Sign in to follow this  
Haggerdoo

Can anyone see us getting close to 40 points by the end of the season?

It will be a challenge to get 40 points the way this league is shaping up this year, BUT its clear that teams will probably survive on less than 40 points and we will be one of them, I have no doubt....and also no doubt it will be a scrap until the end.....some on here really do have to accept that fact and then they may even enjoy the ride! 

Every so often a good result comes along - against WBA, for instance, although it could have been so different if the Baggies had shown their usual talent in front of goal.

When the result comes, we sit back pleased, and the Board relaxes.

For most games, however, we look a poor team, struggling to beat teams at the bottom of the table.

I have to say that the second is more typical. The much vaunted signings seem to have settled into the morass, and two things will be necessary for survival, let alone 40 points.

Firstly, we need some better luck with injuries, in order to make the most of a fairly small effective squad.

Secondly there has to be a change in management thinking - more rapid response to evident needs, more flexibility in thought and above all a communication to the players of passion and conviction. The present management team show little evidence of being able to do these, and unless they can somehow find the way to change, I fear for our chances.

The point against CP saw us gain on six of the teams around us, as long as we keep grinding out points we will be okay.

Some of our rivals are shaping up to implode in the second half and there is still half the league in the mix.

I predict 38 points to see us on 15th place.

On current form, I think we are looking at 34/35 points by the end of the season.It''s been a miserable Christmas full of missed opportunities to turn the season around.With our form against teams around us being unpredictable at best, it''s hard to guess which way things will work out in 2014.I can only hope that the transfer windows brings in the kind of player that can provide better quality service to Hooper and RVW.  17 goals scored in 20 games is fairly damning.

If you where to take the form of our last 18 games and apply them to our last 18 we would finish on 36points if you do the same to from of the current 15th to 20th in the league the table would stand:

15th Fulham 38p

16th NCFC 36p

17th Palace 34p

18th Cardiff 32p

19th Westham 29p

20th Sunderland 28p

We earned 16 points out of our last 18 games. I honestly can''t see us getting 16 points out of our next 18 more like 11 witch would give us 32 points might just scrape it.

[quote user="Jimbo-Canary"]Our next league game is away at Everton, oh deep joy.[:S][/quote]Yes, the same Everton who still haven''t beaten us in 5 games since our return to the Premier League.

Even if we get 40 and survive, given that our target was an improvement on last season, possibly a top ten finish then Hughton surely has to go? Nobody else would be permitted to spend that much money and fail so miserably surely....

My analysis is based on grouping the fixtures into two categories - Cat 1 where points are more likely, and Cat 2 where points are less likely - under Cat 1 I have Hull (H) Newcastle (H) Cardiff (A) West Ham (H) Villa (A) Stoke (H) Sunderland (H) West Brom (H) Fulham (A) and from these 9 matches target 15pts via 4 wins, 3 draws, 2 losses. Cat 2 fixtures Everton (A) Man C (H) Spurs (H) Southampton (A) Swansea (A) Liverpool (H) Man U (A) Chelsea (A) Arsenal (H) and from these 9 matches target 5pts via 1 win, 2 draws and 6 losses. Thus overall target 40 pts total, which would equate to a comfortable 15th position this year. Here''s hoping, anyway.

Cannot see much chance of getting more than 37 points at present - but it may be enough. While the stats indicate we may pick up the right number of points in the second half of the season, more worrying is that our performances have been poor too often and show little grounds for optimism. There doesn''t seem to be much coherency or consistency about our play and when we go forward we are usually too slow and seem to lack a clear idea of what we are doing. Injuries have played a big part and many of the regulars are looking exhausted. Its worrying that we seem to be getting down to bare bones and could be without key players for some time to come, but also not able to rest some players that clearly need it. That may be critical over the next 6 weeks.Still hopeful but I hope that we can get some fresh blood in "to give the lads a hand" (no sign of that yet) and possibly a little refreshing of the backroom team.

But the thing is so many people never see us getting any points. I don''t know how many times I heard that we''d lose at Palace. And then the same people who were predicting a loss seemed totally disappointed we got a point. I guess the moral here is if you''d be happy with a point before the game then be happy with it after....

[quote user="Hog"]Even if we get 40 and survive, given that our target was an improvement on last season, possibly a top ten finish then Hughton surely has to go? Nobody else would be permitted to spend that much money and fail so miserably surely....[/quote]Staying in the Premier League will be counted as success. Hopes of a top ten finish are just that, hopes.Other clubs will spend the same or more and three will still go down.There are no guarantee''s in the Premier League just as there are none in life.We have been promoted to the top league on 6 occasions, with stays of  2, 6, 3, 9, 1, and so far 3 seasons. We will go down again at some time, who knows when, maybe this year, maybe not.We are a middle size club with an average position of somewhere between 25 and 30 in the English football hierarchy. That fact hasn''t changed and that truth is unpalatable for some.

For anybody who wants to put their money where their mouth is sporting index quote our season points at 37-38.5. Interestingly they quote 5 teams who in there opinion will score less points than us, and 6 teams that will score less than 40.

Ricardo, have you ever tried spread betting? I think you could be very successful, especially in the season points market.

