Sign in to follow this  
pete

Ricky and Hoops must star together in the cup

Hughton needs to see if RVP and Gary H can play together and best place to start is on Saturday against Fulham. With our injury situation getting knocked out may be the best result. Without Fer down to bare bones in midfield time to try Snoddy in central midfield and a start for Josh Murphy perhaps.

I''d start RvW but rest Hooper.

Can''t see how Snodgrass could ever be considered suitable for central midfield and having seen his quotes after the Palace game he also definitely needs a rest. I think a lot of the disappoint performances over the Christmas period have been down to tiredness, caused by injuries and lack of squad depth. Turner''s injury looked a nasty one yesterday so Bassong (who looked exhausted yesterday) will have to dig deep for a while.

I''m not usually one for playing the kids in the cup, but players such as Redmond, Snodgrass, Hooper, Bassong, Olsson and Johnson are in need of a break to regain their fitness or Norwich risk fresh injuries. I can''t see Fulham putting out a strong team either - may be time to see just how good some of the younger players are and except no FA Cup glory this season.

If there was ever time to rest your first team players and give the other squad players a run out it is now.   I would be quite annoyed if there were any of our regulars playing out there on Saturday.  Give the others a chance, the league position is too precarious to risk the first team players on a cup run. RVW is the exception - he needs game time and goals.  

Sorry to disappoint you but that won''t happen, team will probably be something close to;

GK. Bunn

DL. Garrido

DC. Bennett

DC. Bassong

DR. Whittaker

DM. Fox

DM. Bradders

AML. Snoddy

AMC. Hoolahan

AMR. Murphy

ST. RVW

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

I''d start RvW but rest Hooper.

Can''t see how Snodgrass could ever be considered suitable for central midfield and having seen his quotes after the Palace game he also definitely needs a rest. I think a lot of the disappoint performances over the Christmas period have been down to tiredness, caused by injuries and lack of squad depth. Turner''s injury looked a nasty one yesterday so Bassong (who looked exhausted yesterday) will have to dig deep for a while.

I''m not usually one for playing the kids in the cup, but players such as Redmond, Snodgrass, Hooper, Bassong, Olsson and Johnson are in need of a break to regain their fitness or Norwich risk fresh injuries. I can''t see Fulham putting out a strong team either - may be time to see just how good some of the younger players are and except no FA Cup glory this season.

[/quote]This ^^We can''t risk any more injuries to key players with our squad looking as bare as it currently does.

LDC we don''t have any reserves.... Pretty much only the two GK, Becchio and Garrido that didn''t play in last four games out of fit squad players.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]LDC we don''t have any reserves.... Pretty much only the two GK, Becchio and Garrido that didn''t play in last four games out of fit squad players.[/quote]

[:S] Yes, you''re right.   Time to call back Surman? So in that case my team would be -                   BunnWhittaker Martin Bennett GaridoMurphy Johnson Hoolahan Surman             Becchio RVW

If we were to field a high number of the up and coming youth team could we be fined for it? As wolves were in the PL.

I like this thread, for one reason, in that it highlights just how limited, despite the spending just how thin our squad is. Maybe some on here will now realise just why we will be slugging it out for the rest of the season to stay in this league. As for this Cup match, I would love a FA Cup run, but would sacrifice one this season for a place in this league next. But, would still not want to see a team full of youth, rather the opportunity to rest those players with fitness / tiredness issues who need a break and that is up to the coaching staff as I actually have no idea from simply watching on the TV other than Snodgrass who is clearly tired after coming back and playing full on for three matches. Perhaps we will see a RVW and Becchio pairing up front with Murphy and Redmond wide, could be interesting....perhaps not.    

I''d like to see Luciano given 90 minutes.Put out a team like:                                BunnMartin     Bennett      Turner           Garrido

J Murphy    McGheehan   Johnson        J Muprhy

Bechio     Wolkswinkel

Give the youth a chance and match fitness for wolfy

[quote user="JF"]If we were to field a high number of the up and coming youth team could we be fined for it? As wolves were in the PL.[/quote]

No, that rule only applied to the League and has now been removed due to being too ambiguous.

The whole "do we need another central midfielder" debate in the summer comes in to sharp focus now. The answer to that was YES! Unless we can get one (a decent one) in the window, then we will have just about got away with it. But if Turner is another 6 weeker, Bassong like last season appears to playing on adrenaline alone, we are in trouble back there.

I''d go with Martin and Bennett which we did at the back end of last season and they look surprisingly ok together.

I''d rest as many first teamers as possible given that they all looked totally shagged out yesterday. Redmond especially. In fact I''d go so far as to give Nathan 2 or 3 weeks off the next chance we get.

