Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

Verdict

Ruddy - solid and was unfortunate to be left stranded for the goal.Martin - back to his best.Bassong - should have made a much better tackle leading to the Utd goal.Bennett - unfortunate that his clearance hit a Utd player and the ball then went to a Utd player. However, he was covering Bassong''s mistake. Olsson - a steady game.Snodgrass - he tried hard and he did some good things but he looked tired from early in the game.Fer - another very poor performance. He needs an almighty wake-up call. So much talent yet so little application. Johnson - he tries hard but he looked tired during the second-half so that took the edge off his game. His passing ability is Championship standard at best. I felt a bit sorry for him at times because he was looking to pass but Fer wasn''t making himself available.Redmond - great injection of pace but wastes so many good positions. He should be playing on the right.Wes - some very nice touches but lost the ball too easily. Wes did his ''going around in a circle'' thing a few times. Just pass it quickly Wes and give the others a ''ollocking should they not be making themselves available for a pass.Hooper - did well from midfield positions but also got into good positions to score. He is similar in style to Rooney and is certainly looking focused. He is our best player.Wolfswinkel - When we attacked he was hopelessly out of position well behind play. However, this could have been Hughton''s instructions. RvW should be staying central as the furthest player forward looking to latch onto a through-ball.Murphy - good experience for the lad.Elmander - not much time. He looks like he has lost some weight since he joined the club.

[quote user="JF"]Stopped reading at the Wes comment. You are clueless.[/quote]Rather than being abusive towards me how about you try to debate points should you agree or disagree with them?

Obviously you didn''t see the game, Wes was excellent Fer was also good and even Bradley Johnson never misplaced a pass until the 87th minute.Did you buy anything in the January Sales?

Sorry to be so blunt but even those that don''t rate Wes have said what a great performance he put in today. In the first half he was almost unplayable and to sum his game up as you have is just poor.

Special mention for Bradley today - thought he was superb and passing was excellent. Would start him ahead of Tettey if he can find this level consistency.

[quote user="I.S."]Special mention for Bradley today - thought he was superb and passing was excellent. Would start him ahead of Tettey if he can find this level consistency.[/quote]You can''t say that on here however true it is. Don''t you know he''s a scapegoat, can''t pass, can''t tackle, totally useless so I''m told.

The whole team were superb today, hopefully Hoopers injury is nothing and we take that team and level of performance into the Palace match.

[quote user="ricardo"]Obviously you didn''t see the game, Wes was excellent Fer was also good and even Bradley Johnson never misplaced a pass until the 87th minute.[/quote] It seems that you didn''t see the same game because Johnson missplaced 13 out of his 58 passes.

Yep sorry, cant agree with much of your assessment once you get to Fer.

Wes was excellent, Fer looked like a different player from the one who didn''t turn up Thursday and one of my overriding thoughts throughout the game was "who has taught Johnson to pass like this?!".

Did you watch the game?

What range of passing Tom? What direction? Fairly irrelevant stat without qualifying it really.

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="ricardo"]Obviously you didn''t see the game, Wes was excellent Fer was also good and even Bradley Johnson never misplaced a pass until the 87th minute.[/quote] It seems that you didn''t see the same game because Johnson missplaced 13 out of his 58 passes.[/quote]Are you basing your opinion on what you saw with your own eyes, or someone elses stats?

[quote user="I.S."]Special mention for Bradley today - thought he was superb and passing was excellent. Would start him ahead of Tettey if he can find this level consistency.[/quote]

I said at half time that obviously aliens have the real Bradley but we should keep the one they''ve given us instead. I could not believe the skills he showed in the firt half. If he did that regularly, he would be a real force for us.

Get lost aliens, we are not paying the ransom.

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="ricardo"]Obviously you didn''t see the game, Wes was excellent Fer was also good and even Bradley Johnson never misplaced a pass until the 87th minute.[/quote] It seems that you didn''t see the same game because Johnson missplaced 13 out of his 58 passes.[/quote]oh dearso you spout out meaningless sh ite to defend your absurd squeakssays it all

ps would say that Hoolahan was oustanding today - mind you I was only at the game watching, so maybe I wasn''t counting how many of our throw ins on the South Stand side of the pitch in the first half travelled more than 8 yards, nor how many yards Hoolahan covered in the first ten minutes of the second half when he was in the centre circle - I tend to watch the game and the context in which individual acts of play are made

Tom,

Assuming yor figs to be correct, they equate to a 77.6% successful pass rate, which is as good as most and better than many.

So what is your point?

According to whoscroed Johnsons pass accuracy was 78% and he produced 2 key passes. While not astounding 78% is pretty decent for a player of his level.

I cant be bothered to look at every lower table Midfielder who played today but at a glance Diame 75%, Nolan 76%, Morrison 80%, Brunt 77%.

Yes there are players in the higher 80''s but these tend to be the holding midfielder like Noble and Johno was not sitting all the game today.

Just how much worse than average is Johnos passing? And how is that relevant to the fact that if you watched what he did with the ball today it was like he was a different player?

I''m not a Johnson fan but in the last few games he has been excellent, even his passing and the air he was brilliant. Great to see Martin back, in the first half in particular he was outstanding

JF wrote the following post at 2013-12-29 2:02 AM:

The whole team were superb today, hopefully Hoopers injury is nothing and we take that team and level of performance into the Palace match.

Yep, and they lost - again! One good performance against one of the top teams does not, and will not stave of a relegation battle if consistency is not maintained. You get no points for a good performance!

City 2nd, no doubt you are the sort that will then moan when we get a result but the performance isn''t good enough. What pathetic snivelling.