Sign in to follow this  
BOO

Best back four

Today we saw our best back four, great composure from Bennett! Olsson getting forward as usual, just wish Redmond would feed him on the overlap sometimes instead of always using him as a decoy, when he does get past his man his delivery is better than Redmonds. Good defending by Martin and again great forward runs, but with more pace than Whittaker to get back and cover! Seb same as usual but without some of the lapses in concentration we have seen in the past. None of the comic play out from the back that we saw against Fulham, all in all the best we can put out.

I agree Bennett deserves game time. He was unlucky with the clearance yesterday - but I''m sure if the situation arises again he''ll play to touch rather than try and smack it forward (safety first!).

On Redmond, he''s a fantastic player but needs to sort out his delivery and final ball. His decision making will come with experience, he''s definitely got the talent and improves with every game.

In terms of our defending, conceeding 1 against united is a good result on all terms, it''s just a shame our forwards seem to have the same fire power as a defused bomb. Plenty of promise but something isn''t quite clicking.

Agreed. I think that is probably our best back four as well. Lets hope that we stick with it now to let their relationships and understanding grow and hopefully the more solid performances will keep coming.

I think the full backs are a bit of a lottery to be honest.    On both flanks,  one looks better going forward but in reality rarely provides any more quality cross/assist than the alternative so while looking good there is little benefit,   and the other is looks far more defensively secure but in reality we have not seen anymore defensive lapses than their commpetition.   Your rolls your dice and takes your choice.  I am fairly happy with all 4 for the rest of the season.    My personal preference is full backs are there to defend (the likes of Bowen & Baines are rare) so would go with Martin & Garrido who can both make an attacking contribution too.

Much harder at centre back.    Turner is incredibly consistently good,  rarely poor or outstanding,  Bassong has been the best at the club but not yet hit those heights this season,   Bennett, is inconsistent, he can look outstanding one moment a calamity the next.   Martin is not an option here for me. 

With no outstanding performer this season it comes down to current form,   Seb and Ryan for me and see how it goes,  any slip,  Turner straight back in... 

They did play well, but we were, in my view, missing the best defender we currently have at the club in Turner who played second fiddle to Bassong last season but has been excellent this season. Its a squad game and at this level we should now be expecting to see players that come in are as good as Bennett, problem is after that other than Martin we dont have much depth.

[quote user="AJ"]I agree Bennett deserves game time. He was unlucky with the clearance yesterday - but I''m sure if the situation arises again he''ll play to touch rather than try and smack it forward (safety first!). [/quote]

You make your own luck and I hope Bennett does learn from his mistakes.  The clearance attempt was agricultural at best and was asking to be charged down. A little unlucky, maybe, as was the way Suarez scored when Bennett backed away from him, but these things are relevant when they cost us goals  and matches.    He does seem to be improving though. 

If you want to pick our best defence you have to pick Turner and Bassong. Shouldn''t be any doubt about it.

Our best defence has Turner in it imo, so I would go with the 4 against Utd with him instead of Bennett.

Saturday''s defence would be my best back four.

Turner is good at what he does, but certainly has his limitations. They all make mistakes, but on the whole I feel that Bennett offers far more quality on the ball.

Without a decent ball playing ''holding midfielder'' to collect the ball from the defenders the distribution can sometimes get a bit agricultural, and as such we look far better with Bennett in the side.

In my opinion.

I agree Hollywood, for me Bennett is more composed and better at ball distribution than Turner, yes he made the mistake on Saturday, all CH''s make mistakes and some are more costly than others. Bennett is a better footballer and IMO will continue to get better the more he plays, we need to see these young players being given the oppertunity to develop, so long as they are good enough to deserve the shirt, which he definately is.

Im still yet to be convinced by Bennett. Think Turner is a far better defender. Turner is rather one-dimensional but realises this most of the time. Far too many times Bennett seems to just think ''have it''. Think it was more than just bad luck with the clearence, think it was his decision making. His passing is generally poor, quite a few times he seems to not know what to do with the ball when he has it and pumps it long inappropriately. He has some strength, but Im yet to see anything from him that suggests he is anything more than a championship defender. I know he''s popular, but for me Turner, Bassong and Martin are far better. He''s only young and yes he can develop, but Im not convinced he will. Quite a limited player IMO but hope he proves me wong