[quote user="splutcho"]I''d rest as many first teamers as possible given that they all looked totally shagged out yesterday. Redmond especially. In fact I''d go so far as to give Nathan 2 or 3 weeks off the next chance we get.[/quote]Agree[Y]

[quote user="morty"]Surman?Seriously?[/quote]

He is still our player and if it means saving first team regulars for the league..................but as someone else said, if it is allowable to field more youngsters, that would be better.

If Surman was available then I''d have him in the squad.

He''s a good player and he''s never let us down. We''re stretched thin and not playing particularly well either.

It''s not like we''re talking about someone like Mark Fotheringham who would be horrifically out of his depth at this level. Surman can handle it well enough.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]Surman?Seriously?[/quote]

He is still our player and if it means saving first team regulars for the league..................but as someone else said, if it is allowable to field more youngsters, that would be better.

[/quote]The same Surman who is at AFC Bournmouth on a one year loan deal and isn''t even getting a game for them?[:D]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]Surman?

Seriously?
[/quote]

[/quote]

The same Surman who is at AFC Bournmouth on a one year loan deal and isn''t even getting a game for them?

[:D]
[/quote]

Might be this Surman. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25482147

balls to the cup, we arent going to win it, staying up is the priorityplay the youth teamcome out with a statement a few days before the game and absolve them of responsibility, take the pressure off, call it a reward for winning the youth cup, let the first team recover from fatigue/injuries etc.

I agree 100 percent. Hooper and Van Wolfswinkel should start. In fact I had just started a thread on the same subject (obviously missed this one).

I also agree with others who have suggested resting redmond, we don''t want him to burn out. I would probably give murphy a game instead.

However if the players can manage it I would also be tempted to stick with our strongest back four - as they also could do with the game time (like the front two) to keep sorting things out. Having said that It really is almost impossible to tell from the outside who needs a break, but Hooper and Van Wolfswinkel together for at least 60 mins is a must for me - its too good an opportunity to waste.

Hughton has confirmed that RvW will play on Saturday, I would suspect that means that Hooper is rested (and rightly so) - let him have a break as he''s had to play a lot of football after returning from injury and it isn''t worth risking another strain and some more time on the sidelines.

I think that this is the first time that I have agreed with anything you''ve written Stan! Put in a couple of older players to fill in to bookend the youngsters (Bunn, as an experienced keeper is a priority (and Britt has left) and RVW to inspire and add the potential game changer, partnering Carlton of course) and have at ''em

Its a useful opportunity to give Hoops a break and give RVW some game time on his way back to full fitness. I would rest a fair number of the team from the Palace game - there was a lot of the regulars looking like they were running on empty over the Christmas fixtures. If there was ever an opportunity for some fringe players and our young players coming through surely this must be the time.

"iron_stan"balls to the cup, we arent going to win it, staying up is the priority

play the youth team

come out with a statement a few days before the game and absolve them of responsibility, take the pressure off, call it a reward for winning the youth cup, let the first team recover from fatigue/injuries etc.

I''d quite happily back this proposal, with a couple of older fringe players chucked in for measure. But you have to promise not to moan all Saturday long if or when we lose.

If we play two strikers, and we have no Elmander or Wes to support/supply them, where will the creativity come from with Johno occupying one of the two midfield berths? The wide players have not been so creative recently, with the most experienced, Pilks, having been out a few weeks.

It is a difficult selection problem, and may come down to priorities. Do we wish to protect/rest one or two important players for the more important Premiership battle ahead, or would we wish to have a couple more lucrative rounds in the cup at risk of losing players for the Premiership games upcoming?

For what it''s worth, I think that Ruddy could be given a rest. I also expect Murphy to start. RvW could play, with Becchio on the bench. I think that Howson may not be risked, even if fit, to give him another week before he plays in the EPL If he does play I suspect that he may have only half a match, in order to gain a little match fitness.

Turner''s injury could put him out for six weeks, but I am assuming that Bassong and Bennett will continue their partnership, with Martin stepping in if one has to go off, whether from RB or from the bench.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Play the yoof... unlike previous seasons this year we are right in the relegation battle.

Hooper certainly should not even be on the bench.[/quote]

Agreed Foggy. We have to give players a rest in this game. If possible I''d rest Bradley Johnson too. A lot has been asked of our midfield over the Christmas period. It''s been impossible to rest any of them.

I''m really looking forward to Saturday''s game. Josh murphy should start. We may even see both the Murphys on the pitch together before the game is out. We could well see some more of our youngsters in midfield and even defence at some point.

Four of my grandkids will be there too. Like the Murphys they are our future. In years to come as the old duffers sling in their season tickets they will take their place. The future is bright...