Sign in to follow this  
Monty13

Team for Palace?

Would you change things for the Palace game?

For me I''d bring back Turner (just a personal preference over Bennett, although I thought Bennett was very good) and if Howson was fit I''d look to bring him back and probably replace Fer. He was better yesterday than against Fulham, when he was awful, but he just looks like he needs a rest or one of his late challenges is going to see him sent off soon.

If Hooper is injured it''s a straight swap for RVW for me.

So assuming all those mentioned are fit, think I would go:

Ruddy

Martin Turner Bassong Olsson

Snodgrass Howson Johnson Redmond

Hoolahan

Hooper

What do others want to see?

[quote user="Monty13"]Would you change things for the Palace game?

For me I''d bring back Turner (just a personal preference over Bennett, although I thought Bennett was very good) and if Howson was fit I''d look to bring him back and probably replace Fer. He was better yesterday than against Fulham, when he was awful, but he just looks like he needs a rest or one of his late challenges is going to see him sent off soon.

If Hooper is injured it''s a straight swap for RVW for me.

So assuming all those mentioned are fit, think I would go:

Ruddy

Martin Turner Bassong Olsson

Snodgrass Howson Johnson Redmond

Hoolahan

Hooper

What do others want to see?[/quote]Same team but I''d leave Bennet in, I thought he had a pretty good game, and doesn''t deserve to be dropped.

"Same team but I''d leave Bennet in, I thought he had a pretty good game, and doesn''t deserve to be dropped."

Yea I know what you mean, it''s harsh, but Turner is imo the better of the 2, he was only suspended for one game and so I''d bring him back.

Luckily I''m not paid to make tough choices like that, CH can disappoint one of them!

[quote user="Monty13"]"Same team but I''d leave Bennet in, I thought he had a pretty good game, and doesn''t deserve to be dropped."

Yea I know what you mean, it''s harsh, but Turner is imo the better of the 2, he was only suspended for one game and so I''d bring him back.

Luckily I''m not paid to make tough choices like that, CH can disappoint one of them![/quote]Going with Bennet shows that a good performance wins a place in the team. Going with Turner just says to Bennet "Yeah, play as well as you like, you''re always going to be third choice"Thats how I hope the thought process goes anyway lol.

I should imagine an away game at sellhurst park against a tony pulis side we wont see hoolahan starting. Knowing Hughton Elmander will be back in. Bennett deserves to keep.his place, played well yesterday.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Monty13"]"Same team but I''d leave Bennet in, I thought he had a pretty good game, and doesn''t deserve to be dropped."

Luckily I''m not paid to make tough choices like that, CH can disappoint one of them![/quote]Going with Bennet shows that a good performance wins a place in the team. Going with Turner just says to Bennet "Yeah, play as well as you like, you''re always going to be third choice"Thats how I hope the thought process goes anyway lol.[/quote]

Agree Morty, it''s not just Bennett it sends a message to, it''s everyone outside the first 11. IMO it''s imprtant that players outside the 11 or even first 16 at least believe they have a chance of getting in and staying there based on performance.

On the flip side, Turner will probably be walking in the managers office pointing out he only missed the game through picking up 5 yellows, he has been consistently good this season and arguably his replacement was at fault for the goal and he deserves to be returned to the starting line up.

It''s a tough decision and CH is paid to make them, not me luckily, because I can see it both ways yet I don''t actually have to tell one of them they are not playing!

[quote user="Monty13"]On the flip side, Turner will probably be walking in the managers office pointing out he only missed the game through picking up 5 yellows, he has been consistently good this season and arguably his replacement was at fault for the goal and he deserves to be returned to the starting line up.

It''s a tough decision and CH is paid to make them, not me luckily, because I can see it both ways yet I don''t actually have to tell one of them they are not playing![/quote]Yeah, like you say, tough call.

Yep, Bennett/Turner is a tough call....why not rest Bassong?? he''s been looking a bit ''stretched '' lately..by that i mean his tackling ,movement and even his passing hasnt been quite as assured and comfortable as in the past, maybe a rest up to recharge is needed, after all we do have a squad and not just a team.

Bennett was excellent yesterday and should keep his place, the back four were more solid all round than they have been recently. Stick with it.

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]Yep, Bennett/Turner is a tough call....why not rest Bassong?? he''s been looking a bit ''stretched '' lately..by that i mean his tackling ,movement and even his passing hasnt been quite as assured and comfortable as in the past, maybe a rest up to recharge is needed, after all we do have a squad and not just a team.[/quote]I can''t disagree with that, but centre back pairings really shouldn''t be chopped and changed too much, if you can help it.

