Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

is this it?

The doom and gloom around the place, people saying how they find it boring etc....

Is this as good as it gets for us now?

In the championship we were either going for promotion or fighting to avoid the drop. Even in the Rioch/Hamilton days you sensed we were only 3 or 4 signings away... it was entertaining, the club had "charcters" like fleck, Roberts, hucks, Bellamy etc over the years and the fans accepted their place.

We now sit 14th in the premiership, bottom half, there are no characters, no real relegation threat and no chance of the title. I think deep down the majority of fans know we have reached our limit. There wont be any breaking into the top 6... we might see the odd cup win.

The manger could be Hughton, Lambert, Malky or anyone.... the club will not progress beyond where it is now.

I am sure there are fans out there who would take relegation, possibly even want it. So that we can have our "day" and our limelight again... civic receptions and silverware...

For years we craved an established top flight side... now we have it.... now the future is mid table mediocrity and the odd cup win.... you reap what you sow....

We are premier league....

An interesting read Jas although I don''t agree with the all the points and certainly not when I read ''no real relegation threat…''

I believe in life you always strive to be the best you can. I don''t want relegation and we have signed some decent players. The board have backed Hughton tremendously well. Hughton agreed with this in a Sky interview pre season adding that if he didn''t reach targets set by the club it would be down to him. Sorry but Hughton and the dynamic duo have under achieved. Those three must be the luckiest of employees to still be in a job.

Yes we are watching slow boring football and that never develops or encourages characters or character. I can''t criticise any of the players as they seem to be restricted to a system that is robotic. I say system but I haven''t a clue what the pattern of play is and what the coaching staff are trying to achieve.

If we go down it will be so disappointing in many ways but the worst would be that we never ''gave it a real go'' The pain would not be eased because the media would repeat how Hughton is a really nice man.

The retort by some on here is ''well don''t go then''. Well like most of us, we will still go and I travel in hope of a win today but it doesn''t stop me thinking that this management team is not up to it.

If I travel home tonight and City have secured one or three points then let Morty et al accuse us pant wetters in his usual arrogant manner and I for one would accept that!

You''re wrong Jas, the club will progress. Just not at the rate that it has over recent times.People just need to be patient, and most of all, realistic.

I agree Morty. We are the best placed we have been for some time to progress in this league long-term, but it seems some want everything now. I guess that is the Premier League way however...

That said, the performances of the squad have been hugely lacking recently, and that is both hugely disappointing and unacceptable.

[quote user="I.S."]I agree Morty. We are the best placed we have been for some time to progress in this league long-term, but it seems some want everything now. I guess that is the Premier League way however...

That said, the performances of the squad have been hugely lacking recently, and that is both hugely disappointing and unacceptable.[/quote]I agree, some performances have been poor. I yearn for the day Hughton actually has a fully fit squad to choose from though. I honestly think with the addition of two or three players we could have a top ten finish on our hands.

You missed one Jas, no local derby. I tend to agree just slightly that going to games has become a tad mundane and unexciting.

I do sometimes hanker after a good old champioship scrap against teams of equal ability. Would I be dissapointed if we were relegated, yes big time but at least we''d get to see some exciting games.

[quote user="morty"]You''re wrong Jas, the club will progress. Just not at the rate that it has over recent times.[/quote]Progress? Our first priority should be to stop the rot

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="morty"]You''re wrong Jas, the club will progress. Just not at the rate that it has over recent times.[/quote]Progress? Our first priority should be to stop the rot[/quote]Our club is rotting?We are debt free, playing in the best league in the world, we have the best squad we have ever had, and last time I looked we''re not in the relegation slots.Yeah things could be better, but I''d hardly say we''re in some kind of terminal decline.

You have to be realistic. The way the footballing landscape has changed in the last 20 years means that 8th place is the ceiling that a club with the resources of someone like Norwich can achieve. Even West Brom and Southampton after excellent starts were pegged back to around 8th or 9th position. If you are really lucky like Swansea and Wigan were, you could also win a domestic cup.

I honestly believe Norwich''s 92/93 season will be the last time that a club mounts a serious title challenge without having any major investment behind them. Once you hit that top 6 the levels of investment which are required are absolutely scary now both in terms of transfer fees and wages.

It''s obviously disappointing because as supporters we''ve come to believe almost anything is possible after the last 4 years. Unfortunately, this probably is as good as it gets unless we can build a squad that allows us to have a tilt at one of the cups.

I know people like to think we can be as good as Southampton and Swansea, and we can, but the reality is they are one or even two season''s spending ahead of us.

They feel they have a strong and deep enough squad to be paying out £12million + upfront for individual players and more than one of them.

We can and have still been competitive.

I''d just like to see our team being comfortable on the ball and look to play attacking football. The entertainment value under Hughton is one of the lowest I can remember. Watching the likes of Goss, Crook, Phillips etc was a joy and I was genuinely excited for the games. It''s become more of a chore getting through the games lately. We''re never going to be able to compete with the ''big boys'' but I still like to see my team give it a go.

Ithink there is a very real relegation threat especially with our last 4 games. That''s why people are frustrated. We have a team capable of better things but a manager who bar a ten match spell a year ago isn''t getting the best out of them.

