Hoots for that or do you think the responsibility lies with those on the field? Now expand on your point and explain how you would change it....

We''re not. But the board of directors share some responsibility for not acting last Summer. Unfortunately, with a significantly tougher second half of the season to come the dye is well and truely cast.

[quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"][quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . ."]Agreed Cantiaci. But i''ll put it out there again for Morty and others. Can anyone out there explain how we are improving and progressing as a side under Chris Hughton?[/quote]

[/quote]

So you blame Hoots for that or do you think the responsibility lies with those on the field? Now expand on your point and explain how you would change it....[/quote]
Gladly. This squad was assembled, not from has beens or players that we had to settle for, but players that we recruited that were gems at their respective clubs. As a manager it is CH''s responsibility to assemble a cohesive unit that plays well not just as individuals but as a team, with fluidly built passing and attacks, and applied effort that should be shown together as a team for however long they are on the field. 
The players do not simply go bad over night, and behind closed doors something is clearly not being addressed, whether it is fitness or just the standard of his coaching team I again do not know. But it is not my job to know. And as supporters it should not be up to us to address this, as we watch it happen week in week out.
I don''t remember watching a team that can look so good for a small part of a game, get in pole position and then just think they can afford to surrender trying to play. I don''t know many managers that would be so happy with consistent chalk and cheese performances without losing their cool. We are capable, other teams at the bottom aren''t. The guy in charge just doesn''t seem to want to take charge of the situation or acknowledge that playing for one half of a football match isn''t good enough. He built this team, and he needs to make sure with every effort he gets those players to do him and the badge justice. He seems to think what is going on right now is acceptable, as he only says how unlucky we are. It isn''t bad luck Chris, its a lack of application for the whole 90 minutes.

[quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"][quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . ."]Agreed Cantiaci. But i''ll put it out there again for Morty and others. Can anyone out there explain how we are improving and progressing as a side under Chris Hughton?[/quote]

[/quote]

So you blame Hoots for that or do you think the responsibility lies with those on the field? Now expand on your point and explain how you would change it....[/quote]Lol, you may as well give it up, folks just want to reserve the right to fold their arms, stick their bottom lip out, and whinge.

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"][quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . ."]Agreed Cantiaci. But i''ll put it out there again for Morty and others. Can anyone out there explain how we are improving and progressing as a side under Chris Hughton?[/quote]

[/quote]

So you blame Hoots for that or do you think the responsibility lies with those on the field? Now expand on your point and explain how you would change it....[/quote]
Gladly. This squad was assembled, not from has beens or players that we had to settle for, but players that we recruited that were gems at their respective clubs. As a manager it is CH''s responsibility to assemble a cohesive unit that plays well not just as individuals but as a team, with fluidly built passing and attacks, and applied effort that should be shown together as a team for however long they are on the field. 
The players do not simply go bad over night, and behind closed doors something is clearly not being addressed, whether it is fitness or just the standard of his coaching team I again do not know. But it is not my job to know. And as supporters it should not be up to us to address this, as we watch it happen week in week out.
I don''t remember watching a team that can look so good for a small part of a game, get in pole position and then just think they can afford to surrender trying to play. I don''t know many managers that would be so happy with consistent chalk and cheese performances without losing their cool. We are capable, other teams at the bottom aren''t. The guy in charge just doesn''t seem to want to take charge of the situation or acknowledge that playing for one half of a football match isn''t good enough. He built this team, and he needs to make sure with every effort he gets those players to do him and the badge justice. He seems to think what is going on right now is acceptable, as he only says how unlucky we are. It isn''t bad luck Chris, its a lack of application for the whole 90 minutes.
[/quote]

That''s interesting, thanks.

How do you know he isn''t trying to address these issues, would you be happier with a manager that came out an layer into his team after each game or would you rather someone who appreciated that these things have to be addressed behind closed doors?

My view, for what it is worth, is that you are right to be cross about the surrender on the pitch but I do not see what Hoots can do about this - he sends them out to perform and they are clearly fit enough as when they need to go for it they do. The problem is with the players and maybe they are sensing the apprehension that comes from the crowd, if they aren''t going hell for leather they aren''t trying.

I don''t think anything he has said or done makes it seem that he thinks this acceptable, instead he deals with things his way behind closed doors the same as Lambert did - how many times did you hear the words ''we pick ourselves up and go again'' and ''the lads have been brilliant for me'' during his time in charge, he didn''t lay into them in public and he gave little away as to his feelings and methods, Hoots is the same.

