Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

What does RVW bring?

I don''t want to make him scapegoat as he hasn''t played enough But for £10m I haven''t yet seen what he is going to bring to the table. He doesn''t seem to have any outstanding strengths other than his movement that none of our players seem to bother wanting to read. For me he needs to show us something soon or he''ll quickly be considered an afonso alves style flop.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I don''t want to make him scapegoat as he hasn''t played enough But for £10m I haven''t yet seen what he is going to bring to the table. He doesn''t seem to have any outstanding strengths other than his movement that none of our players seem to bother wanting to read. For me he needs to show us something soon or he''ll quickly be considered an afonso alves style flop.[/quote]Well he''s not going to bring that much after being out for 13 weeks, is he?

But He''s a lovely lad... he runs about and tries hard... bit like that Cureton fella did.

Ricky needs to show why he is our record fee and quickly.... not convinced he will be here past July if not.

I''m actually going to give him the full season, as right now he isn''t the answer, Hooper is. Whilst Hooper keeps banging them in, the pressure and spotlight is less on RVW. But come the seasons end if he hasn''t improved or shown a key attribute that he brings to the team it''ll be hard to justify the fee.
Elmander whilst he doesn''t score, I accept he''s a stop gap from Holt leaving, and does some brilliant dirty work, whilst not being too brilliant overall. Hooper is currently in great form, and has that killer instinct for goals. Becchio needs to be sold, for us and for him. RVW? I don''t know, he offers little goal threat even without scoring, and he fades in and out of being involved with play. 
Like I said I''m gonna wait, because there isn''t really anything he does right now good or bad, he''s just a bit meh. 

He''s only been here 5 minutes and he''s been injured for half his time. Let''s have a little patience eh?

I said when we signed him that he had flop written all over him, but I''m not going to consider myself correct until the final ball of the season has been kicked, he has half a season left to make an impact.

[quote user="christophedugarry"]He''s only been here 5 minutes and he''s been injured for half his time. Let''s have a little patience eh?[/quote]

So was James Vaughan.... still... patience eh?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]But He''s a lovely lad... he runs about and tries hard... bit like that Cureton fella did.

Ricky needs to show why he is our record fee and quickly.... not convinced he will be here past July if not.[/quote]
Foreign strikers do take some time to settle. RVW looked like he was getting into the swing of things just before the injury. Give the guy a chance FFS.

Most of all if doesnt get passes he wont score. We very rarely counter , we very rarely pass the ball behind lines. This is where Ricky is at his best.

He isn''t poacher like Hooper who shoot in every opportunity, but I would bet my shoes off that he is more clinical of these two. Hooper have had couple of chances where his technique has just let him down when the ball has been played in half open spot.

In my opinion he hasn''t done anything wrong yet and while he haven''t been miracle maker , where Hooper have scored some out of nowhere I think Hooper has gotten more support from rest of the team in those games he started where Wolfie was very lonely in first part of the season.

We simply do not play to his strengths. Before he got injured we were trying to mould him into a target man, which he isn''t.

He''s our square peg, and Hughton is trying to put him in a round hole. Instead of adapting his tactics to RVW, he''s and probably won''t, thus we will not see the best of RVW whilst he is here. He is a very good player

[quote user="Olly"]We simply do not play to his strengths. Before he got injured we were trying to mould him into a target man, which he isn''t.

He''s our square peg, and Hughton is trying to put him in a round hole. Instead of adapting his tactics to RVW, he''s and probably won''t, thus we will not see the best of RVW whilst he is here. He is a very good player[/quote]I don''t disagree with what you''re saying, but we haven''t had him in the team for 13 weeks, you can''t expect the manager to change absolutely everything about a team that, before today, was playing okay, just to suit one man.

Honestly can''t believe what I''m reading from some people.

He''s quite clearly quality. What o earth is supposed to do with a half dozen passes when he has to go looking for the ball with his back to goal 30+ yards out (and often out wide). Not his fault Hughton hasn''t got a clue how to use him correctly! and none of the midfielders either try (through instruction or otherwise) or lack quality to provide a decent ball.

Completley wrong signing for Hughton, don''t know how much he wanted him personally. But he clearly doesn''t know what to do with him.

Some people are f ing stupid if they think he is a flop after such a short amount of time, plus he has been injured half the time. Also we don''t play to his strengths, no movement or flow in the team, we play like sh*t, put RVP or any top striker for that matter in our team and they will struggle.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Olly"]We simply do not play to his strengths. Before he got injured we were trying to mould him into a target man, which he isn''t.

