Sign in to follow this  
Fundamentals

Fundamentals

Norwich need to get there house in order if you watch the team warm up the subs are not drilled by anyone also at half time the subs are just lashing the ball to each other or doing crossbar challenge. Under a certain manager there was a fitness coach drilling the subs at halftime and before the game. This wouldn''t happen at Any other prem team. Also who work with our strikers and wingers on a daily basis?

[quote user="Fundamentals "]Norwich need to get there house in order if you watch the team warm up the subs are not drilled by anyone also at half time the subs are just lashing the ball to each other or doing crossbar challenge. Under a certain manager there was a fitness coach drilling the subs at halftime and before the game. This wouldn''t happen at Any other prem team. Also who work with our strikers and wingers on a daily basis?[/quote]Its actually a reasonable point.

5 years and 11 months to make a post and with all that''s happened at the club you choose this?

I''m guessing the drilling etc is all done prior to the match either in training or at the ground pre kick off.

[quote user="Rivvo"]5 years and 11 months to make a post and with all that''s happened at the club you choose this?

I''m guessing the drilling etc is all done prior to the match either in training or at the ground pre kick off.[/quote]Must be the first time that a subject has arisen where he can use his username as the thread title too....That''s patience for you! [:)]

Actually agree with the basis of the OP point here.

Has been a bug bear of mine at some recent home games, where we potentially need to be looking to the bench and yet they are just larking about at half time.

Was one occasion at a recent home game where Hoolahan and one other sub (can''t remember who) were taking it turns at going in goal while they other took penalties at them. Seriously, what is this achieving?!

Perhaps an indictment of the fact that they know under the current regime that they won''t be getting a look in until the 80th min?

After hanging my boots up this year I decided to follow the team who I supported since I was 5 years old. After watching Norwich on a few of occasions this year it was alarming to see a pro set up operating in this manner. After playing for Cambridge city and seeing how a semi pro club work I was shocked and would have thought getting the fundamentals right at any level is a must. But who am I only posting once in five years.

Up yours, Rivvo....

Somebody, far more qualified than you, takes the trouble to make a sensible/valid point, and you don''t give him the time of day.

The OP speaks volumes of the current management setup. The sooner Calderwood and Trollope are replaced by a more progressive and dynamic pairing, the better. And if Hughton won''t dismiss them without falling on his own sword, then he may will need more than a little persuasion.

So you saying semi pros know more than premier league pros? You might want to think about that one

No but trust me semi pro only means you hold a job as well as playing Saturday Tuesday. So you think players going in goal at half time and a fellow pro smashing the ball at you is ok? Just to let you know playing in the southern conference with full time pros you do learn a lot. Just saying

Good observations by Fundermentals but what I find most annoying under the current set up is that if it is not on Trollopes feckin ipad or tablet thingerby bob nothing changes. The number of times the 3 wise monkeys gather round it during a game but then just carry on regardless is ridiculous.

"Was one occasion at a recent home game where Hoolahan and one other sub (can''t remember who) were taking it turns at going in goal while they other took penalties at them. Seriously, what is this achieving?! "

I''ve never noticed that but am downstairs at half time, doesn''t sound too good if this is true!

[quote user="Vanwink"]"Was one occasion at a recent home game where Hoolahan and one other sub (can''t remember who) were taking it turns at going in goal while they other took penalties at them. Seriously, what is this achieving?! "

I''ve never noticed that but am downstairs at half time, doesn''t sound too good if this is true![/quote]

You could say its a way to "stay loose".    Warming up/exercises/training at half time is pointless unless you are going on the field of play immediately at the start of the second half.    Staying loose is probably the best way to be if you are sitting on the bench the rest of the time.  I''m not defending it, I would prefer to see a little more focus on fitness and technical work, but I wouldn''t say it was anything to be concerned about.  

Modern thinking is that you do your prep before and at competition time you focus on being mentally relaxed

lake district canary wrote the following post at 30/12/2013 10:24 PM:

Vanwink wrote:

"Was one occasion at a recent home game where Hoolahan and one other sub (can''t remember who) were taking it turns at going in goal while they other took penalties at them. Seriously, what is this achieving?! "

I''ve never noticed that but am downstairs at half time, doesn''t sound too good if this is true!

You could say its a way to "stay loose". Warming up/exercises/training at half time is pointless unless you are going on the field of play immediately at the start of the second half. Staying loose is probably the best way to be if you are sitting on the bench the rest of the time. I''m not defending it, I would prefer to see a little more focus on fitness and technical work, but I wouldn''t say it was anything to be concerned about.

I was just commenting on smacking balls at each other, not a great idea, particularly if you get injured, unprofessional.

