Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

concerned about Bassong

I am very concerned about him, his decision making is very poor to say the least. Slow in thought and action. Does not seem able to pass the ball in a forward direction.

If he does not show a huge improvement I can see him becoming like the Doc towards his last season here.

Some players can be great for a season or so then lose their way, but I can''t recall any players here who have been POTS one year and so dreadful the next.

Laid back in body language would not even begin to describe him at present. it must reflect in those defenders around him in terms of confidence.

[quote user="Ken"]I am very concerned about him, his decision making is very poor to say the least. Slow in thought and action. Does not seem able to pass the ball in a forward direction.

If he does not show a huge improvement I can see him becoming like the Doc towards his last season here.

Some players can be great for a season or so then lose their way, but I can''t recall any players here who have been POTS one year and so dreadful the next.

Laid back in body language would not even begin to describe him at present. it must reflect in those defenders around him in terms of confidence.[/quote]Bassong compared to the Doc?I truly have heard it all now.

I actually thought he was better yesterday. There were several times yesterday where he was looking to pass forward to our midfield but no-one was pulling away from their marker! It happens several times and he showed his frustration about it.

I really thought Fer was our week point today as well the decision making of our full backs. I''ve never quite seen such a lack luster performance from Fer, his inability to work hard defensively was all very plain to see.

[quote user="Ken"] If he does not show a huge improvement I can see him becoming like the Doc towards his last season here.[/quote]

Where is Lappinitup when you need him.

Seriously though Ken can I have a pint of whatever you have been drinking ?[:$]

I thought fer was an all round midfielder but his defensive game was very poor yesterday. Especially for Parker''s winner. We''ll see the best of him when he''s pushed further forward, like howson. Bassong missed preseason and still looks like he''s carrying some sort of injury to me.

I thought he did alright yesterday and still represents one half of our best central defence partnership alongside Turner.

But he didn''t have a great start to the season and this was obviously a hangover from having no pre-season.

He seems a bit confused to me, or fighting his natural instincts. I''m not blaming this on Hughton, but I wouldn''t be at all surprised if Bassong has been told to maybe not get too tight, not get drawn out of position, let the opposition have the ball in front of us and is too worried about doing this to let his natural instinct take over. So whilst the gameplan might be for the defence/midfield to do as above but close down when necessary, Bassong is still hesitant to close down.

I don''t know if that''s the case, but it''s how it seems to me. Even yesterday there were a couple of times (the main one I can remember being around the 15/20 minute mark which resulted in Fulham shooting just wide) where he seemed to get caught in two minds, go to get tight, but then backed off and let the Fulham player straight through.

Thought he had a reasonable game yesterday. There is no doubt in my mind that Turner and Bassong is our best partnership by some distance. Particularly as Bassong brings balance though being left footed. I think he is paying the price for a very poor start to the season where he clearly wasn''t fit and he was rightly dropped.

I think it is very obvious to everyone that he isn''t cut out for the captaincy, however. Whether it would be a could idea to take that away from him I don''t know but I feel one of Ruddy, Turner or Howson would all probably "carry" it better than Bass has done.

Bassong has always been dodgy. Always got a mistake in him

Never fills me with confidence especially knowing he''s been in relegated sides before (newcastle. Wolves)

We lost the game in midfield yesterday,  with neither goal down to defensive errors (was our wall win damaged,  once again a centre midfielder scores after not being closed down)

Bassong seems to be improving as his match fitness returns.   He has been better but was not really the problem yest.

Never been convinced by him and everything seems like a real effort for him! Since the new contract, has the look of a man who has his nice pension sorted!

Was the Bassong of last season because we were comparing him to the defenders that had gone before? When I watch Fer, alright he''s very inconsistent, but its so obvious that he is a step up in class/ability from what we''ve had in those positions before - all the things he does that other players simply cant do. Was Bassong last season simply a case of that, but now we''re comparing him with himself from last season and he seems terrible. Personally I dont buy the theory. I think he genuinely was that good last season and genuinely is that poor this season. What on earth has happened to him? Looks a shadow of his former self

I don''t think being captain is helping him. Some players become better with the responsibility, others look like they are distracted from concentrating on their own performance levels and he''s looked like one of those IMO.

["Ken"]I am very concerned about him, his decision making is very poor to say the least. Slow in thought and action. Does not seem able to pass the ball in a forward direction. If he does not show a huge improvement I can see him becoming like the Doc towards his last season here. Some players can be great for a season or so then lose their way, but I can''t recall any players here who have been POTS one year and so dreadful the next. Laid back in body language would not even begin to describe him at present. it must reflect in those defenders around him in terms of confidence.

The Docs last season at Norwich was the 2009/10 League 1 winning campaign when we won that Division by 9 clear points and the Doc was outstanding one of our best players!

God, 3 and a half years since the great Ginger Pele left us and still the urban myth about him being cr*p is still alive and well!

I agree that Bassong hasn''t been great this season and therefore I hope he does play as well as the Doc did for us in the 2009/10 season!

[quote user="kingsway"]The Docs last season at Norwich was the 2009/10 League 1 winning campaign when we won that Division by 9 clear points and the Doc was outstanding one of our best players!

God, 3 and a half years since the great Ginger Pele left us and still the urban myth about him being cr*p is still alive and well!

I agree that Bassong hasn''t been great this season and therefore I hope he does play as well as the Doc did for us in the 2009/10 season![/quote]

Very well said kingsway. [Y]

I still miss him. [:''(] [:''(] [:''(]

Unless I have been receiving the wrong games, Bassong has been slowly improving again over recent games and had a decent match yesterday as did Turner who will be missed.