He''s our square peg, and Hughton is trying to put him in a round hole. Instead of adapting his tactics to RVW, he''s and probably won''t, thus we will not see the best of RVW whilst he is here. He is a very good player[/quote]I don''t disagree with what you''re saying, but we haven''t had him in the team for 13 weeks, you can''t expect the manager to change absolutely everything about a team that, before today, was playing okay, just to suit one man.[/quote]

No I understand that, I''m going more off what I saw pre injury.

"He''s quite clearly quality"

That''s the point though isn''t it? You have to be a quality player to ''flop'', as it translates into not meeting expectations.

Nobody can argue against Juan Sebastian Veron being a quality player, that''s why he was considered a flop.

Tal Ben Haim on the other hand couldn''t be a flop at QPR last season, because everybody already expected him to be rubbish.

[quote user="Olly"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Olly"]We simply do not play to his strengths. Before he got injured we were trying to mould him into a target man, which he isn''t.

He''s our square peg, and Hughton is trying to put him in a round hole. Instead of adapting his tactics to RVW, he''s and probably won''t, thus we will not see the best of RVW whilst he is here. He is a very good player[/quote]I don''t disagree with what you''re saying, but we haven''t had him in the team for 13 weeks, you can''t expect the manager to change absolutely everything about a team that, before today, was playing okay, just to suit one man.[/quote]

No I understand that, I''m going more off what I saw pre injury.[/quote]Pre injury we were still bedding a lot of new players in though.I am sure Hughton has an idea of how he''d like the team to line up, but hasn''t been able to pick from a fully fit squad.I am sure a fit Bennet and Pilkington would make a big difference to the chances created for Ricky.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]But He''s a lovely lad... he runs about and tries hard... bit like that Cureton fella did.

Ricky needs to show why he is our record fee and quickly.... not convinced he will be here past July if not.[/quote]It''s funny how you''re prepared to give Hughton as much time for the team to "gel" yet you''re not giving RvW any time at all.

He''s been out injured for 13 weeks!

You know what? I pray for a win every week just so all of the uninformed guess merchants don''t come on here spewing rubbish.

RVW has not cost £10million.

He clearly has class but as a foreign import it is often said by many in the game, it can take the best part of a season for a player to adjust and fully bed in.

The witch hunt on here at the moment falls somewhere between incredibly poor dark humour and utterly embarrassing.

"RVW has not cost £10million"

The fee was reported as 10m euros + 2m euros in add ons.

Presumably the adds on are performance related, and if so the only way that he won''t cost £10m if the figures are correct are if he...... well.... if he flops?

He cost around £10m, some reports say £8.6m, others £10.2m.

I also don''t buy into this "takes a season to adapt" rubbish. Any player who comes over with RVW should at least be showing a bit of quality straight away, there simply isn''t the time for allowing a whole season to adapt. If anything, look at jelavic, michu, Benteke and demba cisse, quality straight away and then poor second season.

I don''t see Leroy fer struggling or anything. I''m hoping RVW will kick into gear soon, as we need more than to rely on Hooper for goals. I just didn''t see anything useful from him today or from him versus Sunderland and I''m staying to get worried he may not be up to it, hopefully he''ll silence those doubts.

Sometimes strikers hit the ground running, sometimes they take a while to adapt, sometimes it just doesn''t work out.

Peter Thorne was a quality Championship striker before we signed him.

Remains to be seen with RVW, but I hope that Hughton looks to bring somebody in who compliments his style of play in some way.

Would have thought that little Wes would be the player from our current lot to feed the Wolf really.

What was it that had man United looking at him a couple of years ago? Would he be better in a team that is usually winning and on the front foot? A bit of a fair weather player perhaps?

Did the header 71 minutes into the first game of the season not class as showing a bit of quality right away? His movement has always looked decent and he is obviously a finisher.The start of our season was crap, even playing in the side he hardly had

a touch let alone a shot at goal, any striker would have struggled. He missed a couple of chances but he

also took his header on the opening day extremely well. Since his injury

he''s had minutes here and there but you would have to be crazy to judge

him on these. I expect when he is fit and playing in a side with the likes of Howson and an on form Fer/Snodgrass we''ll see him improve. Might need to get a real manager before we see the best of him though.