Sign in to follow this  
splutcho

Chris Martin

Before anyone says it, no I''m not saying we should have kept him.

Just nice to see him knocking plenty in in the Championship and proving a point to those that moaned and said he was League 1 at best. Boy done good.

Always thought he would be ideal in Wes''s position as a long term replacement. Maybe we progressed just a little soon for him here. Derby are sitting 2nd and he now has 15 goals. He may be a PL player next season again.

He''s having a fantastic season isn''t he? Good to see him doing well. He was always good technically and Lambert consistently reminded us he was the best finisher at the club!

Yeah think it''s fantastic he''s doing really well. Was clearly a very good forward in the Championship, from day one. Was just missing a bit of something to really offer too much in the Pl,, but he certainly wasn''t poor and if Derby got promoted I''d expect him to be a regular for them in the PL.

It''s nearly always nice seeing ex NCFC players doing well.

[quote user="hogesar"]He''s having a fantastic season isn''t he? Good to see him doing well. He was always good technically and Lambert consistently reminded us he was the best finisher at the club![/quote]

Because lambert new what he was talking about unlike hapless

[quote user="JF"] He may be a PL player next season again.[/quote]very strong chance he wont be playing against his old club if hughton keeps his job ;)

[quote user="Waveney canary"][quote user="hogesar"]He''s having a fantastic season isn''t he? Good to see him doing well. He was always good technically and Lambert consistently reminded us he was the best finisher at the club![/quote]

Because lambert new what he was talking about unlike hapless[/quote]

So remind me who sent him on loan to Palace in our first season back in the Premiership? If you''ve forgotten, it was your false Messiah.

I always liked Martin, was sad to see him leave, but he wasn''t getting a chance and no one can say now it wasn''t best for his career. He''s 25 now, there''s only so long he could be a PL player being loaned around and he probably wanted to just get on with his career. I''m glad that he is doing well.

[quote user="Mr Angry"][quote user="Waveney canary"][quote user="hogesar"]He''s having a fantastic season isn''t he? Good to see him doing well. He was always good technically and Lambert consistently reminded us he was the best finisher at the club![/quote]

Because lambert new what he was talking about unlike hapless[/quote]

So remind me who sent him on loan to Palace in our first season back in the Premiership? If you''ve forgotten, it was your false Messiah.[/quote]

In the words of Frank Carson........

[quote user="Mr Angry"]So remind me who sent him on loan to Palace in our first season back in the Premiership? If you''ve forgotten, it was your false Messiah.[/quote]I am not sure there was anything false about what Lambert did for us, or indeed sending a player who was not good enough on loan to get games.  As for Martin, I doubt he is good enough for the Premiership even now, but he did show glimpses of real class in those first few games under Peter Grant.Hughton made the correct decision to let go.

Definitely a player who on his day can be a world beater - sadly he lacked consistency for us and never got a chance in the prem due to injury in our promotion season.

Still plenty of footballing years left in him, and glad to see he''s doing well for himself.

Definitely a bargain on a free - can''t believe we didn''t get money for him

Well done, Chris Martin. 4th top scorer in the Championship now, I see, and playing for 2nd placed team.

In 2010-11 the guy who finished in that position amongst goal-scorers also played for the club that finished 2nd... one G. Holt.

Nuff said - I have a friend who is a season ticket holder at Pride Park and believe it or not everything people moaned about Chrissie on here is what she has said about him. She says a lot of Derby fans are not happy about him going missing in games. BUT as long as he keeps knocking them in on a regular basis and others are doing the business then hey, let it lie!

Football - its a funny old game; horses for courses and all that.

My own thought is that Chrissie does what he does well; if a manager wants to get the best out of him he has to expect other players to do the dirty work. If they are good enough so will Chrissie. I think that last point brings it home to me that we did not have enough quality in our side to bring out the best in Chrissie. There''s a thought.

Great to see him doing well but I''m not sure he will cut it in the premier league if Derby get promoted (happy to be proved wrong of course).

Always liked him as a player technically but as was pointed put when he was here and looks like a Derby fans see the same, going missing during games, being lazy or whatever you call it is ok in the Championship as you get away with it, in the Permier League you can''t do it as you need all 11 for 90 mins.

A lot of our problems this year in losing games that we should have won has been down to players not performing as they should do.

Also, you get more time in the championship and the quality of defending isn''t as good (clearly).

Having said all of that, would love to see him in the Premier League scoring goals for fun and showing us what true potential the guy has.

He was loaned out to Palace at he had been injured I believe, and Lambert wanted to get him match fit.

I am not surprised he is doing well in the Championship. I''ve always rated him.

A lot of people on here have said he is lazy, despite him getting in a lot of leg work.

As for Derby fans saying he goes missing for long periods of the game, he is a striker. Some of the most reliable goalscorers in football have been players who play to their strengths.

Chris was always more of a strength based player than a pace based player. By that I mean he was not quick like Redmond but he had strength and was good at holding the ball up and had nifty feet needed for intricate footwork which could get him out of a tight spot.

Glad he is doing a good job for Derby. As I said when he left, I hope he earned another shot at the premiership at some point and was able to give it a good go.

I always preferred Martin to Jackson, so wasn''t the most impressed when Chrissy got sent out on loan and we had a season of Cinnamon failing to perform on a regular basis instead.I genuinely think that he was the ideal 4th choice striker for us, low wages, local lad wanting to perform etc, and certainly would have done no worse than the likes of Kamara, Jackson or even Becchio (who I admit has been given a pretty harsh time so far) for the odd game we needed him (or if we wanted to rest players in cup games etc).Pleased to see him doing well (exactly as I expected him to at that level), but there are reasonable question marks over his ability at this level for a full season as against being a backup striker, but I guess the only way we''ll know for sure is if Derby do get promoted and he gets a regular run of games instead of being replaced by an unknown multi-million pound foreign striker....

[quote user="RichT - The Biscuit"] being lazy or whatever you call it is ok in the Championship as you get away with it, in the Permier League you can''t do it as you need all 11 for 90 mins. [/quote]

This was clear in the first few games in the premiership.   Standing around near the halfway line waiting for the ball, not tracking back, not reacting to what was happening in a game, the team being overun and yet he was still standing around.    I would have been delighted had he shown premiership quality at that stage, signs of trying to adapt his game or just something!   But he didn''t, which is presumably why he stopped getting games. 

Still, as a local lad and a player who did well for us in the lower leagues, I hope he has learned, as if Derby do get in the top league, he will otherwise struggle again.