Sign in to follow this  
Buh

The Hooper - RVW sub being booed

Definitive proof that there are a large section of Norwich fans that haven''t got a clue about football and are now just going to abuse Chris Hughton regardless of his decisions. I found it hilarious.

I heard the Boos on the stream.

where they booing Hooper going off? ricky coming on? did they think they were watching the panto?

RVW shouldn''t have come on. we needed to sub Wes for elmander earlier, not because Wes played badly (far from it) but elmander would have offered the physical aspect we lacked.

Hooper scores when the Elm plays...

Hughton could have taken Ruddy off and put RVW on and the people that booed would have said it was a negative sub.

The simple fact is, the fans out there that say Hughton is ruining the club and they "can''t take it any more" keep turning up. If you hate it that bad don''t come to the games. Vote with your feet. PLEASE.

Jas - If Hughton had taken off Hoolahan against Man U and brought Elmander on instead I think the storm of booing that would have ensued would have made a louder noise than the eruption of Krakatoa.

I presume the boos were because they wanted Hooper and RVW to be on the pitch at the same time.  Hooper was taken off as a precaution due to potential injury.   So the booing was ignorant and pointless - as always.    

Because we needed a change in approach more than anything - Hooper was carrying a potential injury but Ricky was too like for like.

either Elmander for Hooper to give us some physicality with Wes just off as suggested or Hoolahan for Elmander at the same time. It wouldn''t have been popular at all & extremely harsh on Wes who had been brilliant but it was clear we were going to struggle to get back into the game

Hooper needed taking off for two reasons, not only was he carrying a minor injury but he was having one of his more ineffective games.    It was right for the manager to change it.   

I am struggling to think of any reason why his removal should be booed;   the only scenario that would be wrong was swapping him for Garrido.   Whether it should have been another change is nothing more than debatable - impossible to say it was the wrong one though.

Fans expectations and willingness to blame the manager even when making the right choices is unbelievable at the mo. 

It seemed at the time, presumably, that Hughton was taking off our highest and in-form scorer, and replacing him with another player who is arguably not match fit.

But as the manager later explained, Hooper had mentioned at half time that he had a tightness in his leg (Ham strings?), and so they decided not to expose him to further risk.

It is symptomatic of a manager who in his strange decisions has alienated many of the supporters. Perhaps a good signing or two in the widow will restore some faith in him.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I presume the boos were because they wanted Hooper and RVW to be on the pitch at the same time.  Hooper was taken off as a precaution due to potential injury.   So the booing was ignorant and pointless - as always.    

[/quote]Maybe the explanation wasn''t clear enough. After all, every player has the potential of getting injured the moment they step onto the pitch. Or to take it to extremes, wherever they are they might get an injury. Best get someone round to use his tin opener, open the door or make a cup of tea. Hang on, he might scald himself with tea so best he has a glass of water. Oh no! He might drop the glass of water on his toe and bruise it. Use a plastic tumbler. That''s safer...

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Fans expectations and willingness to blame the manager even when making the right choices is unbelievable at the mo. 

[/quote]Amen.

I am afraid Hughton has lost the confidence of many supporters - both at the games and on this site. He just seems unable to adopt a flexible approach when some action needs to be done. i.e. Plan B. Clearly on Saturday the crowd thought he was taking off our best striker on current form, obviously not aware he was carrying a slight knock. The supporters have seen on many occasions his poor use of subs and they took it that this was another mistake.

It is fair to say that there is a build up of "Hughton cannot get much right" and the only way to combat this is to score some goals and win matches. We should have beaten one of the poorest Man Utd teams they have ever put out, the usual problem being that there was no real support in the box for the lone striker. It does not help that so far as high crosses are concerned, Hooper is not that tall and Elmander is not a great header of the ball. Perhaps of even more concern is that when RVW came on he played far too deep.

At the time of the booing (ie; before there was any talk of Hooper carrying an injury), we were losing 1-0 and took off our in-form top scorer for another striker who has only played 20 minutes after an injury.

Now I''m not one for booing anyway, but based on what we knew at the time of the substitution, it did seem like a strange swap and can understand where people were coming from.

I think its simply because it was a like for like swap and people wanted a more adventurous substitution, for Hughton to twist rather than stick. Seeing as we were chasing the game I can understand the clamour for a sub that might improve our goalscoring chances rather than maintaining the status quo. People want to see him gamble earlier than the 88th minute

Obviously nobody else noticed that Hooper reappeared after a couple of minutes , and practically skipped then jumped up into the back seats of the dug out ?

Didn''t look like a man with a tight hamstring ,, although he was paying a lot of attention to one of his feet during the game ,,, or maybe he was holding his foot to test his hamstring ?

I''ll get my coat

But at the time Hughton made the substitution, how many fans knew (unless they were in the dressing room at half time) that Hoops was complaining of a tight muscle.Fans are emotional, and at the time frustrated at seeing our best striker taken off. On this occasion (yes there have been plenty of times when Hughton''s substitutions have baffled us all) Hughton was being somewhat sensible and taking precautions, most likely with one eye on the palace game.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]Amen.[/quote]

Amen again.

