Sign in to follow this  
YellowNets1901

Caught between a rock and a hard place

3 points off mid-table, 3 points off the relegation zone.

So, what do we do?

For me, whilst we''re only 3 points from mid-table, we still look a million miles away. Over the Christmas period we achieved 2 points from a possible 12. Three of those games were more than winnable, but it was no surprise to see us achieve no victories in this period.

My personal expectation for the season was 9th place. Yes, we are still on course for achieving this, you could argue. However, we will not finish 9th, that much looks inevitable. I doubt we will even finish 10th. I read Twitter a lot and several fans on there find away draws at Palace and Sunderland all very acceptable, but surely you have to win home games for these draws to become acceptable. We lost to a poor Fulham side and a poor Man United side, two games we should''ve got at least 3, maybe 4 points from. Instead we collected 0 points.

We spent £30m during the summer, as you all know. The results of that spending have been somewhat disappointing. Yes, we''ve purchased good individuals, but if our spending was so fantastic, why do we constantly struggle for wins? We have four tough games at the end of the season. We need 40 points in place by then, 38 points at the least. Can Hughton achieve this? No, is my opinion.

I believe the quality of our playing squad has surpassed the quality of our management team. Hughton, Calderwood, Trollope, Watson. How good are this bunch, really? Ruddy hasn''t looked the same player since Lambert left in my opinion. Ok, he was injured for a large chunk of last season, granted, but still doesn''t look the same quality keeper.

I would sack Hughton along with his staff. Take a risk. My choices for people to bring in are:

(All choices would be given Neil Adams as first team coach)

Malky Mackay

Ole Gunnar Solskjær (Cardiff bound)

Harry Redknapp

Neil Lennon

I believe that all of the names above would be better than Hughton and with Neil Adams in the setup to coach our wingers and ball strikers, I think we would offer the league more than we do now and stand a better chance of staying up.

Some interesting points.I agree that the most disappointing result over the last 4 games was the Fulham defeat, especially after going a goal up. However, some of the outrage leveled at the Sunderland, and specifically the Palace result I find astounding. We grafted 2 away points, and made sure 2 relegation candidates didn''t take 3 points from us. All away from home. I don''t know what all the fuss is about.On to the sackings. I honestly don''t see your logic. You don''t believe Hughton can achieve 38 points, yet he managed to achieve 19 in the first half, with a squad thinned by injury. Sorry, I don''t follow.Then, you suggest we ''take a risk''. I''d suggest that right now would be the time not to be ''taking risks'', as the risk (i.e. relegation) does not equal the reward (at best, 9th).As for the list of managers, Mackay would do a job, but for me is simular to what we have, and it wouldn''t be too long before he has the same reaction from some of the fans. Ole would be a massive risk, and personally I think he''s in for a big fall at Cardiff, which might not be all his own doing, but may also hurt his reputation at least in the short term. Redknapp would be an absolute joke (sorry, just my opinion), and Lennon uninspiring.I''m not a massive fan of our style and some of Hughton''s decisions at the moment. But, I think there is something to be said for stability. Newcastle for example (ironic I know seeing as though what they did to Hughton) stuck with Pardew last year. They weathered last years storm, and bedded in a pretty good squad. They''re new getting some results from that. I think we should be doing the same thing.

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]3 points off mid-table, 3 points off the relegation zone. 

My personal expectation for the season was 9th place. Yes, we are still on course for achieving this, you could argue. However, we will not finish 9th, that much looks inevitable. [/quote]

Its a glass half-empty outlook, right enough.   But why do we have to have a glass half-empty outlook?   Why does three points of mid table and three points off relegation zone need to seem  bad?  We put together a ten match unbeaten run last season so Hughton is capable of consistent success  and despite the doom and gloom this season we have put in some good performances and some notable results.   And it is the hardest league in the world where we have less resources in relative terms than a lot of the other teams. 

