Sign in to follow this  
mat gore

Overconfidence + Torquay

Just a few words of caution. I''ve spoken to a few people who almost seem to feel its a formality we''ll beat Fulham and stay up now.We haven''t won away all season and Fulham did very well yesterday. We have no devine right to win this one.I was listening to the results come in yesterday and heard that Torquay went down. They were dead and buried a few weeks ago and got themselves back to the point where they needed to win their last game to stay up, away at a side a few places above the drop zone. They lost and went down. We will too IF we get cocky.If we go behind next week we will have to be patient. We CAN do it but whatever happens lets enjoy it and well done to everyone in the club for a great season.

Formality???  We haven''t won away all season, have to play a tough team with talented players and go to a place we where we haven''t won since 85/86. 

I certainly don''t see it as a formality

Must admit Mat that I am with you on this one.  I am still very much in the pesimistic mode even though we are now in the driving seat.  A look at the fixtures see us away to Fulham and West Brom at home to Portsmouth.  Whilst it is never easy to predict games you cannot but assume that West Brom will beat Portsmouth.  We on the other hand have not yet won away from home all season.  The pressure will be enormous on our players to make this the first win away and it is with the added bonus of premiership survival.  Like a previous poster said it also depends on which Fulham turn up.  The good or the bad.  Will we do it god I hope so but I just have that niggling doubt that maybe this may prove to be one bridge too far.

I accept your point about a few fans getting overconfident. But not if you are applying it to the players as well. If you were at Carrow Road yesterday you would have been crying out for the players and management to show more confidence and self-belief. Yesterday Norwich allowed a ten man side to control a game they could have won comfortably if they had shown faith in their own ability as a team. Maybe the defeat at Southampton drained them of some of the belief that they had built up from beating Newcastle and Charlton. What I do know is that yesterday was a true test of their mettle and they held firm, even if it wasn''t pretty. While down at Selhurst Park Palace crumbled. Come next Sunday I hope the team show courage and coolness, and go out with the self-belief that when they play as we all know they can they will win. Self-belief is the key.

Mat & DD, I totally agree with you - we''ll get a draw at best, which will not be enough as WBA will win. That''s not being a "bad" supporter, it''s being realistic.