The OP raises a good point and it is telling that nobody has been able to provide an answer. The closest thing to a response is that the squad has improved. This is true but it just makes the performances on the pitch even more unacceptable. We have a better squad of players yet as a team have gone backwards in virtually every department other than Hooper finally providing some finishing ability.

There is no pattern to our play. No cohesion. The defence looks worse. The manager has ditched his preferred formation to appease the fans and despite a couple of luckily wins the result is we are averaging under 40% possession in our last few games and giving teams lots of chances. At least last season when we were dull we were often able to kill games by keeping it tight. Now we back off and let teams have as much time and space as they want. This manager is poor, one dimensional and tactically deficient/over cautious slthough perhaps thats being kind. another possibility is hes just a bit thick. otherwise I am at a loss at to how to explain why he is do slow to react to obvious problems that virtually everyone in the ground can see.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"][quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . ."]Agreed Cantiaci. But i''ll put it out there again for Morty and others. Can anyone out there explain how we are improving and progressing as a side under Chris Hughton?[/quote]

[/quote]

So you blame Hoots for that or do you think the responsibility lies with those on the field? Now expand on your point and explain how you would change it....[/quote]Lol, you may as well give it up, folks just want to reserve the right to fold their arms, stick their bottom lip out, and whinge.[/quote]

In fairness at least Seattle answered the question and did so without name calling - others however are less forthcoming with their wisdom, the OP is an example. Also, they seem to have a real hardon for you which, for a man who rarely comes on here now, seems a little weird on their part.

To analyse how far we have improved this season now is just unrealistic. We are integrating seven players into the squad some of whom have not played in the Prem including two playing in a new country. Some have been injured as well.

Teams do not tell and build understanding overnight and when players burst on the scene they often burn bright and short. See Jelavic and Benteke.

I appreciate this is too reasoned an argument for some but we are behind the curve because of injuries and disruptions. Hooper and Rucky have been out. We miss Tettey a scarily large amount.

All in all, we are in a reasonable given the circumstances of our means and the task in hand this season.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]To analyse how far we have improved this season now is just unrealistic. We are integrating seven players into the squad some of whom have not played in the Prem including two playing in a new country. Some have been injured as well.

Teams do not tell and build understanding overnight and when players burst on the scene they often burn bright and short. See Jelavic and Benteke.

I appreciate this is too reasoned an argument for some but we are behind the curve because of injuries and disruptions. Hooper and Rucky have been out. We miss Tettey a scarily large amount.

All in all, we are in a reasonable given the circumstances of our means and the task in hand this season.[/quote][Y]

[quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"]That''s interesting, thanks.

How do you know he isn''t trying to address these issues, would you be happier with a manager that came out an layer into his team after each game or would you rather someone who appreciated that these things have to be addressed behind closed doors?

My view, for what it is worth, is that you are right to be cross about the surrender on the pitch but I do not see what Hoots can do about this - he sends them out to perform and they are clearly fit enough as when they need to go for it they do. The problem is with the players and maybe they are sensing the apprehension that comes from the crowd, if they aren''t going hell for leather they aren''t trying.

I don''t think anything he has said or done makes it seem that he thinks this acceptable, instead he deals with things his way behind closed doors the same as Lambert did - how many times did you hear the words ''we pick ourselves up and go again'' and ''the lads have been brilliant for me'' during his time in charge, he didn''t lay into them in public and he gave little away as to his feelings and methods, Hoots is the same.[/quote]
I know what you''re saying. I get that Lambert used to have his methods and way of doing post match interviews, but it was never such a prolonged period of bad performances under him. There comes a point where it might be refreshing to have a little honesty, and show a little bit of emotion and that you care to the supporters.
The rest I cannot argue with. As I said I don''t know the answer, only the question. And its the question that has frustrated me for about a year now during his tenure.

[quote user="Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . ."]After around 18 months in charge, including having the biggest transfer budget in NCFC history, how exactly, are we progressing and improving as a side in your eyes?[/quote]

Not improved at all. I would go so far to say that we''ve gone backwards.

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"]That''s interesting, thanks.

