Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Man Utd

My son bought me a very thought provoking book for Christmas, called "The Numbers Game" (why everything you know about football is wrong). Apparently  a result in a football match is determined more by luck than in any other comparable field sport. I found it difficult to believe but the statistics are compelling and after today''s game I think I have been converted to this idea.CH decided to change things for the visit of United and it was the return of Wes in a 451 formation. Russell Martin returned at right back and Bennett came in for the suspended Turner. For the first fifteen minutes I was beginning to wonder when we would get out of our own half as United pinged the ball about but without looking like getting into a shooting position. Meanwhile City could barely put more than two passes together before losing possession. Then on the quarter hour mark it all changed and suddenly in a sweet move of a dozen passes Snoddy slipped Martin through on the right of the box only for the keeper to parry his effort across goal. Wes was arriving at a speed of knots but just couldn''t get close enough to turn it into the net. From the corner Fer  got up for the ball but it was scrambled away for another corner and eventually a drive from Snoddy was high and wide.It was amazing how the game had changed as it was all City now with the United attack rarely sighted at our end of the field. Somehow De Gea parried Hoopers eight yard effort as the City striker swiveled brilliantly in the box. Bassong was making a nuisance of himself as City upped the corner count butdespite the United defence being at full stretch nothing seemed to fall City''s way in the vital area''s.City were playing some nice stuff now and even Johno was joining in with some searching passes that kept us on the front foot. A goal looked to be imminent at any time and when Redmond''s pace took him clear down the left the ball fell nicely for Wes who weaved his through the United defence only to see his shot deflected. From where I sat I was praying for a pass to the unmarked Hooper but you couldn''t blame the little man for taking it on. In truth he was at his mercurial best and was like a little clockwork mouse all afternoon. There was a big cheer on 37 minutes as Evan''s blazed a long shot high and wide, I think it was only United''s second shot of the entire half.At the break I thought we could count ourselves unlucky not to be in front as we had played some of the best football that I had seen all season. The only worry was that we hadn''t nailed it when we were in the ascendancy and that failure often has a way of coming back to bite.Unsurprisingly the ineffective Giggs was replaced by Wellbeck for the second period and United certainly looked better for it. Redmond hit one a couple of yards wide while Ashley Young shot narrowly over as play resumed. It looked like it would finally open up for City when in a flowing move Wes slipped Redmond in on the left but the wingers powerful shot was only just wide of the far post.The game looked like it would be won or lost by one mistake or one piece of bad fortune and on 57 minutes it was. Bennett''s clearance bounced off a United player and fell perfectly for Wellbeck and the England striker made no mistake with a low shot past John Ruddy. It was sickening and totally undeserved but such is football, you don''t always get what you deserve. From here on in United kept a tight rein on the game and City were never able to fashion anything on a par with the first half chances. RVW came on for Hooper in a like for like change. Some in the crowd didn''t like it but sacrficing the midfield and going long would have played into United''s hands and IMO it was the right change. Then Murphy came on for the tiring Snoddy but United were happy to hold what they had and although never looking like scoring again they just squeezed the life out of the game by taking the ball into the corner at every opportunity.So a disappointing end to game that had promised so much at halftime. We played some good stuff and despite what the moaners think I just do not see a relegation side in front of me on this evidence. MOM has to be Wes just ahead of Leroy Fer but they all had decent games today, the only thing missing was a rub of the green.One other thing I will say is that those who booed at the end deserve to have their ar$es kicked.

[quote user="ricardo"]My son bought me a very thought provoking book for Christmas, called "The Numbers Game" (why everything you know about football is wrong). Apparently  a result in a football match is determined more by luck than in any other comparable field sport. I found it difficult to believe but the statistics are compelling and after today''s game I think I have been converted to this idea.

CH decided to change things for the visit of United and it was the return of Wes in a 451 formation. Russell Martin returned at right back and Bennett came in for the suspended Turner. For the first fifteen minutes I was beginning to wonder when we would get out of our own half as United pinged the ball about but without looking like getting into a shooting position. Meanwhile City could barely put more than two passes together before losing possession. Then on the quarter hour mark it all changed and suddenly in a sweet move of a dozen passes Snoddy slipped Martin through on the right of the box only for the keeper to parry his effort across goal. Wes was arriving at a speed of knots but just couldn''t get close enough to turn it into the net. From the corner Fer  got up for the ball but it was scrambled away for another corner and eventually a drive from Snoddy was high and wide.

