Sign in to follow this  
Fundamentals

Fundamentals

[quote user="Vanwink"]TIL 1010 wrote the following post at 30/12/2013 10:04 PM:

Good observations by Fundermentals but what I find most annoying under the current set up is that if it is not on Trollopes feckin ipad or tablet thingerby bob nothing changes. The number of times the 3 wise monkeys gather round it during a game but then just carry on regardless is ridiculous.

Using the stats to help them make an informed decision is fine, but, if that''s all they are relying on then we might as well have a 10 year old with quick thumbs running the team match day.

What they will be doing is looking at the stats and that information forms part of their decision making process, poor use of subs has been a feature of CH stewardship but IMO things have improved, still a long way to go though.[/quote]Exactly, its just another tool in the decision making process, I doubt that Hughton is using some sort of manager app to make his decisions for him.

Sorry but fundamentals approach which I''m sure is based on his experience is just out of date and probably says more about the lack of professional trained coaches in the UK. CH is no doubt aware of this. The idea is to create the correct level of focus. So you want to have a disciplined training but once someone is in the zone e.g. match day then modern thinking is that you take a relaxed approach to achieve optimum performance. CH is actually taking the more modern and professional approach based on the latest ideas.

[quote user="T"] CH is actually taking the more modern and professional approach based on the latest ideas.[/quote]

Well if that is the case I am so glad I have more years behind me than in front as far as watching football is concerned.

After hanging my boots up after 20 years in the game I can promise you it''s not dated it''s called being professional in what you do. This thread was about fundamentals which mean all the things that make this club operate professional. I was pointing out the fact than there was no organisation at half time and before the game for the subs. Also just doesn''t look like ch is as authoritative as the previous manager. This is only my opion.

[quote user="Fundamentals "]After hanging my boots up after 20 years in the game I can promise you it''s not dated it''s called being professional in what you do. This thread was about fundamentals which mean all the things that make this club operate professional. I was pointing out the fact than there was no organisation at half time and before the game for the subs. Also just doesn''t look like ch is as authoritative as the previous manager. This is only my opion.[/quote]

It''s interesting to hear from someone who has been on the "other side" as it were.

Just out of interest, what benefit do you feel you got out of say, a restricted area keep-ball drill, at half time?

Tbh not a lot but it''s organised and keep you on your toes also gives you that professional look that what we are doing we are all in it together. It''s just not what you want to see people lashing the ball at a player in goal who''s not a keeper and could possibly get injured. We use to do it to keep warm and to show we were organised set up.

Also just doesn''t look like ch is as authoritative as the previous manager. This is only my opinion.

BANG and Funders comes out with another top observation. Too much of this sort of thing and you will get banned ;-)

[quote user="lake district canary"]The most stats can do is give a black and white picture - very limited.   Such as a player achieving 100% pass rate.  If those passes are all less than five yards, does that prove anything?  An attacking midfielder might make 75% of passes but is trying to play difficult defence splitting passes and create chances.  So who is doing better the 100% player or the 75% player?[/quote]That all depends on the role they are being asked to play.Tettey for example would be closer the the 100% pass rate than someone like Hoolahan would, but as you rightly say that''s likely because he''s playing short passes to closer teammates - which is exactly what he should be doing IMHO, otherwise you end up with someone like Johnson who keeps attempting passes that he''s not good enough to pull off!What the stats can show is how well a player is doing in their specific role against a set parameter of stats that the coaching team would be expecting, so if Hools was expected to make say just 70% of passes because of what he''s trying to do, but the stats show he''s only managing 50%, then there''s a genuine concern that the coaching team may need to address both in-game via subs/instructions, and after that in training etc.It certainly should NOT be the only metric being used in the decision making process, but it should form some part of that, along with the coach''s judgment and on-field vision.