Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Playing for a draw

Sunderland were the dominant team for the second half. After about 10 minutes of the second half, possession stats were 70-30%. We started to play for a draw and started time wasting noticebaly at about 70 minutes.

So, after being the better team in the first half probably, was this a conscious decision at half-time (ie a teamtalk which consisted of - dont get beat, an away point is a good result), or was this simply the natural progression of the game, in that the home team began to own the game a bit more, and our playing for a point was a reaction to this.

There is no question that at least after 70 minutes, only one team was trying to win. Is this an acceptable response to how the game had changed? Or should we have reacted by trying to get back into the game a little?

Is an away point at the bottom club a good result (if so job done), or should we expect a little more ambition and a bolder more reactive approach to becoming second best in a game?

Well I''m of the opinion any point away is decent, I think they just got the upper hand, we were struggling to keep hold of the ball so we tightened it up. Job done I''d say, though I do see where people are coming from if they''re not happy.

You underestimate Sunderland who have had decent recent form and have beaten both Man City and Chelsea at the S of Light.The Stats were Sunderland 17 shots 5 on targetCity 14 shots 5 on target.For Sunderland this was a must win.I''m well happy with a point.

Seemed simular to the 0-0 away draws to QPR and Reading last season.

Important not to allow the bottom sides 3 points and possible momentum.. if anything hopefully we took some of it away from Sunderland today. A win at Chelsea in the cup then 3 points today and they would have been away.

i think because sunderland were up for it, especially in the second half, if we had tried to go with the same tactics, you then play a very risky game, good point me thinks

[quote user="JoeyBarton666"]I''d rather lose and play for the win that witness that woeful second half performance again, the red for Brown was hilarious though.[/quote]

you sound like joey barton as well

[quote user="JoeyBarton666"]I''d rather lose and play for the win that witness that woeful second half performance again, the red for Brown was hilarious though.[/quote]Thankfully you''re not the manager. You need to learn to look at the bigger picture.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]i think because sunderland were up for it, especially in the second half, if we had tried to go with the same tactics, you then play a very risky game, good point me thinks[/quote]

Whoops Mrs Miggins you''re sitting on my artichokes!

A point was a fair result and a decent result for Norwich.

Sunderland fans will be the most disappointed.

What on earth was Ruddy doing in the right back position though!

[quote user="Le Juge"]A point was a fair result and a decent result for Norwich.

Sunderland fans will be the most disappointed.

What on earth was Ruddy doing in the right back position though![/quote]

I think it was a tactical change from hughton

[quote user="mrs miggins"]i think because sunderland were up for it, especially in the second half, if we had tried to go with the same tactics, you then play a very risky game, good point me thinks[/quote]

This is right imo.  We frustrated them - but the the quality of our passing still lets us down at times.   But a good point.  We were good in the first half and could have taken the lead.   We didn''t but we didn''t conceded either. The second half was just more difficult to sustain.   Playing for a draw.  What was it Lambert used to say?   If you can''t win, make sure you don''t get beat.   We should  be proud of the way they fought and the point gained.

Alright then, let''s look at the Mona Lisa - Sunderland are catastrophically shit and prone to awful errors, they''ve shown they''re incredibly pissed off all game and are possibly more prone to make errors than ever. Why not bring on RvW and Wes at 70 mins and go for it? We''re in need of an away win and we find ourselves away to the team at the bottom of the league with a mental case as a manager.

.... Or maybe we could settle for a point that will mean nothing at the end of the season.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="JoeyBarton666"]I''d rather lose and play for the win that witness that woeful second half performance again, the red for Brown was hilarious though.[/quote]Thankfully you''re not the manager. You need to learn to look at the bigger picture.

[/quote]

At the risk of being lynched for bringing up his name, thank god Lambert didn''t have your attitude.

A point could mean premier league survival - then it would mean an awful lot.

Six teams below us in the table and not one of them narrowed the gap on us. We have gone ahead of Cardiff and are equal points with AV. Altogether not a bad afternoon''s work for us.

Beat Fulham and we will be nine points clear of them.

Let''s be honest though, that''s not really the case or the aim of our season is it?

We began the season hoping for 8th and now the fans are happy for a point against a Sunderland that played 120 mins mid-week and giving the ball away almost constantly. A slightly more clinical side would have beaten us 3-0 in that second half.

It seems all the posters that are happy with the draw need to bore back off into the river end.

Lambert is getting absolutely crucified by Villa fans atm haha! I think it''s an important point and we clearly missed composure in central midfield. Brace yourself for fans that have "Travelled all the way to sunderland for a 0-0" they should be along shortly with the latest tomtom update.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]

There is no question that at least after 70 minutes, only one team was trying to win. [/quote]We had three attempts on goal in the last ten minutes, does not sound like a team who were not trying to win.

Sorry Barclaywazza, the only time we played at Sunderland under Lambert we were as pisspoor as I''ve seen us and lost convincingly.

The big picture is that you have to take everything into consideration - it seemed to me that we had as many/better chances generally so played pretty ok, and not for the draw, but perhaps settled for a decent away point towards the end: spot on IMO. Had we gone going-ho and been opened up at the back, we could have lost and been far closer to the bottom, and had fans moaning ad nauseum about that instead.

[quote user="JoeyBarton666"]We''re in need of an away win and we find ourselves away to the team at the bottom of the league with a mental case as a manager.

.... [/quote]Well unless I was dreaming a fortnight ago didn''t we win our last away game????????????

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Sorry Barclaywazza, the only time we played at Sunderland under Lambert we were as pisspoor as I''ve seen us and lost convincingly.

The big picture is that you have to take everything into consideration - it seemed to me that we had as many/better chances generally so played pretty ok, and not for the draw, but perhaps settled for a decent away point towards the end: spot on IMO. Had we gone going-ho and been opened up at the back, we could have lost and been far closer to the bottom, and had fans moaning ad nauseum about that instead.[/quote]

I present without comment the following as what I meant about Lambert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wxepaVlUSM

You present without comment because you don''t have an argument.

I could quite easily post a video of goss scoring against bayern and walk away as well.

Just read the Sunderland forum where one fan said that they only ever look like scoring when the opposition commits too many players forward.

If that is true (and I''ll take their fans word for it) then perhaps what was perceived as negative deep play by us in the second half today actually earned us a point rather than lost us two.

Before today Sunderland''s last 6 Home games, they had won 4, lost 2. Beat Chelsea and Southampton in the Cup, beat Man City and Newcastle in the League. Lost by one goal to Chelsea and Spurs. Hey, our point stands up pretty well!