We are nit an established mid table team.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Ithink there is a very real relegation threat especially with our last 4 games. That''s why people are frustrated. We have a team capable of better things but a manager who bar a ten match spell a year ago isn''t getting the best out of them.

We are nit an established mid table team.[/quote]How do you know whats the best of players though?Are you basing this on price, or something else?The fact is, the price we have paid for players means they will have good games and bad games.People seem to be thinking that the money we have spent guarantees amazing performances week in, week out, and it simply doesn''t.We have spent an average amount of money for a Premiership team.

We have spent an average amount of money for a Premiership team.

From 10th position down only Cardiff spent more. Out of the others in many cases we over doubled their spend. Newcastle who are 6th and we finished above last season didnt spend a penny, only getting a very good Remy in on loan.

[quote user="JF"]We have spent an average amount of money for a Premiership team.

From 10th position down only Cardiff spent more. Out of the others in many cases we over doubled their spend. Newcastle who are 6th and we finished above last season didnt spend a penny, only getting a very good Remy in on loan.[/quote]This was the first summer we have actually spent what a Premiership club should be spending, we overhauled a very thin squad, replacing players that were only barely good enough for the Premiership, with players that I would consider to be average players, with a few being slightly above average.My point is more about what people expect for their money, not just about what other teams have spent.Newcastle have spent very big in previous transfer windows.

We are an established premier league team, but that does not mean that we are safe from relegation.

In the last 16 seasons. 15 of the teams bottom at the end of December have been relegated (we know who the exception is). 11 of the teams who were 19th at the end of December were relegated but only 4 teams in 18th were relegated and there is a lot of high placed teams who were relegated in 18th.

Apologies for the accent ... New mobile! All of the posts beneath mine I can see sense with but I just expect us to look a little more confident and effective from time to time especially with the players we have. We look more edgy and ineffective now than we did 2 years back with a motley crew of lower tier players.

In short, it would be nice to win a match comfortably from time to time and that didn''t happen against Palace, Villa, Cardiff, Hull, Sunderland, West Ham (to an extent) and Fulham and I hoped it would. That concerns me.

This was the first summer we have actually spent what a Premiership club should be spending, we overhauled a very thin squad, replacing players that were only barely good enough for the Premiership, with players that I would consider to be average players, with a few being slightly above average.

My point is more about what people expect for their money, not just about what other teams have spent.

Newcastle have spent very big in previous transfer windows.

That is very true and hopefully we have still some left over to add to what we have now. But i believe we have a right to expect more than what we have seen in performances this season. Can anyone honestly see any improvement from last season with these new players and the money that has been spent on them? Individually there is improvement in some cases, ie Fer and Hooper. But as a team I can see no improvement and that is down to the manager.

Until the "big" 6 or so clubs p*ss off to a European super league of some sort, yes, this it roughly it.

[quote user="JF"]This was the first summer we have actually spent what a Premiership club should be spending, we overhauled a very thin squad, replacing players that were only barely good enough for the Premiership, with players that I would consider to be average players, with a few being slightly above average.

My point is more about what people expect for their money, not just about what other teams have spent.

Newcastle have spent very big in previous transfer windows.

That is very true and hopefully we have still some left over to add to what we have now. But i believe we have a right to expect more than what we have seen in performances this season. Can anyone honestly see any improvement from last season with these new players and the money that has been spent on them? Individually there is improvement in some cases, ie Fer and Hooper. But as a team I can see no improvement and that is down to the manager.[/quote]I too want more, and yes performances could be better.But I struggle to recall if the manager has even been able to pick his first choice team this season. Right from the first game we have had influential players injured at some point or other.Ricky, Hooper, Bassong, Tettey, Elliot Bennet, Pilkington, Howson.The potential is there in the side, and I think we would benefit from being able to field a settled team for more than a few games at a time. We have seen signs of it starting to click, only for a key player to get injured, and Hughton having to patch things up. Because, lets face it, our squad is better than it has ever been, but we still don''t have massive quality sat on the bench.

A thought provoking post Jas..... and maybe this IS it. You are right, we are never going to hit the top 8 and II don''t want the Championship (although its a great league for competitive games). So it''s a case of hoping of consolidation between 17th and 11th. Small crumbs on the table I guess but the price we have to pay. What I do want though is to play like we did in the late 80''s / early 90''s even if that means once in every few games. I would love us to show some ambition in games. At least we are playing now with a couple of strikers. I would like the manager to substitute earlier and try and create change. I think he is frustrated like the rest of us.

Most of all, I don''t want relegation this year with potentially one of the better squads we''ve had. So I guess a nervy season is what I have to accept.

Teams no longer go to Swansea or Soton expecting 3 pointsdue to the effective attacking football they play. Ambition does not mean winning the league and realism does not mean accepting defeat.

I suppose that what I want to see is us earning points and credit for entertaining football and running the big teams close. Also I want a Fortress Carrow Road as opposed to the damp squib on Boxing Day.

Although we had more excitement in the Champ at times, we also had dire years there too with poor quality football and players.