True Morty, but given that Palace are not the most potent strike force in the Prem, isnt it an ideal opportunity to play the alternative to Bassong plus one, it may even be to our advantage to give bennett&turner a game together....we may need them to play a ''bigger'' team later in the season. I wouldnt be averse to seeing Bassong come on for BJ if he''s misplacing passes as per usual....that would free Leroy up a bit as Seb is more disciplined position wise and would just sit in front of back 4...therefore less ground for Leroy to cover.

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]True Morty, but given that Palace are not the most potent strike force in the Prem, isnt it an ideal opportunity to play the alternative to Bassong plus one, it may even be to our advantage to give bennett&turner a game together....we may need them to play a ''bigger'' team later in the season. I wouldnt be averse to seeing Bassong come on for BJ if he''s misplacing passes as per usual....that would free Leroy up a bit as Seb is more disciplined position wise and would just sit in front of back 4...therefore less ground for Leroy to cover.[/quote]Yeah, am seeing the theory, and its not too off the wall.Bit harsh on Bradley, he had a pretty good game yesterday, and can you imagine the wailing on here if we played 5 defenders against Palace??!!

He did ok yesterday imo but i felt that too often Leroy was having to cover for him when he''d gone walkabout, and Leroy ended up going to ground making last ditch, and therefore possibly bookable challenges, i think BJ is just not disciplined to hold ( nor is Leroy, but offers more in other ways)....playing a defender, maybe Seb, as a holding mid, may as you say draw derison for playing 5 defenders but would allow the 2 other midfielders more freedom to support the 3 attack minded players, hoops,rvw and wes perhaps. sacrificing our innefective width for more solid defence and potentially a better attack.

Bennett poor clearance cost us the goal and game. Would play Russell Martin alongside Bassong and Whitaker at right back.

Snodgrass was poor would give Josh Murphy his first prem start.

Surely in this game our best CB should return, and that will be no disrespect to Bennett at all.........isnt that what all top clubs do where possible, pley the best players unless they need a rest or are injured, and Turner doesnt appear to need a rest.

I would have no problem if Wes starts, but actually feel the game will not be suited to him, so would go with Elmander.....and again if Howson is fit he should return too, our best midfield player more recently, cant afford to leave out our best players.

If he is fit, then Howson has to start. He has been our most consistently good player this season. I would play him in place of Johnson.

Otherwise an unchanged team, with RvW coming on later perhaps in place of Wes. I wasn''t at the match, but reports suggested that RvW was slow and short of match fitness, and Wes the same to some extent.

[quote user="Monty13"]"Same team but I''d leave Bennet in, I thought he had a pretty good game, and doesn''t deserve to be dropped."

Luckily I''m not paid to make tough choices like that, CH can disappoint one of them![/quote]

Good idea...

Turner only cost us 2 goals against Fulham on boxing day....One when he turned his back in the wall for the free kick, and then when he ducked to avoid heading Parkers strike.

Don''t know why he done it, but does not deserve to take Bennetts place at all.

Keep the same team that played so well against Man Utd.

[quote user="GJP"]Bit similar to when Bennett turned and ran away from Suarez then.[/quote]

For the first goal?

40 yards away from goal?

Isn''t that what CBs are supposed to do? Suarez would love him closing him down, he''ll just nip past him...

First goal and another.

You have to try to make it difficult for your opponent. Simple as that.

Ruddy                  Bassong Turner Bennett         Martin                                     Olsson                   Howson Fer Hoolahan                                                 RVW     Hooper

Bassong & Bennett looked ok on Saturday. But they are both players I''d expect will lose us the game via a simple error

I think had Turner been playing the United goal may not have been scored. He (Turner) would have taken the ball & all (Wellbeck) with his clearance. So for me it would be Turner and one of Bassong or Bennett.

Whitaker''s defence, positioning & link play are poor so Russell Martin needs to stay at right back and not moved to the centre to partner Turner.

The right side combination of Martin & Snodgrass was a lot better on Saturday creating clear cut chances. Where the left we had 2 headless chickens" - fast, athletic players but clueless. Should we try Garrido ahead of Olsson ?

Murphy should not be considered at all - not even as a sub. Not at this point.

ruddy   martin   bennett bassong garridoredmond  fer  howson or johnson olsson                       hooper                             wolf

time to stop fkng about with players in the wrong positions and sacrificing balance for snodgrass

sadly i think palace will win