It was amazing how the game had changed as it was all City now with the United attack rarely sighted at our end of the field. Somehow De Gea parried Hoopers eight yard effort as the City striker swiveled brilliantly in the box. Bassong was making a nuisance of himself as City upped the corner count butdespite the United defence being at full stretch nothing seemed to fall City''s way in the vital area''s.

City were playing some nice stuff now and even Johno was joining in with some searching passes that kept us on the front foot. A goal looked to be imminent at any time and when Redmond''s pace took him clear down the left the ball fell nicely for Wes who weaved his through the United defence only to see his shot deflected. From where I sat I was praying for a pass to the unmarked Hooper but you couldn''t blame the little man for taking it on. In truth he was at his mercurial best and was like a little clockwork mouse all afternoon. There was a big cheer on 37 minutes as Evan''s blazed a long shot high and wide, I think it was only United''s second shot of the entire half.

At the break I thought we could count ourselves unlucky not to be in front as we had played some of the best football that I had seen all season. The only worry was that we hadn''t nailed it when we were in the ascendancy and that failure often has a way of coming back to bite.

Unsurprisingly the ineffective Giggs was replaced by Wellbeck for the second period and United certainly looked better for it. Redmond hit one a couple of yards wide while Ashley Young shot narrowly over as play resumed. It looked like it would finally open up for City when in a flowing move Wes slipped Redmond in on the left but the wingers powerful shot was only just wide of the far post.

The game looked like it would be won or lost by one mistake or one piece of bad fortune and on 57 minutes it was. Bennett''s clearance bounced off a United player and fell perfectly for Wellbeck and the England striker made no mistake with a low shot past John Ruddy. It was sickening and totally undeserved but such is football, you don''t always get what you deserve. From here on in United kept a tight rein on the game and City were never able to fashion anything on a par with the first half chances. RVW came on for Hooper in a like for like change. Some in the crowd didn''t like it but sacrficing the midfield and going long would have played into United''s hands and IMO it was the right change. Then Murphy came on for the tiring Snoddy but United were happy to hold what they had and although never looking like scoring again they just squeezed the life out of the game by taking the ball into the corner at every opportunity.

So a disappointing end to game that had promised so much at halftime. We played some good stuff and despite what the moaners think I just do not see a relegation side in front of me on this evidence. MOM has to be Wes just ahead of Leroy Fer but they all had decent games today, the only thing missing was a rub of the green.

One other thing I will say is that those who booed at the end deserve to have their ar$es kicked.
[/quote]

Why, because they didn''t fit in with your cosy report?

We were rank in the 2nd half.

Good report again Ricardo. Could not make the game today and with some of the other comments on here I was getting depressed.

You reawakened my hope and cheered my evening up no end. I will enjoy the party I am off to a lot more now.

OTBC

So even though we were losing 1-0, you think it was right not to go 2 up front as it would have played into their hands? Not doing anything to try and get back into the game is what played into their hands