I don''t think anything he has said or done makes it seem that he thinks this acceptable, instead he deals with things his way behind closed doors the same as Lambert did - how many times did you hear the words ''we pick ourselves up and go again'' and ''the lads have been brilliant for me'' during his time in charge, he didn''t lay into them in public and he gave little away as to his feelings and methods, Hoots is the same.[/quote]
I know what you''re saying. I get that Lambert used to have his methods and way of doing post match interviews, but it was never such a prolonged period of bad performances under him. There comes a point where it might be refreshing to have a little honesty, and show a little bit of emotion and that you care to the supporters.
The rest I cannot argue with. As I said I don''t know the answer, only the question. And its the question that has frustrated me for about a year now during his tenure.
[/quote]

But under Lambert we were only in the Prem for one year, prior to that we always had a Barnsley or Colchester to look forward to to boost the confidence, now we have one team stuffed with top players after another and results are hard to come by and confidence is even harder. Going all out is not the answer and Lambert left because he could see that, he didn''t walk from us to another team of a similar ilk because he thought we would survive, he jumped because he thought survival was the best we could hope for; our expectations haven''t changed in that regard. We are on course to achieve that aim and maybe we should appreciate what we have, just remember all the clubs that haven''t - Charlton and Cubishley, Wigan and Jewell, Wolves and Mcarthy and so on.

Thanks for the discussion.

Interesting. Plenty of people out there who believe chris hughton is the right man for the job. Yet none of them have been able to come up with a convincing, coherent explanation, as to how we are improving and progressing, as a side, under his management. . .

[quote user="Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . ."]Interesting. Plenty of people out there who believe chris hughton is the right man for the job. Yet none of them have been able to come up with a convincing, coherent explanation, as to how we are improving and progressing, as a side, under his management. . .[/quote]

Interesting, you have offered no opinion of your own as to how the team should be performing and what you would change let alone explaining your expectations so maybe you would like to have a go or are you about to hit Ipswich Town centre for a night out?

[quote user="Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . ."]Interesting. Plenty of people out there who believe chris hughton is the right man for the job. Yet none of them have been able to come up with a convincing, coherent explanation, as to how we are improving and progressing, as a side, under his management. . .[/quote]Is the answer still that you are a moron trying to prove a petty point?Do you honestly think that a football team in the Premiership has the right to improve every year? By your logic we should have Champions league if we stay here for 4 or 5 seasons.Also I''ll point out that you are making a judgement on the season, when it hasn''t actually finished yet.

[quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"][quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"]That''s interesting, thanks.

[/quote]

But under Lambert we were only in the Prem for one year, prior to that we always had a Barnsley or Colchester to look forward to to boost the confidence, now we have one team stuffed with top players after another and results are hard to come by and confidence is even harder. Going all out is not the answer and Lambert left because he could see that, he didn''t walk from us to another team of a similar ilk because he thought we would survive, he jumped because he thought survival was the best we could hope for; our expectations haven''t changed in that regard. We are on course to achieve that aim and maybe we should appreciate what we have, just remember all the clubs that haven''t - Charlton and Cubishley, Wigan and Jewell, Wolves and Mcarthy and so on.

Thanks for the discussion.[/quote]
The only issue I have is I have seen us reach our potential in games, and if that level of play was kept us we could be doing better than we are in the table. Also if we played to our best all season for the full 90 minutes and 14th was our position I''d be delighted. But this team is sitting 14th after going missing a lot. Therefore I can''t be as quick to celebrate a team only giving it 50%, when we could and should be about where Sounthampton are.
Same to you. Nice to leave the name calling out of it [Y]

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"][quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"]That''s interesting, thanks.

[/quote]

Thanks for the discussion.[/quote]
The only issue I have is I have seen us reach our potential in games, and if that level of play was kept us we could be doing better than we are in the table. Also if we played to our best all season for the full 90 minutes and 14th was our position I''d be delighted. But this team is sitting 14th after going missing a lot. Therefore I can''t be as quick to celebrate a team only giving it 50%, when we could and should be about where Sounthampton are.
Same to you. Nice to leave the name calling out of it [Y]
[/quote]

I''m not celebrating but merely trying to recognise that we aren''t doing badly in the grand scheme of things, whilst we have spent big for us that has merely maintained the exposition we had last year and the year before, we are just not able to mix it with the top clubs in this league and so we are fighting with everyone else for the point available - under Hoots I think we will survive and I get sick of those who knock him without offering an alternative, it is all too easy to do but adds nothing to the bigger picture. There will always be those who snipe aimlessly and it is easy to do so but to offer an alternative view is the hard part and so far I haven''t heard a lot of reasoned debate.

