Sign in to follow this  
Ray

The Difference Between Today And Saturday - Russell Martin

After such a great performance on Saturday why the h*ll was he not started today? Apparently, and according to CH, he can now play three positions, RB, CB and CM, yet as a natural leader he doesn''t start.

Is it because he ignored team orders and dared to venture over the halfway line??

Why was Whittaker dropped for Utd? He didn''t deserve that.

Looks like CH doesn''t know who the better player is.

GJP wrote the following post at 01/01/2014 6:00 PM:

Why was Whittaker dropped for Utd? He didn''t deserve that.

Looks like CH doesn''t know who the better player is.

Whittaker was awful against Fulham and deserved to be dropped. Quite what Hughtons logic was today I don''t know.

He was not awful at all. He didn''t deserve to be dropped but neither did Martin.

Very odd.

GJP,

Irrespective of who should and shouldn''t have been dropped in the past (last year!), RM played a blinder on Saturday, the best RB performance all season from either of them, so why drop him, and yes I would have said the same if, and IMO it is a big if, Whitts has started Saturday and played as well.

What this shows is the mentality of our manager, and I''m, not criticising or praising, I''m just saying it shows the menatality of our manager.

Another questionable, idiotic decision. Whilst he has not always played brilliantly this season Martin was arguably our driving force on Saturday. To drop him for Whitaker was bizarre, especially as the latter is not really on form. His passing today was awful. I lost count of the number of aimless long balls he played to nobody.

GJP,

If that was the point you were making, we agree then that RM performance on Saturday was the best by either RB all season and should of played today.

It''ll be interesting to see what the line up is this Saturday what with Turner out (I am assuming), RM at CB, RB or CM?

We may see Adel Gafaiti in the squad, or on the bench possibly? A youngster with a future IMO.

Really looking forward to Saturday. We are going to have to rest players because of the injury situation. We should see some youngsters on the pitch. Maybe even both the Murphys at some point.

I missed the first half of the Utd game as Id promised to take the missus shopping. Saw the MOTD highlights (and whilst I always take them with a huge sack of salt) Martin seemed to be at the heart of everything good we did. Interesting that he was commenting on Hughtons job in the post-match interview. Although he was supportive of the manager, the fact he was discussing it (Im sure it was an answer to a direct question about it - but they didnt show that) might not have gone down too well with the boss. Might Martin have been dropped because Hughton didnt like him discussing this?

I suspect that Hughton sees little difference in contribution between the two right backs, so he is giving them short runs on the pitch to keep them in readiness for needs in MF or at CB. Both are reliable up to a point wherever they play, and both are lacking in pace.

You lot are hilarious.  Its called squad rotation - utilising the squad at a very busy period for games.   Lambert used to do that all the time.  Oh, I forgot, he could do no wrong............

Does seem a bit odd though than Martin would play so well, club capatin and all, then find himself on the bench for no apparent reason. Cant think it was a tactical decision either, as its not like the two of them are chalk and cheese. Notice he''s not rotating Olsson and Garrido similarly, thats because Olsson has generally played very well and kept his place