Sign in to follow this  
Eadies Left, Hucks Right, Iwans Heed, Holts Laugh!

Palace Game - Last chance saloon

[quote user="Eadies Left Huckss Right Iwans Heed"]

This is a must win obviously but I feel with the transfer window approaching if we lose then the board need to act and make the change, I would go for Solskjaer before Cardiff snap him up (Although I thing SAF has advised him against it?)

Obviously I want us to win though!!!

[/quote]No such thing as a must win at this stage of the season.

ricardo wrote the following post at 2013-12-30 5:24 PM:

Eadies Left Huckss Right Iwans Heed wrote:

This is a must win obviously but I feel with the transfer window approaching if we lose then the board need to act and make the change, I would go for Solskjaer before Cardiff snap him up (Although I thing SAF has advised him against it?)

No such thing as a must win at this stage of the season.

WHAT. Every game is a must win, surely!?

Yep iv''e never understood this attitude of no such thing as a must win. Every match should be approached and considered a must win, anything less is unacceptable.

It would be a significant reverse, and make our task more fraught and difficult, but in a few more weeks we ought to have back all our injured players except Benno.

I''m convinced that even with Hughton''s strange decisions, and his limitations, we have enough talent to survive, so long as he can get the players motivated.

Come on guys, don''t argue over the phrase. We all know what is meant by a ''must win game''. Every game is a ''must try and win'' if you like?

As for Palace, it''s a must-not-lose I think. But I''m sure we will still be fine regardless. There''s still 6 teams worse off than we are, plus we have been pretty hard hit by injuries. We have a striker on form now and another coming back to match fitness, which is something we haven''t had for the bulk of this season. Absolutely no reason to panic at all just yet. Maybe come back and talk about ''must-win'' games if we are actually in the relegation zone?

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Eadies Left Huckss Right Iwans Heed"]

[/quote]No such thing as a must win at this stage of the season.[/quote]Absolute bull.If you dont think a game against fellow relegation candidate is must win then you''re living in cloud cuckoo land. If we cant beat sides in the drop zone what hope do we have?

If you think every game is must win, you surely can''t enjoy football?

Going into a game thinking its ''must win'' is a lose-meh situation. If you win, it was a must win so you''ve done nothing special. If you lose its terrible as it was a must win.

How can you enjoy it?

There are no ''must win'' games. What you must do to stay in the league is win enough games, but no individual game is must win. Some games become more important if you''re on a bad run, or even a good run. If you''re getting drawn into the drop zone, if its the last couple of games and you need 3 points to stay up then you must win one of those games, but thats about the only time i''d find it personally acceptable to go into a game thinking its must win.

Of course its up to you if you think Palace, or every game, is a must win. But for me that can only lead to disappointment. Fulham was disappointing because I was quite confidant we''d get a result. Man.U wasn''t as disappointing, it just made the Fulham result more so.

A win would be great, one point acceptable and even a defeat would''nt be that much of a disaster.I have us down for a draw and we will finish the season with 40 points in 11th. place - no problem!

Personally I think it''s a must not lose because we can''t afford to keep dropping points against teams near the bottom with us. But I''d hardly be overjoyed with a draw. Would do nothing to lift the pressure. Three points are probably required given the last two home games.

I am giving up New Year''s Day with the family to go to that flee pit of a ground so we better win or i will be calling for his removal and the return of the Messiah

Plastics take note. This is dedication

Hughton is not going to be sacked this season, certainly not before the transfer window. His job became secure after the fortunate wins at West Ham and West Brom (and I say fortunate because the opposition were the better team in both games and we had significant gifts from the opposition in both games). The board have nothing to point to to suggest he isnt doing his job, nothing relevent anyway. He''s here for the rest of the season, the board dont want to sack him, so we now have to get behind the team rather than screaming for the managers head. it aint gonna happen so support the team and hopefully we''ll still be here next season

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Eadies Left Huckss Right Iwans Heed"]

[/quote]

No such thing as a must win at this stage of the season.
[/quote]

Sadly, I fear ricardo that your prediction, re CH still here in May will be spot on........if that is the case, we wll have been relegated.

So no, I don''t think its a must win either.

[quote user="The gut"]Maybe not a must win but a definite 6 pointer![/quote]As the great Kevin Keegan once said, they''ve got two options. They can win, lose or draw.Personally can''t see us winning that game. We''re struggling for goals right now and Palace are much improved under Tony Pulis from the team we scrapped a 1-0 win over at home a month ago. Form would likely suggest a low scoring victory on the behalf of Palace unfortunately.Unless we''re beaten by 3+ goals though it would be worth replacing the manager over.

[quote user="Holtcantshoot"][quote user="The gut"]Maybe not a must win but a definite 6 pointer![/quote]As the great Kevin Keegan once said, they''ve got two options. They can win, lose or draw.Personally can''t see us winning that game. We''re struggling for goals right now and Palace are much improved under Tony Pulis from the team we scrapped a 1-0 win over at home a month ago. Form would likely suggest a low scoring victory on the behalf of Palace unfortunately.Unless we''re beaten by 3+ goals though it would be worth replacing the manager over.[/quote]Pullis was appointed on 23rd Nov, his first game was away at Norwich. In the 7 games of his tenure he has gained 9 points (supposedly great form)In the same time period City have gained 8 pts (supposedly poor form).If both teams completed the season in the same form they still wouldn''t catch us.Many a beautiful theory spoiled by an ugly fact.[;)]

Indeed Ricardo, and I expect a point at least from this game! after the way we played on Saturday we have every reason to feel confident.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Indeed Ricardo, and I expect a point at least from this game! after the way we played on Saturday we have every reason to feel confident.[/quote]A loss would be psychologically damaging but I wouldn''t be unhappy with a draw. Palace have got to be targeting this as a must win from their point of view although nobody will die if it''s a draw.I''d hazard a guess at 0-0 or 1-1.

I think the players were pretty disappointed with the result on Saturday! They should be able to use that as positive motivation to put in a good performance. I hope the players do turn up and put on a good show for the fans, an away win would be a great start to the year, a draw would be ok!