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="ricardo"]My son bought me a very thought provoking book for Christmas, called "The Numbers Game" (why everything you know about football is wrong). Apparently  a result in a football match is determined more by luck than in any other comparable field sport. I found it difficult to believe but the statistics are compelling and after today''s game I think I have been converted to this idea.CH decided to change things for the visit of United and it was the return of Wes in a 451 formation. Russell Martin returned at right back and Bennett came in for the suspended Turner. For the first fifteen minutes I was beginning to wonder when we would get out of our own half as United pinged the ball about but without looking like getting into a shooting position. Meanwhile City could barely put more than two passes together before losing possession. Then on the quarter hour mark it all changed and suddenly in a sweet move of a dozen passes Snoddy slipped Martin through on the right of the box only for the keeper to parry his effort across goal. Wes was arriving at a speed of knots but just couldn''t get close enough to turn it into the net. From the corner Fer  got up for the ball but it was scrambled away for another corner and eventually a drive from Snoddy was high and wide.It was amazing how the game had changed as it was all City now with the United attack rarely sighted at our end of the field. Somehow De Gea parried Hoopers eight yard effort as the City striker swiveled brilliantly in the box. Bassong was making a nuisance of himself as City upped the corner count butdespite the United defence being at full stretch nothing seemed to fall City''s way in the vital area''s.City were playing some nice stuff now and even Johno was joining in with some searching passes that kept us on the front foot. A goal looked to be imminent at any time and when Redmond''s pace took him clear down the left the ball fell nicely for Wes who weaved his through the United defence only to see his shot deflected. From where I sat I was praying for a pass to the unmarked Hooper but you couldn''t blame the little man for taking it on. In truth he was at his mercurial best and was like a little clockwork mouse all afternoon. There was a big cheer on 37 minutes as Evan''s blazed a long shot high and wide, I think it was only United''s second shot of the entire half.At the break I thought we could count ourselves unlucky not to be in front as we had played some of the best football that I had seen all season. The only worry was that we hadn''t nailed it when we were in the ascendancy and that failure often has a way of coming back to bite.Unsurprisingly the ineffective Giggs was replaced by Wellbeck for the second period and United certainly looked better for it. Redmond hit one a couple of yards wide while Ashley Young shot narrowly over as play resumed. It looked like it would finally open up for City when in a flowing move Wes slipped Redmond in on the left but the wingers powerful shot was only just wide of the far post.The game looked like it would be won or lost by one mistake or one piece of bad fortune and on 57 minutes it was. Bennett''s clearance bounced off a United player and fell perfectly for Wellbeck and the England striker made no mistake with a low shot past John Ruddy. It was sickening and totally undeserved but such is football, you don''t always get what you deserve. From here on in United kept a tight rein on the game and City were never able to fashion anything on a par with the first half chances. RVW came on for Hooper in a like for like change. Some in the crowd didn''t like it but sacrficing the midfield and going long would have played into United''s hands and IMO it was the right change. Then Murphy came on for the tiring Snoddy but United were happy to hold what they had and although never looking like scoring again they just squeezed the life out of the game by taking the ball into the corner at every opportunity.So a disappointing end to game that had promised so much at halftime. We played some good stuff and despite what the moaners think I just do not see a relegation side in front of me on this evidence. MOM has to be Wes just ahead of Leroy Fer but they all had decent games today, the only thing missing was a rub of the green.One other thing I will say is that those who booed at the end deserve to have their ar$es kicked.[/quote]

[/quote]I''ve got an old pair of socks that know more about football than you do.

We played much better than on Boxing Day, but it doesn''t make me feel any better. We should''ve taken our chances in the first half, but, as usual, we didn''t. Ruddy didnt have much to do in the first half at all. I couldn''t see the goal properly, but it looked like Ruddy was out of his area.

We looked better going forward, but we really never look like scoring. I guess Hughton has bought himself a bit more time by not getting thumped. If we don''t get anything at Palace on Wednesday, it''ll be 0 points from 3 games.

B*llocks, as I''m typing this, Cardiff just gone 2-0 up, so believe they go above us.

Pretty much how I saw it Ricardo, we deserved something from that game.On another note, Man Utd''s ref badgering and time wasting was frankly ridiculous too, first time I have seen them play at Carrow road and I have added them to my "hate" list.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]So even though we were losing 1-0, you think it was right not to go 2 up front as it would have played into their hands? Not doing anything to try and get back into the game is what played into their hands[/quote]Yes I do. 451 was the right formation against United, the first half proved that. Thinking  that 2 up top would have been better is just wishful thinking.

----------ricardo--------

Thinking  that 2 up top would have been better is just wishful thinking.

---------------------------

Absolutely, we played very well in the first half, if only we had put away one of those chances. Typical of a side like us who score so few goals.

Sadly Moyes substitution, and Welbeck''s flukey goal in the second and it was game over. The goal put a spring in United''s step and they killed the game.

But in the second half we created next to nothing. If 451 was right, why did we create nothing. We may or may not have created much more, but it was obvious that 451 was not working in the second half

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]But in the second half we created next to nothing. If 451 was right, why did we create nothing. We may or may not have created much more, but it was obvious that 451 was not working in the second half[/quote]That was because Utd had their goal to sit on, and they have the confidence and ability then to shut us out, they don''t need to chase the game, they have the lead, they dictate the pace.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="ricardo"]My son bought me a very thought provoking book for Christmas, called "The Numbers Game" (why everything you know about football is wrong). Apparently  a result in a football match is determined more by luck than in any other comparable field sport. I found it difficult to believe but the statistics are compelling and after today''s game I think I have been converted to this idea.