A slight improvement (which I suspect will happen as we get players back from injury) and results should improve and that mid table position should emerge.  A slight downturn where we don''t pick up any points in the next three or four games will see us further down the table.  But neither of these eventualities is cast in stone - so why do we continually pick the doom laden scenario over the other one?   Why not just enjoy the battle and wait and see what happens?    It could go either way.    That''s the joy of football.   You can''t have what you want for tomorrow today so you have to try and enjoy it now.    Sometimes things are good, sometimes they are not so good, but we are not down and out and there are reasons to be optimistic if you want to see them.   Hooper for instance.  Wes still has his mo-jo.   RVW will surely start scoring.   Pilks to come back. Tettey too - and Howson who has become an important player for us.  Try not to judge one way or the other and it becomes a delicious experience - "will we, won''t we" - and we don''t know - and that is the fun of it.   Some people don''t like the in between approach, but its where we are and we should imo accept it and stop trying to blame the manager for everything.    The season is only half finished, still plenty of games to go, time for us to improve - and yes the opposite can happen - but that is part of the fun of it - the not knowing. 

Aston Villa A

Stoke City H

Southampton A

Sunderland H

Swansea City A

West Bromwich Albion H

Fulham A

There''s our key run of games just before that solid run in.

We need to get at least 4 wins from them i think.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Aston Villa A

Stoke City H

Southampton A

Sunderland H

Swansea City A

West Bromwich Albion H

Fulham A

We need to get at least 4 wins from them i think.[/quote]

Agree. But we were saying the same just before the most recent run of games that were going to see us kick on.

Judge him after 10 games people were saying, once the squad has settled.

It''s now 20 and its still the same problems as last year. Hughton has done nothing this season to change my views of him.

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Aston Villa A

Stoke City H

Southampton A

Sunderland H

Swansea City A

West Bromwich Albion H

Fulham A

We need to get at least 4 wins from them i think.[/quote]

Agree. But we were saying the same just before the most recent run of games that were going to see us kick on.

Judge him after 10 games people were saying, once the squad has settled.

It''s now 20 and its still the same problems as last year. Hughton has done nothing this season to change my views of him.[/quote]But the squad hasn''t settled though, has it?How often has Hughton been able to pick who he would like to pick?Injuries to just about every single key player at various times really isn''t just an empty excuse.

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]3 points off mid-table, 3 points off the relegation zone.

So, what do we do?

For me, whilst we''re only 3 points from mid-table, we still look a million miles away. Over the Christmas period we achieved 2 points from a possible 12. Three of those games were more than winnable, but it was no surprise to see us achieve no victories in this period.

My personal expectation for the season was 9th place. Yes, we are still on course for achieving this, you could argue. However, we will not finish 9th, that much looks inevitable. I doubt we will even finish 10th. I read Twitter a lot and several fans on there find away draws at Palace and Sunderland all very acceptable, but surely you have to win home games for these draws to become acceptable. We lost to a poor Fulham side and a poor Man United side, two games we should''ve got at least 3, maybe 4 points from. Instead we collected 0 points.

We spent £30m during the summer, as you all know. The results of that spending have been somewhat disappointing. Yes, we''ve purchased good individuals, but if our spending was so fantastic, why do we constantly struggle for wins? We have four tough games at the end of the season. We need 40 points in place by then, 38 points at the least. Can Hughton achieve this? No, is my opinion.

I believe the quality of our playing squad has surpassed the quality of our management team. Hughton, Calderwood, Trollope, Watson. How good are this bunch, really? Ruddy hasn''t looked the same player since Lambert left in my opinion. Ok, he was injured for a large chunk of last season, granted, but still doesn''t look the same quality keeper.

I would sack Hughton along with his staff. Take a risk
. My choices for people to bring in are:

(All choices would be given Neil Adams as first team coach)

Malky Mackay

Ole Gunnar Solskjær (Cardiff bound)

Harry Redknapp

Neil Lennon

I believe that all of the names above would be better than Hughton and with Neil Adams in the setup to coach our wingers and ball strikers, I think we would offer the league more than we do now and stand a better chance of staying up.[/quote]Easy to say when its not your money your risking,The senisble option is to keep Hughton, Im fairly confident he will keep us up,Then if the right man is available, thank CH for his work and bring in a fresh face