Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

How do we react to a loss at Palace?

Entertain the notion we lose today at Palace. Obviously disappointing and our relegation rivals would gain 3 points on us. BUT, realistically would this be the absolute travesty it would no doubt be labelled. Palace are traditionally a team we havent done very well against. We are generally not very good away. We have lost our last 2 games and Palace are in a pretty good run of form considering their start to the season. They are a lot more effective under Pulis so far. Theyre not as useless as some would insist. I think a lot of these factors suggest not losing today would be a pretty good result, though im sure many would see anything but a win a travesty. I think not losing today would be a good result, with a loss disappointing, but lets not over-react. I think the loss to Fulham was more disappointing

I''ll be extremely pissed off because regardless of it being away, to a bogey team in form, we''re much better than them and excluding bad luck or decisions if the team is up for it, properly motivated and the tactics are correct we should beat them. I think we''ll draw but a loss would be extremely disappointing, not a sack able offence for Hughton but I think he''ll get a lot of stick for it and rightly so.

A more appropriate title should be How do the board react to a loss at Palace. Losing to relegation rivals twice in a week is totally unacceptable and I would imagine Mcnally and Co would share that opinion.

It''s no good putting in a decent performance against United and handing your rivals 3 points, those are the games that ultimately decide your fate, anything against the top teams is a bonus.

If we lose today I fully expect that Hughton will be rightly or wrongly unemployed by the wkend.

The same way we react to a win

Abject despair, personal insults against the management and slating our players.

Oh, sorry, I thought you asked how will the brain dead 100 year old canary callers that seem to believe they are the fountain of all football knowledge react. Of course things were different back in there day and frankly all this change in football is a bad thing. For them football is now purely about point scoring with useless diatribe and being purposefully massively negative in an attempt to appear learned and sophisticated but as a result turning into a deeply unpopular hate filled moron that people avoid like the plague for fear that being in their presence may cause some sort of transmitted social disorder.

There ya go, happy new year.

Its strange how people think we have an automatic right to beat teams like Palace.  They have proved in recent weeks they are going to be more of a force to be reckoned with than some may have thought.   So it would not be a disgrace if we lost to them.  But that will mean nothing to the Hughton doubters as a defeat will just mean to them another stick to beat him with.    We need results, but if we don''t get it today, it just means we will have to get them elsewhere.   No panic. No "the end is nigh" doom laden drama.    Just move on and try to improve for the next game.  

History proves that it is not just the points you get against your near rivals that count.  Every match is winnable as much as every match is loseable.  Unless we''re cut off at the bottom without much hope (like 2004) then there is no reason to panic, have histrionics, call for the manager''s head, or lose your toys.   Palace could beat us and we have to accept that.   If it happens we simply have to move on to the next game and win or at least draw that.

No one believes we have an automatic right to beat them LCD. The fact is that if we are to stay up you have to beat the teams in and around you, Palace will be saying the same. To lose twice in a week to those teams would be career suicide for Hughton IMO so with that in mind I think he will approach with caution resulting in a draw.

I think Hughton will stay in post for at least the rest of this season, whether we lose at Palace or not.And if we lose at Palace, it will put us in the mire, and we''ll just have to try and dig ourselves out of it.

3 points today or he should be sackedthat would be 2 points from a potential 15get rid now and you give the new guy a chance with the transfer window open and enough games to make a difference

People don''t think w have an automatic right to beat teams like palace but we need to be getting something.

These are the teams we target in our bid for survival.

If West brom get anything today, we are looking really in the mire. So I personally will be depressed about it all.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]We look at the table and discover we have entered the relegation battle.[/quote]We''ve never been out of it.

We pick ourselves up and we go again.

Add ''we look at the positives'' and I swear mister chops is Hughton in disguise!!!

If we lose I shall just sit back and take in the pearls of wisdom that LDC will no doubt spout all over this messageboard. Jeeezzus that last post of his on here just makes me sooooooooooooooo annoyed. [:@]

[quote user="lharman7"]We pick ourselves up and we go again.

Add ''we look at the positives'' and I swear mister chops is Hughton in disguise!!![/quote]Whoosh.

LDC, I don''t think it''s about having an automatic right to beat teams like Palace, but it is common sense that you should expect a higher likelihood of beating teams below you than you would teams above you.

Palace may be in form of sorts, they may not be completely useless, we may not thrash them 5-0 every time we play them etc. etc. etc. Bottom line is, they are one of the main candidates for relegation this season and a loss to them (especially on the back of the last couple of results) will leave me very much doubting Hughton''s future at the club.

I wouldn''t say I''d be happy with a point, but it''ll be enough to keep Houghton in a job. Given the Fulham result, I really don''t know how McNally and co would react if we were to lose today.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]If we lose I shall just sit back and take in the pearls of wisdom that LDC will no doubt spout all over this messageboard. Jeeezzus that last post of his on here just makes me sooooooooooooooo annoyed. [:@][/quote]

[:D]   Good, but you are only annoyed because I put a reasonable point of view across - not a doom laden post or a happy clappy point, but a balanced point -  and deep down, you know I''m right - defeat today would  not be the end of the world (and anyway, we got a hard fought point out of it).