Thanks again!

Assuming you''re refering to me Sir Humphrey. The only thing i have to add is this, no one (including yourself) has yet to provide a coherent explanation as to how after 18 months in charge Chris Hughton has improved the side in terms of peformances and results. As no one has been able to do so, i can only assume my initial instincts were correct, as the stats prove, we are in fact regressing. But i''m happy for somebody out there to convince me otherwise.

[quote user="Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . ."]Assuming you''re refering to me Sir Humphrey. The only thing i have to add is this, no one (including yourself) has yet to provide a coherent explanation as to how after 18 months in charge Chris Hughton has improved the side in terms of peformances and results. As no one has been able to do so, i can only assume my initial instincts were correct, as the stats prove, we are in fact regressing. But i''m happy for somebody out there to convince me otherwise.[/quote]

Welcome back, please provide the etas of which you speak and provide a reference so others can view them and please provide any suggestions you have as to how things could be improved / where you think we should be - this will form the basis of an adult conversation. Regards

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . ."]Agreed Cantiaci. But i''ll put it out there again for Morty and others. Can anyone out there explain how we are improving and progressing as a side under Chris Hughton?[/quote]

[/quote]

Where do you feel a club of our stature should be?

[quote user="Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . ."]Well i''ve seen some half interesting answers, aswell as Morty''s standard fare. But i''ve yet to hear a remotely convincing explanation as to how we are improving and progressing under Chris Hughton.[/quote]

You wont Answer where you feel a club of our size should be as it will be accepting where we are and thus Hughton su ceeding.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . ."]Agreed Cantiaci. But i''ll put it out there again for Morty and others. Can anyone out there explain how we are improving and progressing as a side under Chris Hughton?[/quote]

[/quote]

Where do you feel a club of our stature should be?[/quote]

Jas - I will answer that and people can reply if they want, I think we should be anywhere between relegation and just over top half, we spend little money in comparison to those around us and anyone who wishes to understand the game will know that wage spend is the key driver of league position. With a good run of results we can enjoy a cup run or a go at the Euro places but that is our lot, anything outside of this takes significant investment of the kind a team in Norfolk are not going to attract, let us be realistic and enjoy the ride.

[quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"][quote user="Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . ."]Assuming you''re refering to me Sir Humphrey. The only thing i have to add is this, no one (including yourself) has yet to provide a coherent explanation as to how after 18 months in charge Chris Hughton has improved the side in terms of peformances and results. As no one has been able to do so, i can only assume my initial instincts were correct, as the stats prove, we are in fact regressing. But i''m happy for somebody out there to convince me otherwise.[/quote]

Welcome back, please provide the etas of which you speak and provide a reference so others can view them and please provide any suggestions you have as to how things could be improved / where you think we should be - this will form the basis of an adult conversation. Regards[/quote]This was posted on another thread, but always glad, in my unspinning way, to help out. All three key indicators are worse than those for last season:

That results leaves the three key indicators like this:1) Points per game 1.055 (compared with 1.157 last season).2) Goals scored per game 0.888 (compared with 1.078 last season).3) Goals conceded per game 1.722 (compared with 1.526 last season).If this were to carry on we would finish with 40 points and a -31 goal difference

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"][quote user="Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . ."]Assuming you''re refering to me Sir Humphrey. The only thing i have to add is this, no one (including yourself) has yet to provide a coherent explanation as to how after 18 months in charge Chris Hughton has improved the side in terms of peformances and results. As no one has been able to do so, i can only assume my initial instincts were correct, as the stats prove, we are in fact regressing. But i''m happy for somebody out there to convince me otherwise.[/quote]

Welcome back, please provide the etas of which you speak and provide a reference so others can view them and please provide any suggestions you have as to how things could be improved / where you think we should be - this will form the basis of an adult conversation. Regards[/quote]This was posted on another thread, but always glad, in my unspinning way, to help out. All three key indicators are worse than those for last season:

That results leaves the three key indicators like this:1) Points per game 1.055 (compared with 1.157 last season).2) Goals scored per game 0.888 (compared with 1.078 last season).3) Goals conceded per game 1.722 (compared with 1.526 last season).If this were to carry on we would finish with 40 points and a -31 goal difference[/quote]

In how many years would a 40 point and -31 goal difference keep us up, just to complete the picture?