Sign in to follow this  
im spartacus canary

i'm just bored

It''s no fun at carrow road any more, No atmosphere, John Farnham on the tannoy and i spend half of the game looking at other scores on the samsung, I know there is no devine right to win  or even play well but it is now becoming a 90 minute ordeal, something to get through before you can get back to the warmth of the car. I nearly joined the early leavers today, nearly [:(]

A caller on CC said similar. 
Just my personal opinion. It''s just what EPL football has evolved into for an average team like ours and a slack handful of others. Generally speaking the 90 minute ins and outs of an entertaining game of football has pretty much been flushed down the bog.  All for the sake of trying to scrape enough points together for one more season.  When zero points are gained you''re left with what we have today.  Pissed off fans, hacked off over a shoddy game of footie.
I''d never suggest abandoning support for the club. But on an away match perhaps tearing ourselves away from the streams and radio and take in a £6 non league game to get that feeling back that, the match is about playing the game, and not about chasing the money as it were.

[quote user="morty"]Man up.[/quote]
It''s hardly a case of manning up.  Believe it or not fans don''t attend the games for the same reason.  Some actually go in the hope to see an entertaining game of football.
It''s just how it is.

[quote user="John from the Tomorrow People"][quote user="morty"]Man up.[/quote]
It''s hardly a case of manning up.  Believe it or not fans don''t attend the games for the same reason.  Some actually go in the hope to see an entertaining game of football.
It''s just how it is.
[/quote]People have some very, very short memories if they think times are bad just now.I haven''t been supporting as long as some, and can remember football far, far worse than this.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="John from the Tomorrow People"][quote user="morty"]Man up.[/quote]
It''s just how it is.
[/quote]People have some very, very short memories if they think times are bad just now.I haven''t been supporting as long as some, and can remember football far, far worse than this.

[/quote]
You''re probably right Morty, but I bet there was a certain number of fans complaining of something then.
Most of us are East Anglians we''re not happy until we have moan about something.[:)]

Morty I was cold and needed a pee. It was a dreadful game and got worse as the game progressed. I just knew that Norwich were going to loose and that the referee would prefer Fulhamover the lads. I wanted to go home at half-time but one does not do that if you are a Norwich fan. I am not going any more. Not have to face that unpleasent young man surveying season tickets at the entrance to the service lift standing with his legs apart barring the way who does not say "welcome", "good afternoon" or even "thank you", That will be a bonus. Miss seeing my son through, He helped me up the hill on the way back. Great guy!

morty a boring miserable experience is becoming the norm now... i''m not a season ticket holder but i''ve only missed the cardiff game cos other people who are bored keep lending me there season ticket...  there is no atmosphere any more.. it is a soul destroying experience at the moment it is like visiting the in laws at christmas no one wants to be there and people are counting down the minutes til they can go home, it''s rubbish

[quote user="im spartacus"]morty a boring miserable experience is becoming the norm now... i''m not a season ticket holder but i''ve only missed the cardiff game cos other people who are bored keep lending me there season ticket...  there is no atmosphere any more.. it is a soul destroying experience at the moment it is like visiting the in laws at christmas no one wants to be there and people are counting down the minutes til they can go home, it''s rubbish [/quote]So don''t go.

I suppose it''s different for everyone. I don''t get to enough games to say really, but whenever I am there, I don''t care if the game is dour or if we''re shockingly bad. I very rarely get bored. I am always in analysis mode, looking at how we''re playing, who''s out of position, who''s moving etc. The entertainment isn''t a main thing for me - I''m more interested in how and why teams are winning.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="im spartacus"]morty a boring miserable experience is becoming the norm now... i''m not a season ticket holder but i''ve only missed the cardiff game cos other people who are bored keep lending me there season ticket...  there is no atmosphere any more.. it is a soul destroying experience at the moment it is like visiting the in laws at christmas no one wants to be there and people are counting down the minutes til they can go home, it''s rubbish [/quote]So don''t go.[/quote]good advice  i''ve turned down a couple of tickets for the man u game in favour of a fibre optic stream and a glass of enva cream [:D]

Stupid solution.

The boring games are not typical Prem mid and low level, they are typical Norwich under Hughton. Even our wins are boring to casual fans. You can''t say that about all the other bottom 12.

Ok you can just to be an obnoxious prrick or to show how deep your head is buried.

The OP''s correct, it isn''t any fun any more. I think it''s partly because of the way football has sold out to moneyed owners and tv creating a league that clearly has two tiers that are virtually impenetrable by either side. This lack of competitiveness creates dull, desperate, risk-averse football as the only aim is to maintain a mediocre position in the rich mans league. Where''s the fun and achievement in that?

