Sign in to follow this  
SeattleCanary

The table comparison for losses

Here''s a scary stat:
Last season we lost only 4 times at home, and 14 times overall. 
This season we have already lost 4 at home, and 10 overall. So we''ve lost more than half our games this season.
With our inability to grind out results, and especially draws, we best hope we can start winning soon! With our defence and goals against column not looking to healthy, we are sure to finish with more than 14 losses this season, and surely lose at least 1 or 2 more at home.
I have little confidence now that we have what we need to avoid the drop, both on the pitch and off it. Long second half to the season ahead.

One of the things that saved us last year was that we had decent home form. That seems to have deserted us at the minute. The last few games have not seen js slide down the table but they have seen our points cushion diminish. We need to get back to grinding out results before we find ourselves looking up at 17th place and hoping to crawl out of the bottom 3

The only real improvement I can see in the second half of the season, would be from three things:

1) RvW finds his shooting boots, and Hooper continues in rich vein.

2) Our long-term injury victims, and especially Tettey, recover quickly and play at their best.Also that we have no more such injuries, as our effective squad is too small.

3) We sign another all-round central midfielder like Fer.

I have little faith in the management, so even with the three possibilities, it''s going to be a long and hard slog.

[quote user="Salopian"]The only real improvement I can see in the second half of the season, would be from three things:

1) RvW finds his shooting boots, and Hooper continues in rich vein.

2) Our long-term injury victims, and especially Tettey, recover quickly and play at their best.Also that we have no more such injuries, as our effective squad is too small.

3) We sign another all-round central midfielder like Fer.

I have little faith in the management, so even with the three possibilities, it''s going to be a long and hard slog.[/quote]

I wouldn''t say we need another all rounded centre midfielder. We need a complete centre half. A ball winning, tall, strong, leader who can organise. Bassong has been way off his game all season and even if he picked up his form from now until the end of the season he wouldn''t be deserving of the same accolades he received last season.

However, we have already won 2 away games . . . .

Swings and roundabouts. Fixture wise, game for game, as of a few games ago we were actually ahead on points per equivalent games when compared to last season.

The difficulty of comparing points in a season is that it doesn''t take into account how the fixtures fall.

Things like international breaks which can break a run of form, or disrupt an attempt to get form going, especially after a summer that has seen several new players brought in.

When you look at our unbeaten run last season, the fixture list was, in some ways, quite kind in that the more difficult teams that we got results against were spaced out and at home allowing the team to pick up form and momentum going into tough fixtures with top 4-6 teams.

This season has been more topsy-turvy. In part because from what I have seen no team in the bottom half is playing with any sort of form and in many cases are far more dire than us going forward. This means that the thing they will focus on is not being beaten and be defensive.

Compared to at least 6-7 sides in the bottom half, we are far more positive. We don''t always get what we deserve for it though. And I think that eats at us at times. The best example is the Man U game so far. We had infinitely more and better chances up until the goal. Had we had taken one or two the story would have been different. The problem is that in missing chances the teams confidence will start to drain. There is only so long that any of 12 or so teams can pin back a top 6 side.

hard to compare us to this stage last season, as it was so unbalanced by that 10 game run - but agree that having lost 10 already would be more of a worry if we were in the bottom 3. Fortunately we are not.

We could do with a second season losing all three xmas/new year games tho.

COYY

Come on you lot.  Every season is different and you just can''t predict where we will get results and where we won''t.   The big thing for me is that the spirit is in evidence,  there are players to come back, players to find their form and improvements that will inevitably happen because the manager encourages players to do the right things in training.   Sure we need to improve, sure we can do better, but as long as Hughton is here he will have my confidence because I believe his strategy will work given time.  

As for the rest of this season there is plenty to be optimistic about  if you want to be optimistic, but I recognise the opposite is true too, there are things to be pessimistic about too - if you want to be pessimistic.  The balanced view of course is that it will be a battle, but I don''t really see why we have to be pessimistic about that.   So stop your post new year''s eve mithering and look forward to the rest of the season with a bit of optimism.   Go on, it won''t hurt you.

We do need to start grinding out a few more draws- 10 losses at this stage is quite a few and psychologically I would imagine a hard earned 1-1 draw rather than a 1-0 loss makes a big difference.