Interesting, Hector. Effectively an outsider''s informed opinion is that 36pts or more should be enough this season to stay up. The Table also shows the gap between top 9 and the rest will be circa 10pts and that any team in the bottom half this season faces relegation concerns and that is why 10 or 11 teams are playing cautious, boring football in trying to survive. In those circumstances, maybe we do have the right man in place.

[quote user="Hector Brockelbank"]For anybody who wants to put their money where their mouth is sporting index quote our season points at 37-38.5. Interestingly they quote 5 teams who in there opinion will score less points than us, and 6 teams that will score less than 40.

Ricardo, have you ever tried spread betting? I think you could be very successful, especially in the season points market.[/quote]No mate, I like to play with facts and figures but after many years of gambling, both punting and bookmaking and treating money as a means to the next bet or lay I decided to abstain. I must say that I feel a lot better for it.

Fair enough. Just with your sound understanding of statistics and probability you sounded like someone who would make a very professional gambler especially if you are disciplined aswell.

I have to say I was surprised you were not involved in ray''s funds. It is for charity. Sure we can''t tempt you into posting one selection a week for 40 weeks. It''s for a very good cause.

Not a gambler either, but to answer the original question the OP posed, I''m confident that the second half of the season performance will be better than that of the first, so yes, I can see us getting more than 40 points by the end of the season.

15 points maximum. Performances are dire. Yes we look solid most of the time with the odd major defensive error but the aim of the game is to get that round thing in the opposition net and we rarely ever look like doing that on a regular basis. The attacking build up is slow, predictable and without any urgency. The keeper rarely has to make more than two difficult saves a game. I''m not sure if it''s the managers one dimensional tactics, if the players aren''t good enough or whether the injuries are really a factor as it''s been the same cr*p for the past 12 months. I hope we can survive and I believe we will just and I''d give Hughton till the end of the season now but unless there''s a drastic improvement in attack and approach between now and the end of the season. I hope there''s a mutual agreement in the summer regardless of what division we are in.

[quote user="Hector Brockelbank"]Fair enough. Just with your sound understanding of statistics and probability you sounded like someone who would make a very professional gambler especially if you are disciplined aswell.

I have to say I was surprised you were not involved in ray''s funds. It is for charity. Sure we can''t tempt you into posting one selection a week for 40 weeks. It''s for a very good cause.[/quote]

I tried it once, but found that when you are a winner the bookies won''t lay you a stiff bet. I got thrown out of a betting shop and told not to come back and when the digital age began I found even the anonymity of the Internet wasn''t cover enough. They just cancel your account.I tried the other side and went into partnership making a book at the dogs and that was ok until my mate did a runner leaving me with an empty bag and £700 to pay out. Not an experience I would recommend to anyone.I have a mate who''s been doing it for years but he bets and lays and makes his money on the margin. He treats it as a full time job but its hard graft for not a great return.

That realy sucks Ricardo.

I didn''t mean to turn this thread into a gambling debate. Was just using sporting index to back up the thoughts of other posters that we may not need to get 40 points to survive. If sporting are correct and we achive the mid point of there spread then we will finish 15th with 38 points. Personally I think we will be safe and will get 40-42 points

[quote user="Hector Brockelbank"]That realy sucks Ricardo.

I didn''t mean to turn this thread into a gambling debate. Was just using sporting index to back up the thoughts of other posters that we may not need to get 40 points to survive. If sporting are correct and we achive the mid point of there spread then we will finish 15th with 38 points. Personally I think we will be safe and will get 40-42 points[/quote]Points will come in the most unlikely places and lost in the same manner. It will happen for us and for other clubs. At the start of the season I was looking at 44 points, now I''m looking at 38. It''s very hard to see any less then 36 and any more than 42. That means we will be in the mix right to the end.The bottom two are already in a position where their points totals after 20 games and survival have become very marginal. Only 4 clubs in the whole history of Premier League football (38 games) have survived with 16 points or less after 20 games. I think WHam are already dead and Sunderland almost gone. They have a number of winnable home games but they may have to win them all. Also Palace won''t get 36 points and I don''t think Cardiff will either (despite the new manager) their next home game v WHam is pivotal. Fulham might be the escapee''s.It''s early to lay my cards down but I think I''ll be more right than wrong

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]We are likely to just survive, which will contextually represent great success.[/quote]My feelings in a nutshell. It''s touch and go but slightly more touch than go[:D]

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]I''ll settle for more ''touch'' than ''go'' at the moment, Ricardo.[/quote]It''s all I''ve got left[;)]

Forty points.? 18 games and 20 points needed.    6 wins and 2 draws - or 5 wins and 5 draws.   Not impossible.   Nine home games-HullNewcastleMan CityTottenhamStokeSunderlandWBALiverpoolArsenalPerhaps four wins there?  Two draws?  Three defeats?   Thats 14 points.Or do we really think we can''t win at home any more?  Early season suggests we can win at home.Nine away matches -EvertonCardiff WestHamAston VillaSouthamptonSwanseaFulhamManUChelseaSurely one win possible amongst that lot and three or four draws?   6-7 points?  Or do we really think that we are going to lose all our away matches?   We haven''t so far this season.I think 40 points is reasonable, maybe more if the team start to gel more, as players become fit and we get the best eleven out there more often.  Its not cloud cuckoo land to suggest it.   Its not going to be easy though and lets be fair, it is going to make for an exciting end to the season - and isn''t excitement what some of you have been craving?