For us, we''d rather risk a few defeats and go down in a blaze of glory. For a manager like CH, he''d rather have narrow defeats and a sequence of mid-table finishes on his c.v. for when he inevitably moves on. Managers have a finite period at a club and success for him would be to appear a safe pair of hands with an experienced PL track record for when the likes of the Spurs job comes up. I''m not saying they''ll likely ever want him, but in his mind that''s probably the goal. From that point of view he doesn''t care whether we''re entertained, or if the players are developing, or even building the squad in the longer term. All he cares about is getting enough points on the board to stay up and have another Prem League campaign on his cv.

When PL took over he often spoke about "the project" and his goals coincided nicely with the fans because it was all about building the squad and continued growth. Now we''ve got where we want to be, there''s very little else to do but plod on and maintain, which in itself isn''t new and fun or hugely challenging. If you''re only playing for mid table all you''re playing for is money, and what can you do with that money when you get it? Maintain a squad of players who will never finish much higher than they are already. And never play good football because the collective wisdom of those backing CH is that you can''t expect that in this league.

The problem is, far too many times we watch cautious, bland, uninspiring "performances" and after a while you start to question whether you actually care how the game will end up. Because the manager doesn''t seem that fussed as long as he keeps his job. Or many of the players. They''re here for the "Premier League" experience and all the money, attention and potential big moves, but they''re not really trying to bring glory to a team that will almost certainly never win anything. They will try and impress as individuals, but winning as a team? Great if it happens but not something they feel personal responsibility for.

The PL is a promised land which is not all it''s cracked up to be. And before a "Morty" figure tells me to stop going, I am considering it after having a season ticket for 30 years. Which is very sad.

I have to agree with the OP, whether its the tactics or its just how life is for a lower half premiership club I don''t know.

The bottom line though is that I don''t feel at the moment that whats on offer is worth the season ticket cost, petrol, food, parking etc. Its just not value for money. I have supported the club for just over thirty years and been a season ticket holder for eleven seasons and I hate admitting that home match days are a poor experience. I have those feelings of being absolutely gutted when we lose and elated when we win like any other supporter.

So to that end I''m seriously considering giving up my season ticket and taking my chances with casual tickets next season. I just can''t justify that sort of money any more on something which isn''t particularly enjoyable.

@Houston Canary: Have you seen much of the premiership this season? Hell, throw in some of last season as well?

WBA - Rubbish without Lukaku.

Cardiff - Dull, Caulker and Medel appart, just dross.

Aston Villa - Benteke is proving to be their one star, when he isn''t firing, none of them are.

Hull - Huddlestone back to his best, Livermore impressing and ofcourse a lot has to be said about the man a lot of people said they wouldn''t have here - their manager, Steve Bruce.

Stoke - Better, but I think Hughes is realising he is can''t squeeze class out of bruisers.

Palace - Bought mainly flops and although some are showing some life they are still struggling and playing poor football.

Fulham - I still rate Parker as a very influential player, he never gives up and just keeps going. They won, but I wouldn''t say they were any better than us, they certainly didn''t look very good at all. The hardest bit of that is that''s probably the best they can do, where we know it isn''t the best we can do.

West Ham - Big Sam football. Never that attractive in the first place. Now they are without the only real target man they have, they have no one to get on the end of their hoofs.

Sunderland - hardly any good.

So please tell me which of those teams are any more appealing to watch than us?

The only one you could argue for is Hull, and that is largely down to Steve Bruce and the fact that they are considered an underdog. The game Vs Man Utd was entertaining but the scoreline in the first half at least did flatter them.

[quote user="Bagpuss"]I have to agree with the OP, whether its the tactics or its just how life is for a lower half premiership club I don''t know.

The bottom line though is that I don''t feel at the moment that whats on offer is worth the season ticket cost, petrol, food, parking etc. Its just not value for money. I have supported the club for just over thirty years and been a season ticket holder for eleven seasons and I hate admitting that home match days are a poor experience. I have those feelings of being absolutely gutted when we lose and elated when we win like any other supporter.

So to that end I''m seriously considering giving up my season ticket and taking my chances with casual tickets next season. I just can''t justify that sort of money any more on something which isn''t particularly enjoyable.[/quote]The problem seems to be that far too many people think supporting NCFC is going to be all "up". It isn''t and it never has been. The cold reality is that for every "up" season there are countless "down" seasons full of boredom and dross. It''s the nature of supporting a club like ours. And please don''t tell me it''s all about the style of football. We go to see our team win not to see them play pretty patterns and lose.If there had been an Internet Forum in the 1950''s it would have been filled with the same moaning and groaning that we see today and that goes for any decade your care to mention. Look at the history of our average attendances and you will see how they reflect the excitement and quality that was on offer at the time. People are happy when the team is doing well and unhappy when it isn''t, always has been and always will be. Managers come and go, some have success but eventually nearly all end in failure. You can swap your manager and it makes a difference or you can swap your manager and it doesn''t. I have seen all these scenarios played out before and no doubt will again in the future.If you wanted a team to support that had a lot more success than failure you made a mistake in picking NCFC. If you can''t live with the fact that our time in the spotlight will be strictly limited by who we are and where we come from, then you need to let it go because you will never find happiness in being a City supporter.