CH decided to change things for the visit of United and it was the return of Wes in a 451 formation. Russell Martin returned at right back and Bennett came in for the suspended Turner. For the first fifteen minutes I was beginning to wonder when we would get out of our own half as United pinged the ball about but without looking like getting into a shooting position. Meanwhile City could barely put more than two passes together before losing possession. Then on the quarter hour mark it all changed and suddenly in a sweet move of a dozen passes Snoddy slipped Martin through on the right of the box only for the keeper to parry his effort across goal. Wes was arriving at a speed of knots but just couldn''t get close enough to turn it into the net. From the corner Fer  got up for the ball but it was scrambled away for another corner and eventually a drive from Snoddy was high and wide.

It was amazing how the game had changed as it was all City now with the United attack rarely sighted at our end of the field. Somehow De Gea parried Hoopers eight yard effort as the City striker swiveled brilliantly in the box. Bassong was making a nuisance of himself as City upped the corner count butdespite the United defence being at full stretch nothing seemed to fall City''s way in the vital area''s.

City were playing some nice stuff now and even Johno was joining in with some searching passes that kept us on the front foot. A goal looked to be imminent at any time and when Redmond''s pace took him clear down the left the ball fell nicely for Wes who weaved his through the United defence only to see his shot deflected. From where I sat I was praying for a pass to the unmarked Hooper but you couldn''t blame the little man for taking it on. In truth he was at his mercurial best and was like a little clockwork mouse all afternoon. There was a big cheer on 37 minutes as Evan''s blazed a long shot high and wide, I think it was only United''s second shot of the entire half.

At the break I thought we could count ourselves unlucky not to be in front as we had played some of the best football that I had seen all season. The only worry was that we hadn''t nailed it when we were in the ascendancy and that failure often has a way of coming back to bite.

Unsurprisingly the ineffective Giggs was replaced by Wellbeck for the second period and United certainly looked better for it. Redmond hit one a couple of yards wide while Ashley Young shot narrowly over as play resumed. It looked like it would finally open up for City when in a flowing move Wes slipped Redmond in on the left but the wingers powerful shot was only just wide of the far post.

The game looked like it would be won or lost by one mistake or one piece of bad fortune and on 57 minutes it was. Bennett''s clearance bounced off a United player and fell perfectly for Wellbeck and the England striker made no mistake with a low shot past John Ruddy. It was sickening and totally undeserved but such is football, you don''t always get what you deserve. From here on in United kept a tight rein on the game and City were never able to fashion anything on a par with the first half chances. RVW came on for Hooper in a like for like change. Some in the crowd didn''t like it but sacrficing the midfield and going long would have played into United''s hands and IMO it was the right change. Then Murphy came on for the tiring Snoddy but United were happy to hold what they had and although never looking like scoring again they just squeezed the life out of the game by taking the ball into the corner at every opportunity.

So a disappointing end to game that had promised so much at halftime. We played some good stuff and despite what the moaners think I just do not see a relegation side in front of me on this evidence. MOM has to be Wes just ahead of Leroy Fer but they all had decent games today, the only thing missing was a rub of the green.

One other thing I will say is that those who booed at the end deserve to have their ar$es kicked.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I''ve got an old pair of socks that know more about football than you do.
[/quote]

After reading the totally biased, happy clappy cr*p you write I somehow doubt that.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''ve got an old pair of socks that know more about football than you do.
[/quote]

After reading the totally biased, happy clappy cr*p you write I somehow doubt that.

Thanks for a good summary Ricardo.

I agree with all that except, like the poster above, your point re: the like for like substitution.

I call that clinging on to a deficit and would aspire to a more pro-active managerial approach.

Why have three strikers on the bench when you only use one at a time, even when chasing the game?

We were excellent today, but sadly the bottom line is we got nothing to show for it. Man Utd were fortunate with the goal, but we got a fortunate goal against Fulham and didn''t capitalise.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]But in the second half we created next to nothing. If 451 was right, why did we create nothing. We may or may not have created much more, but it was obvious that 451 was not working in the second half[/quote]So you think a team of United''s calibre don''t know how to squeeze the life out of a game? Once they got the fortunate goal it was always going to be hard to get back in. They wasted time played it in the corners, complained to the ref and every other trick you can think of to break up our rhythm.Yet somehow you think going long might have opened them up.Everyone''s entitled to an opinion.