Discipline is a massive part of the game today. Any player who sit on the bench then start lashing the ball at the goal risks an injury. Just not what I''m use to and thought it would be the same through out the football league. If your mind set right it sets you up better for the challenge in front of you and gives you a chance as you will be more focused.

Really good call by the OP. It does sound pretty amateurish. I have the misfortune to watch Bristol Rovers now more than NCFC (it''s a geographical thing), and while they are a particularly amateur and ineffective set up, I''ve never seen this sort of thing.

Someone should highlight this to McNally.

Having said that, watching Hoolahoop in goal was probably the best entertainment there''s been at Carrow Road this season.

You actually get the best performance when you are relaxed rather than being over focused so what they are doing is actually makes a lot of sense

Disagree t. For one this was in place when lambert was here a fitness coach look after the subs at half time. It might of been a bit of keep ball or sprints across the pitch but at least it was organised and kept players on there toes. Being focused and with the right attitude all go a long way in being the best you can be.

Is this not just arguing different schools of thought?All of the match prep should be done and dusted way before kick-off whether a starter or sub.

One school of thought is to keep players who aren''t playing focused at half-time the other is to keep them relaxed.

I find the idea of Hoolahan having balls fired at him in the middle of a competitive match risking injury pretty amateurish, although never saw it myself, but other than that this seems an argument over which school of thought you believe in, with arguably no right answer.

I do remember under Lambert they''d do work in a circle altogether, even if it was just a simple game of keep ups or keep ball.

They don''t really do anything now bar kick a few balls between themselves.

Maybe it''s just different players like to do different things, or maybe it''s just something Lambert''s staff do

[quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="Rivvo"]5 years and 11 months to make a post and with all that''s happened at the club you choose this?

I''m guessing the drilling etc is all done prior to the match either in training or at the ground pre kick off.[/quote]Must be the first time that a subject has arisen where he can use his username as the thread title too....That''s patience for you! [:)][/quote]
LOL that tickled me that.

It is indeed personal preference and different schools of thought. Training should be focused and disciplined to make sure the training is properly motivated but as you get into the competition stage then you should be looking to relax as you should be motivated by the competition situation. I can understand for a semi pro that a more focused routine for a semi pro who does other things during the week that a more focused routine would actually make sense but not for a pro. Its the new sports psychology and I can imagine CH being more new school and lambert old school. Personally when I train then it is very disciplined to keep me focused but if I''m being assessed then I look to relax as I''m already motivated by the situation.

Don''t have a problem with the relaxed approach but trying to highlight the discipline with in the squad. If you want to be on top of your game you really need to be disciplined and have a leader who make sure your ready for the job. This also brings confidence to you from the manager or coach who have you fired up and focused. I don''t think ch and his staff are disciplined enough and have the numbers in there staff to take this club to the next level. Also obviously the relaxed approach isn''t working if your all saying this is what ch is doing at Norwich. To watch the subs smash the ball in the net when they are not warmed up I would say it''s poor preparation at any level.

Most of our subs do not even warm up at all during the first hour of matches. I guess they know they are not coming in until at least 75 minutes.

Tilly I agree entirely about the I-pad. Apparently they are looking at the pro-zone stats which seem to (in part) dictate our subs. Personally I would prefer a manager who makes subs based on instinct and reading of the game with his own eyes. Whilst access to it may be useful, a natural, instinctive manager should not need prozone during the game!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Most of our subs do not even warm up at all during the first hour of matches. I guess they know they are not coming in until at least 75 minutes.

Tilly I agree entirely about the I-pad. Apparently they are looking at the pro-zone stats which seem to (in part) dictate our subs. Personally I would prefer a manager who makes subs based on instinct and reading of the game with his own eyes. Whilst access to it may be useful, a natural, instinctive manager should not need prozone during the game![/quote]

Reliance on computers is a flawed method of doing things, in any field.   The most stats can do is give a black and white picture - very limited.   Such as a player achieving 100% pass rate.  If those passes are all less than five yards, does that prove anything?  An attacking midfielder might make 75% of passes but is trying to play difficult defence splitting passes and create chances.  So who is doing better the 100% player or the 75% player?

Instinct should be the main motivation for a manager.   The information from stats is no more than that. Information.  After the information has bee delivered, instinct should take over. 

TIL 1010 wrote the following post at 30/12/2013 10:04 PM:

Good observations by Fundermentals but what I find most annoying under the current set up is that if it is not on Trollopes feckin ipad or tablet thingerby bob nothing changes. The number of times the 3 wise monkeys gather round it during a game but then just carry on regardless is ridiculous.

Using the stats to help them make an informed decision is fine, but, if that''s all they are relying on then we might as well have a 10 year old with quick thumbs running the team match day.

What they will be doing is looking at the stats and that information forms part of their decision making process, poor use of subs has been a feature of CH stewardship but IMO things have improved, still a long way to go though.