Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Does any team from 10th down convince you?

While I''m down about us and think we''re playing some very poor football, I have realised that none of the teams 10th place down are convincing me. Stoke are still boring, Swansea are struggling with squad depth and for goals, villa look completely disjointed, Fulham, hull and WBA look short of quality. All I see when I watch us lot pay each other is nervous, error strewn games usually settled by sloppy goals. It''s all a bit boring! Funny how despite us clearly looking poor, we''re only a point off 11th.

Agree completely, all these teams are much of a muchness and it is going to be very close come the end of the year. As opposed to the three or four mini leagues we are used to it seems to have split into two or three this year - title, safety / Euro and relegation fodder, and relegation fodder is clearly the largest subset.

I can''t see Swansea going down.

But there are easily 4 or 5 worse teams than us in this league.

West Ham and Cardiff will be very lucky to survive, I can''t see Sunderland managing it - blown too many six pointers and they have a difficult run in the second half of the season.

Palace are having a honeymoon period, they don''t have the right players to pull off a Pulis team and he is there to rebuild in the Championship (their chairman even admitted that).

Villa are going to lose Benteke, it is obvious.

We will be fine.

Whoever has a poor second half to the season will go down and it could be any three of the bottom dozen the way results are going at the moment. Palace and Sunderland would have been certainties had they lost today but the table looks different with todays very strange results.

We can''t afford to lose at Palace.

Jimmy Smith wrote the following post at 26/12/2013 8:19 PM:

While I''m down about us and think we''re playing some very poor football, I have realised that none of the teams 10th place down are convincing me. Stoke are still boring, Swansea are struggling with squad depth and for goals, villa look completely disjointed, Fulham, hull and WBA look short of quality. All I see when I watch us lot pay each other is nervous, error strewn games usually settled by sloppy goals. It''s all a bit boring! Funny how despite us clearly looking poor, we''re only a point off 11th.

I think that''s the point Jim. We are in the mix with a large number of teams who also share the potential to play well and the frailties that we display.

It''s the prem at the moment! and all we need to do is be a bit better than three of the others.

For us to get into the bracket above this is going to take a sustained period in the prem investing wisely the revenue we get from staying there and maintaining a level of stability within the club.

I have come to appreciate this and it is the only way we are going to eventually archive the level of performance that a lot of the fans, including myself have been crying out for.

We are going to have to be patient and hope that we can hang on in there for a few seasons, if we do then we may start to deliver what people want.

It''s going to be a long hard struggle, and we may not get there, but our best possible chance is by sticking with what we have.

It''s going to be a real test of our support.

Any combination from 10th down can go. Several clubs have already played their hand in the managerial merry go round with Pulis at Palace being the big winners for me. Nothing he has served up in the past could be any worse than what we have witnessed. The big worry is bottom clubs getting a bit of momentum. Others are in worse form than us at the moment but not that many. We have shown little sign of picking up points against the better clubs this season and unless that changes then games are running out for us at home having already dropped points against Villa, cardiff, Swansea and Fulham.If home form keeps you up this does not bode well. There will be twists and turns along the way but we are well and truly in the relegation mix

Everyone from Stoke downwards will be looking over their shoulders very nervously knowing they are embroiled in a relegation fight. As for our run in, I am genuinely not that concerned by it. The top 6 this season have show they are far from invincible particularly on the road. We shouldn''t be writing those games off, not by a long chalk.

I am confident that if we can get a fully fit squad we will survive comfortably - but IMO its any 3 from 12 that can go down and confidence will play a part in who stays up or not.    We are in the middle of that pack,  with some clearly worse than us and some clearly better.  Will be interesting to see where wet sham go,  4th best paid manager apparently  - can they buy themselves out of trouble or will carrolls influence save them?

I am less concerned by the last 4 games,  its daunting but we all play the same team twice across the season,  and if some have nothing to play for we could end up with some bonus points.    I am looking for the odds that we dont lose all 4 of those games as I think its going to happen.

The answer to the question is no, none of the bottom 10 teams convince me. However, it''s a question of scale and at the moment, based on our recent performances, we are one of the least convincing. Most of the others teams involved are at least showing a bit of fight, a bit of desire and more than the odd moment of ability while we lurch from inept performance to another against teams that are supposed to be worse than us. Even though we beat WBA, it wasn''t what I would call convincing. The draw with Swansea wasn''t much better and the point at Sunderland was a missed opportunity. Yesterday''s effort was a complete fiasco and we looked out of our depth.On top of that, I look at yesterdays results & I ask myself if it was us playing would we have won at Everton, would we have won at Villa, would we have got a point at Spurs and will we score 2 against Man U tomorrow.I''m afraid to say that based on what I''ve seen thus far this season then the answer to all those is no.

As I have said elsewhere, I actually think the league is very poor this year.

Any of the bottom 12 could be relegated in the same way that only 8 points separate the top 8.

Of the 12 teams we have faced there have only been one or two that have shown anything in terms of genuine class this season. One of those being Southampton - although they have splashed some serious cash to obtain it.

Has the Premiership always been like this? Its hard to judge any other teams performances because we only see our own and snapshots of the others when they play us. You have to rely on highlights. When I lived in New Zealand they televised every Premiership game, so I recorded all of them, but of course once I realised what Id done the most I did was flick through them at x30, which more or less becomes MOTD. When Norwich werent in the Premier League, I ahd the opinion that the football played by the Premier League was generally very high standard, but of course, this came from highlights shows. Now we''re all regularly exposed to the Premier League, I agree in that, outside of the big 6, the quality in a lot of games seems pretty poor. Has the standard always been like this amongst the ''also-rans'' or is it a recent thing, and a product of the contemporary tactics adopted by those managers, who might admit their primary objective each season is to stay up?