''Why have three strikers on the bench when you only use one at a time, even when chasing the game?''

Or rather, four strikers in the match squad.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Thanks for a good summary Ricardo.

I agree with all that except, like the poster above, your point re: the like for like substitution.

I call that clinging on to a deficit and would aspire to a more pro-active managerial approach.

Why have three strikers on the bench when you only use one at a time, even when chasing the game?[/quote]Of course its easy to just cry "Why didn''t he throw more strikers on" isn''t it?Lets face it, at one nil down had we scored and got a point, it would have been a great result. But when you play against a quality side you have to use your head, can you imagine how over-run our midfield would have been had we taken someone out of it?

-------morty-------

That was because Utd had their goal to sit on, and they have the confidence and ability then to shut us out, they don''t need to chase the game, they have the lead, they dictate the pace.

---------------------

Which I agree with to some extent, but it wasn''t working in the 2nd half. We switched formation to bring in a 2nd striker in the 89th minute. But it was always going to be difficult to get back in it once they started killing the game.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]''Why have three strikers on the bench when you only use one at a time, even when chasing the game?''

Or rather, four strikers in the match squad.[/quote]So why not play 2 or 3 from the start?It''s a silly argument, if you lose the middle against the big teams you lose the game.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]''Why have three strikers on the bench when you only use one at a time, even when chasing the game?'' Or rather, four strikers in the match squad.[/quote]

Huzzah Broadstairs.[Y]

---------morty---------

But when you play against a quality side you have to use your head, can you imagine how over-run our midfield would have been had we taken someone out of it?

---------------------------

Doesn''t always work that way. And if you are going to leave it to the last 5 minutes, why not take off a defender rather than Wes who played a good game.

It is understandable to think - we need a goal lets throw on a striker. However, there is no point in having 2,3 or 4 strikers on the pitch if you are unable to supply them or give them the ball. I fear that would have happened if we had taken a midfielder out of the side today.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]-------morty-------

That was because Utd had their goal to sit on, and they have the confidence and ability then to shut us out, they don''t need to chase the game, they have the lead, they dictate the pace.

---------------------

Which I agree with to some extent, but it wasn''t working in the 2nd half. We switched formation to bring in a 2nd striker in the 89th minute. But it was always going to be difficult to get back in it once they started killing the game.[/quote]So what would you have done then?"Gone for it" and maybe lost 3 or 4 nil?Hughton can''t win with some people, whatever he does.

Wiz, I try not to mock the afflicted but you just can''t help yourself can you.You look more stupid with every comment you make. Go and suck your wand you might feel better in the morning.

"After reading the totally biased, happy clappy cr*p you write I somehow doubt that." wiz

Whatever you might think of Ricardo, no one but an idiot like you wiz would imagine that Ricardo is a newbie who has simply turned up in the last few years for the ''experience''as to his old socks then they do have one advantage over you wiz, there is every possibility that they have attended games at Carrow Road over the past 50 years - and who knows, they may even have witnessed CR with three stands with no roofs, the view of the cathedral from the main stand and the infamous Wensum Standand if they are as old as that, they still will not have as many holes in them as your claims about supporting City have

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]''Why have three strikers on the bench when you only use one at a time, even when chasing the game?'' Or rather, four strikers in the match squad.[/quote]

Huzzah Broadstairs.[Y]

[/quote]Noone else was available, unless you wanted to start raiding the youth squad.

morty wrote

Pretty much how I saw it Ricardo, we deserved something from that game.On another note, Man Utd''s ref badgering and time wasting was frankly ridiculous too, first time I have seen them play at Carrow road and I have added them to my "hate" list.

When two of their supporters fell through the roof whilst attempting to trash the Barclay, they joined my hate list. An unsightly incident behind Anglia House confirmed my disdain for the glory hunting scum. However on a positive note that lot did''nt make it to the match.

Also if Hooper needed to come off there is little Becchio or Elmander could have done to make a goal threat against United. If Hooper was fit then it''d have been better to keep them both on I agree, as we were already 1-0 down cruising to zero points. 4-3-1-2 would have been interesting.