There were people in front of me in M block Jarrold, screaming abuse, waving fists and even an old fashioned V sign (which seemed almost quaint given the regrettable and pointless ubiquity of the American Middle finger).

Since even an idiot should have seen that going 442 and surrendering the midfield and possible slaughter, I can only wonder at the mentality and the intelligence at work.

There is certainly a sense amongst some of those that I sit amongst that Hughton can do nothing right and if he''d brought on Messi for Hooper it would still have been called negative. I alternate between despair for Hughton and amusement at the shriekings and posturings of the Mr Angries.

[quote user="Aggy"]At the time of the booing (ie; before there was any talk of Hooper carrying an injury), we were losing 1-0 and took off our in-form top scorer for another striker who has only played 20 minutes after an injury.

Now I''m not one for booing anyway, but based on what we knew at the time of the substitution, it did seem like a strange swap and can understand where people were coming from.[/quote]They booed, which is crap behaviour towards your own team anyway let alone without knowing what was going on. shouldn''t make excuses for retards.

There are quite a few in the crowd just waiting far an excuse to moan and more particulary boo. If our form picks up they will be silenced or in such small numbers they will not be heard. The crowd on Saturday were pretty good by recent standards! they really got going in the first half. People seem to moan a lot about the atmosphere, in my view when we are playing good footy and having a go the crowd is still pretty good, it''s just that there are less occasions when it happens.

All very convenient this Hooper "tightness" and if he did complain about it at half time why then play him for another half an hour if your main concern is to protect him?

[quote user="Jim Smith"]All very convenient this Hooper "tightness" and if he did complain about it at half time why then play him for another half an hour if your main concern is to protect him?[/quote]Convenient?Do you really think that Hughton cares about justifying his substitutions to agenda laden fans?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"]All very convenient this Hooper "tightness" and if he did complain about it at half time why then play him for another half an hour if your main concern is to protect him?[/quote]Convenient?Do you really think that Hughton cares about justifying his substitutions to agenda laden fans?[/quote]

Yes I do. In the same way that practically the first thing he said post Fulham was that it can''t be said he did not try to win the game, knowing that fans criticise him for being too defensive and not trying to win games. In the same way he also switched to 4-4-2 having previously made it very clear that he does not rate that formation at this level.

He is in self preservation mode.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"]All very convenient this Hooper "tightness" and if he did complain about it at half time why then play him for another half an hour if your main concern is to protect him?[/quote]Convenient?Do you really think that Hughton cares about justifying his substitutions to agenda laden fans?[/quote]

Yes I do. In the same way that practically the first thing he said post Fulham was that it can''t be said he did not try to win the game, knowing that fans criticise him for being too defensive and not trying to win games. In the same way he also switched to 4-4-2 having previously made it very clear that he does not rate that formation at this level.

He is in self preservation mode.[/quote]The main issue here is that most fans don''t know squit.I doubt very much that a Premiership actually listens to fans "knowledge" when deciding what team to pick, or what formation to play.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"]All very convenient this Hooper "tightness" and if he did complain about it at half time why then play him for another half an hour if your main concern is to protect him?[/quote]Convenient?Do you really think that Hughton cares about justifying his substitutions to agenda laden fans?[/quote]

He is in self preservation mode.[/quote]The main issue here is that most fans don''t know squit.I doubt very much that a Premiership actually listens to fans "knowledge" when deciding what team to pick, or what formation to play.[/quote]*Premiership manager

I think fans have got into the mind-set of thinking Hughton can''t make a good sub. It wasn''t a good sub but there was certainly nothing wrong with it that required booing. Just fans being thick unfortunately.

[quote user="Alfie54"]What about the cheers when Snodgrass went off?[/quote]

Those of our fans who have a bizarre downer on Snoddy really are idiots. Great player who always gives his all.

It''s incredible that Snoody has become a target for the boo boys. His performances don''t warrant it. never lets us down. Gives his all and has made enormous contribution over the last season and a half. He has spoken out i9n support of the manager though...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

It''s incredible that Snoody has become a target for the boo boys. His performances don''t warrant it. never lets us down. Gives his all and has made enormous contribution over the last season and a half. He has spoken out i9n support of the manager though...

[/quote]

It happens all the time though with some of our fans.  I remember when Hoolahan used to get all sorts of abuse from the touchline years ago.   It goes with the territory of being a so called playmaker.   At his best (Saturday)  Hoolahan is a great asset, but at his worst he is the most frustrating figure.  Snoddy is the same.  At his best he is terrific, unfortunately when not at his best he too is as frustrating to watch as it gets - and it is right he gets some criticism sometimes.   Its unfortunate that the boo boys pick up on a little bit of criticism and turn it into something they can vent their spleen at and turn it into something negative.