Ricardo, after thirty years of supporting & going, and eleven years of going every week, I realise that there are ups and downs. And I don''t agree with this argument about winning in a boring manner or losing in a pretty fashion.....we will always win some, draw some and lose some games at CR every season but I pay my money to be entertained as well as see the team win, especially when expensive players have been signed. Yesterday was poor but so was Crystal Palace and we won that game.

I like to think that I am a level headed chap, I don''t go overboard when we lose or get carried away when we win. I''m not really a Hughton inner or outer, although I am probably leaning slightly towards out. I believe we have the players to finish mid table but at the moment they are underachieving and its not great to watch. Really hoping that they improve along with the entertainment.

Cheer up folks, season ticket renewal time will soon be upon us.......Then you can decide if you want or wish to witness the standard and quality of the football exhibited in this league or perhaps if we are unfortunate - the one below it.....next season?

It''s a personal choice with what one does with one''s disposable income......and only you should decide if it''s value for money......or not.

Chicken, I''m talking about entertaining games, not results. Most of your list provide far more entertaining games than we do.

If you think otherwise, then you should ask yourself the question you opened with.

Exactly Mello.

I was offered my season ticket a month back, it took me less than a second to say yes. I expect most will renew as always.

The reality is that if we gather enough points to survive most supporters will be happy whether they have been entertained or not. Entertainment at football matches comes in many forms, but I am sure for most supporters seeing your team win is the entertainment they want first and foremost. The reality is that in the premiership winning does not happen as frequently as we would like!

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Stupid solution.

The boring games are not typical Prem mid and low level, they are typical Norwich under Hughton. Even our wins are boring to casual fans. You can''t say that about all the other bottom 12.

Ok you can just to be an obnoxious prrick or to show how deep your head is buried.[/quote]How well acquainted are you with the rest of the bottom 12?  We aren''t playing great football, and it is pretty turgid stuff at times, but we are by no means alone in this.  Aston Villa are one case in point, Cardiff another.  Have you spent much time watching Crystal Palace or West Ham recently?  I''d rather skin my penis and wrap it in salt.

You often see comments that we''re not entertaining enough and it''s more about the performance, but I''ve still yet to see anyone lauding a great performance when we''ve lost. Could it be the two are connected in some way?

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]You often see comments that we''re not entertaining enough and it''s more about the performance, but I''ve still yet to see anyone lauding a great performance when we''ve lost. Could it be the two are connected in some way?[/quote]Yes, this is a good point.Effectively:When we don''t win, it''s "a results business".When we do win, it''s "an entertainment business."

Bagpuss. We are mid-table. In fact we''re 2 points away from top half.

Good opening post though. And yes it is boring. A good performance on Saturday would lift the crowd but in general the games will be dull and uninspiring. But be careful what you wish for..

But why is it this boring? And I don''t mean just us, if you look at the forums from Stoke downwards ( barring Hull) and you will see the same discussions as on here repeated on each forum. For a league that is billed as the most entertaining in the world the truth couldn''t be further from it. I sat there yesterday watching 2 very poor teams play football that at times looked like semi pro level in a atmosphere that was one of the worst i have heard. If football continues down this route then attendances will surely drop.

Anytime we''re in a league we can''t win anything it becomes boring. The same thing used to happen in the championship or whatever it was called before the brought in the play offs. Half way through this years champs and 18th is 10 points off 6th. They can all look upwards and have something to play for. In the PL 16th is 10 points off 9th and there''s nothing to play for bar survival.

Chops, I''ve seen some very exciting games involving Villa, crystal Palace, west Brom, Soton, Wham and others this season.

How many of our games would a fan of a team not involved in the game call his friends and say, Wow, did you see that Norwich game?

The win over Wham and .........

I disagree about the win over West Ham, the first half was just dire.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Chops, I''ve seen some very exciting games involving Villa, crystal Palace, west Brom, Soton, Wham and others this season.

How many of our games would a fan of a team not involved in the game call his friends and say, Wow, did you see that Norwich game?

The win over Wham and .........[/quote]I watched Palace v W Ham a few weeks back and it was the most dire pile of dross I''ve seen in years. I often watch other games on Sky and on streams and can''t honestly say any of those between the lower half teams are any better than what we see at CR. It''s the same everywhere in the lower half of the Premier, nothing to play for except survival and every team more concerned with not losing than winning.If you can''t learn to love the struggle then perhaps the Championship is the place to be but then we would soon be skint again and lurch from crisis to crisis.