Sign in to follow this  
Gingerpele

Team for tomorrow?

I understand what you''re saying and I understand you like to trust stats to help form your opinion. I don''t disagree that there''s a place for stats.

Here''s something though, why don''t you look at stats regarding average points won and goals conceded per game?

Or, if you''d prefer, I can save you a bit of time and tell you that of games started this season Whittaker currently has the more favourable stats on both of those very important matters.

[quote user="Ray"]GJP,

Not sure how many times I need to post this and yes I know stats can be misleading but;

Passes per game - RM 45.5, SW 27.8

Pass Success % - RM 80.4, SW 74.5,

My maths says, RM makes 36.6 successful passes per game, SW makes 20.71

Crosses - they are equal at 0.3 per game

Accurate long ball per game - RM 2.7, SW 2.1.

So RM plays 28.57% more successful long balls per game than SW.

So I just don''t get how people say SW makes better use of the ball, when the stats say the complete opposite, even allowing for a bit of damn lies, etc. RM still comes out on top surely.

Of course we can all fall into the proving ourselves right trap, that''s to say we will see what we need to see to prove ourself right, it;s called Dominant Thought and the brain is hard wired to prove itself right and will therefore see the things it needs to see to do so, which is why I tend to look at stats, they are probably less skewed than my barin will be when it serches for the proof I was right all along![/quote]

Ray get off a stat website and start watching Martin live at matches, martins positional play and mistakes on man marking etc he''s been terrible and contributed to a fair few mistakes and goals.

These stats on pass complete is rubbish !

Really, really hoping that Jonny Howson is waking up about now and thinking "Actually my back doesn''t feel too bad"

[quote user="Snakepit Ric"]Agreed morty , his attacking play has been great this year and made us look dangerous when attacking !![/quote]We definitely look better with him in the team, and I think Leroy really missed him the other day.

Other than Ryan Bennett for Turner it will be the same 11. Hughton thought we were great against Fulham so why would he change it?

If we were great against Fulham he clearly has lost his marbles. Fer never looks as good playing along side Johnson. Maybe he''s scared of Johnson''s passing ability !!

[quote user="Matt Juler"]Other than Ryan Bennett for Turner it will be the same 11. Hughton thought we were great against Fulham so why would he change it?[/quote]Where did he say we were great?I found this, which is pretty much what he said :-

"We didn''t make the most of our opportunities. I am really disappointed not to come away with a result.

"It is a concern when you do not get the result you feel you deserved.

"We would have liked to go into the Manchester United game on the back of a good result today."

Doesn''t mention "great"

If JH is fit and Leroy puts in a good shift we can definitely create in mid field, Hooper is on form and Elmander has been playing well, we will score goals. The big fear is how many we are going to concede,I am pleased that Ryan will be back today, also hope to see Martin in, Whittaker''s lack of pace was badly exposed on Thursday.

Thank you for that response GJP, I respect your opinion and understand where you are coming from. Just from my view I think Martin is easily better in defence, a leader and that negates the potential much better attacking play from Whittaker for me.

SnakePit Ric & GJP,

The stats are not rubbish, they are a numerical picture of facts, however as I have already said, I do understand that they can skew the overall picture. Snakepit, your advice, "to start watching Martin (and I assume you would want me to include Whittaker too) at live matches", leads me to the assumption that you think I don''t, if my assumption is correct then your''s is wrong, because as a season ticket holder I do.

GJP, whilst I do not dispute your stats re average points won and goals conceded they are team stats and not individual performance stats and here''s where stats don''t always tell the full story, RM played against, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool & Man City (Whitts played here too) so even if I was to include team stats then they would be weighted against RM if we took the ''quality'' of the oppo into account.

Having read all the comments on this post, it appears to me that there are more in favour of my point than against it, but maybe that''s me seeing what I want to see to prove me right (I haven''t bothered to do a count), however as I have said before my opinion proves me right and is a very valid one, well it does, and is, to me, just as yours proves you right and is valid to you.

My opinion is drawn from watching the two play and then backed up by the stats, or is it the other way round????

Anyway guys, enjoy the match this afternoon, and after such a dire perfromance on Thursday we are bound to win today!!!! Funny ol'' game football.

SKY report says re Russ Martin,

Involved in some of Norwich''s best attacks. The most touches of any Norwich player

GJP and Snake Pit Ric, I rest my case (for now)

I thought Martin had a very good game and I''d certainly keep him in for Palace.

GJP,

I thought they all played very well, BJ, RM and Hoolahan particularly, shame about the result.

I do have a concern over some of our substitutions and the timing of them and also why is it we play like amateurs one day (Fulham) and then like a top 6 side two days later.

What is it that makes the difference and whilst we made changes, I am of the firm belief this would not solely account for the massive improvement we saw today.

My feeling is the management team have no idea what it is that made the difference, because if they did we would play as well every game!

I would keep the same team for Palace and the cup game next week.

Very good to see that GJP. Makes it blatantly obvious to everyone you''re a sensible level headed guy who simply supports the team.

And I''ll take this opportunity to say once again, on an irrelevant note, to my biggest fans who think I think BJ is the bestest player ever and does no wrong. He does have weaknesses, he is far from the best midfielder in the Prem, he can be a liability. He is no longer first choice midfielder at the club when all are fit, and he was poor early in the season.

I just get upset at the over the top comments like he''s a championship ''at best'' standard, or crap or can''t pass etc...