Sign in to follow this  
ur just a man in a jacket

Your thoughts out of 10 so far this season

I don''t separate the team and manager. Both have only just been good enough. The table doesn''t lie.5/10

It''s not been the season that we''d hoped for so far, but I''d still give us a 5/10. I still believe we''ll be playing in this league at the end of the season under Hughton. However, whether he''ll be managing us next season I don''t know... He''s certainly got time to turn things around though, and the January window plus key players returning from injury is a definite boost.

3/10 and after some of the pathetic displays this season that is being generous.

Will these ratings go up or down tomorrow?

Results wise I''m giving a 4, assuming 5 is what was expected and anything more is above average.

Performance wise, a 2.

6/10

By material I think we stand only few points under where we should be. Some players have been abysmal and in some games management has got it wrong, but at the end that happens for every team.

At the end our players struggle to play game asked from them and management can''t find a solution to balance our game to suit our strenghts and same time keep the fans happy. Hopefuly we can get some more depht in midfield during January or Hughton goes back to basics and what worked previous season.

Difficult to rate half a season but I guess if we were bottom like Sunderland it would be a 1 for turning up and if we were 9th like Southampton it would be a 9 because it would be difficult to do better. On the strength of those parameters then it''s a 5/10 from me.

4/10

Would like to see us put in a performance against a big club, we managed to do it last season against Man U, we have strengthened since then and Man U are shaky, we can go into the game expecting something, hope to see a reaction after yesterday''s shambles.

If we get a point and show we can raise our game, ending half year on 20 points then 5/10.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]3/10 on the basis that we are not, as yet, in the relegation zone. Notwithstanding the money we have spent we appear to be moving backwards rather than forwards.[/quote]Can you please, please grasp the concept that we haven''t spent a lot of money by Premiership standards?It has been said enough times now. We may have spent more this season than ever, but we really haven''t spent much more than our contemporaries.

Hughton - Signings 6/10Team selection 4/10Tactics 3/10Formations 4/10Substitutions 1/10Motivation 3/10Courage 3/10Coaching 3/10Overall 4/10Team - Passion 5/10Fitness 5/10Passing 3/10Crossing 3/10Shooting 4/10Set pieces 4/10Defending 3/10Decision making 2/10Playing to potential 4/10Overall 4/10Combined - Goals for 3/10Goals conceded 2/10Points 4/10League position 4/10Entertainment 2/10Excitement 1/10Overall 3/10

Can you please, please grasp the concept that we haven''t spent a lot of money by Premiership standards?

It has been said enough times now. We may have spent more this season than ever, but we really haven''t spent much more than our contemporaries.

This is a myth. Of the teams in and around us we have spent more than all barring Cardiff. We are 9th in the list of summer spending. Newcastles so far successful season has been built on zero summer outlay and the loan signing of Remy. Hull spent 12.5 million, Stoke 5, fulham 8, west brom 12, palace 16, sunderland 19, Villa 20, swansea, Everton and west ham 21.

After the Fulham game i would put us at 4/10 as to where i had hoped and expected us to be. I had realistically hoped for about 24 points at the halfway point, not overly greedy and we are well short of that. If we do not turn over a couple of the big boys then we are in serious trouble this season with the easier home games running out

"JF"Can you please, please grasp the concept that we haven''t spent a lot of money by Premiership standards?

It has been said enough times now. We may have spent more this season than ever, but we really haven''t spent much more than our contemporaries.

This is a myth. Of the teams in and around us we have spent more than all barring Cardiff. We are 9th in the list of summer spending. Newcastles so far successful season has been built on zero summer outlay and the loan signing of Remy. Hull spent 12.5 million, Stoke 5, fulham 8, west brom 12, palace 16, sunderland 19, Villa 20, swansea, Everton and west ham 21.

It''s not really a myth though is it. We haven''t grossly overspent more than our rivals. And the largest chunk of our money spent was for only one player. And when did we actually buy him?

Yorkshire Canary wrote the following post at 28/12/2013 8:33 AM:

After the Fulham game i would put us at 4/10 as to where i had hoped and expected us to be. I had realistically hoped for about 24 points at the halfway point, not overly greedy and we are well short of that. If we do not turn over a couple of the big boys then we are in serious trouble this season with the easier home games running out

One of the high points of last season was our ability to occasionally turn a big team over, it would give us all a huge boost if we could repeat that this season, when better to do that than after a cr@p performance.

When did we buy him? In the summer transfer window, hence why he played for Sporting till then. If you look at that list of summer spend then we have grossly overspent many of our rivals. 27 million more than a Newcastle team we finished above last season. More than double Hull'' and West Broms outlay, 22 million more than Stoke, 19 million more than Fulham.

[quote user="JF"]Can you please, please grasp the concept that we haven''t spent a lot of money by Premiership standards?

This is a myth. Of the teams in and around us we have spent more than all barring Cardiff. We are 9th in the list of summer spending. Newcastles so far successful season has been built on zero summer outlay and the loan signing of Remy. Hull spent 12.5 million, Stoke 5, fulham 8, west brom 12, palace 16, sunderland 19, Villa 20, swansea, Everton and west ham 21.[/quote]

You just show that you can argue this both ways. You identify five teams in the same region as us, Cardiff who''ve spent a lot more but you''ve neglected to mention Southampton and that Newcastle spent shed loads last January essentially planning ahead for this season.

Herman''s point is correct. We haven''t spent much more than our contemporaries. More than some, about the same as others and less than some.

It was not a big summer splurge by Premier league standards.

All the teams had big bucks to spend, just like we did, you have to look at the squads as a whole and not just one window.

The other issue that has to go along side this is injuries, we have suffered this season both with long term losses and players like Pilks who has rarely looked fully fit when he has played.