Sign in to follow this  
Haggerdoo

Can anyone see us getting close to 40 points by the end of the season?

With 18 games left and most people already writing off the last 4 games of the season I''m really starting to wonder where we''ll pick up enough points to survive. Home games against Hull, Stoke, Sunderland and West Brom look like our best chances of picking up maximums and away trips to Villa, Fulham, West Ham and Cardiff may yield a few points. But unless we get some players back from injury and a couple of decent signings sharpish I think it''s going to be a nail biter right to the very end.

Yes I really can

I think well win 5 more games and draw a few more

Starting with Hull next up at CR

I also think we will win at least one match that nobody expects us to...

(*puts tin hat on)

I agree Killie. Christmas has been disappointing but that''s only really because of Fulham. But in reality we are three points from 18th and three points from 10th. So despite everything we still have attainable success within reach as well as the much preferred on here impending doom scenario.

Surprisingly one reason to be cheerful is our ability to grind out results away from home in games that our opponents really need to win. We rermain unbeaten away against teams in the bottom half of the table and probably our only really bad away result was at Hull.

I think we will get around 38 points and just scrape safety. I would not regard that as success or a good job done by Hughton.

No, we''re on course for between 37 and 39. Luckily I think that will be enough to survive this year. We can''t afford to take chances though and we should be bringing in a few more players in Jan to get us over the line.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]The board''s complacency will see us down.[/quote]I would never have guessed it.

I don''t think we''ll hit 40 points, I''m basing that on our inability to beat the teams around us with any sort of consistency. Fulham, Palace, those were 2 games we should have set out to win and we definately have the team to win. But we''ve been dire most of this season, and when we have been playing well rarly have we capitalised and come away with the points. We''re too negative, too slow going forwards and have suffered with injuries to key players. I am honestly fearful for our survival this season, based on current form. The teams below us have closed in and right now I don''t fancy us to escape with any wiggle room.

The Times Fink Tank uses long term statistics in its predictions and currently has us finishing 15th on 37.3points based on its algorithms.

To put that in perspective though, it ranks us as the 19th best team in the league and therefore, 15th is overperforming. We have the joint bottom ranked defence and 14th best attack

See more at dectech.co.uk.

So I guess the answer to the OP is no, but it doesn''t matter

No, not now. IMO we are 10 points adrift of the 10th place finish targeted by the board and need at least 4 wins to scrape 39. Given that we have still to play most of the top half at home we are in a false position and are now in serious trouble having failed to get what we needed from our last 3 games against bottom 3/4 sides.

The board must now see that our survival is in jeopardy let alone a top 10 finish and act swiftly. In the last month I have gone from glass half full to half empty and am seriously concerned. I hope the board have a decent replacement for Hughton and friends already lined up.

What concerns me is that we can''t seem to get ahead of the game in terms of the points to games ratio despite some winnable games of late. With those last 4 fixtures you really feel we can''t afford to go into them with others breathing down our neck, we need a bit of a cushion and I''m struggling at present to see where we are going to get bit from. Perhaps the next couple of home games is a chance for 6 points but on current form you have to say its unlikely and we currently don''t look likely to pick up a shock away win at one of the bigger teams.

[quote user="Dr Zeuss"]No, not now. IMO we are 10 points adrift of the 10th place finish targeted by the board and need at least 4 wins to scrape 39. Given that we have still to play most of the top half at home we are in a false position and are now in serious trouble having failed to get what we needed from our last 3 games against bottom 3/4 sides.

The board must now see that our survival is in jeopardy let alone a top 10 finish and act swiftly. In the last month I have gone from glass half full to half empty and am seriously concerned. I hope the board have a decent replacement for Hughton and friends already lined up.[/quote]You really need to do your homework before spouting nonsense.Would that be the same FALSE position for Sunderland who have yet to play 7 of the top 10 AWAY and Cardiff who still have to play  6 of the top 10 AWAY from home.OR perhaps Palace and Fulham who have to play 6 of the top10  at home and 4 AWAY.No it must W Ham who are in the FALSE position having all the top 4 to play away and every team from 5th to 11th to play at home.

It really is quite odd how people can come up with garbage to ''prove'' their point. The simple fact is that we are currently lower than we all want - that is something we must all agree on. But this negative straw clutching is daft. We have pretty-much played the same mix of sides as everyone else: we all have so-called easier and harder sides to play, home and away, and looking at all the fixtures we are really no better or worse off than anyone else.

Can only see us getting around 33/34 points i''m afraid which wont be enough .

i can see us getting 40 but don''t think that will be enough this year, need to start beating these teams around us .

A glance at the lague shows that there are currently 11 teams in the relegation mix, this means that every week teams desperate for points will be playing each other, as the league currently stands this suggests that this season we will require less than 40 points to stay up.......

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]A glance at the lague shows that there are currently 11 teams in the relegation mix, this means that every week teams desperate for points will be playing each other, as the league currently stands this suggests that this season we will require less than 40 points to stay up.......[/quote]been telling you all that for weeks. Glad someone is listening.[:)]

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]36 points will be enough to stay up this season and i reckon we will get 38 to 40[/quote]And perhaps meet a few teams on the beach, to flatter our position again.[;)]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]36 points will be enough to stay up this season and i reckon we will get 38 to 40[/quote]And perhaps meet a few teams on the beach, to flatter our position again.[;)][/quote]Always a possibility but if we carry on in the same form as the first half of the season we will stay up.Lots of teams won''t get 40 points and some won''t even get 30.There will need to be a big change of results when top half play bottom for  36 points not to be safe.

None sense eh! Well the OP asked if we would get 40 and I really don''t see how your wider perspective confirms that we will or we won''t. The simple fact that others won''t doesnt automatically mean that we will so perhaps you need to think before spouting none sense too ?

My second point which was admittedly off the posted point, was that the board has twice publicly stated an aim to finish in the top 10. Perhaps with your wisdom and wider analysis you will explain to us all how that is going to be achieved given that to do that we will need to achieve something like 47 to 49 points to finish in the top 10.

[quote user="ricardo"]37  minimum

42 maximum

Some clubs will do well to get 30 let alone 36.[/quote]

over the last 18 seasons the average number of points the team in 18th position had at the end of the season is 36. (it''s 38.5 for 17th).

This season started off about average (points total wise) and I don''t expect this to change.

[quote user="Dr Zeuss"]None sense eh! Well the OP asked if we would get 40 and I really don''t see how your wider perspective confirms that we will or we won''t. The simple fact that others won''t doesnt automatically mean that we will so perhaps you need to think before spouting none sense too ?

My second point which was admittedly off the posted point, was that the board has twice publicly stated an aim to finish in the top 10. Perhaps with your wisdom and wider analysis you will explain to us all how that is going to be achieved given that to do that we will need to achieve something like 47 to 49 points to finish in the top 10.[/quote]

This is the crazy thing about this season''s PL. We are 3 points away from top half and 3 points clear of the relegation places. So anything could happen. Posters with a tendency for negative thoughts will naturally be drawn to the teams below us. But those with a tendency to be positive will still be looking at top half. There is no such thing as mid-table medriocrity for anyone as yet.