Sign in to follow this  
The Great Wall Of Tettey

When do the players need to stand up and take responsibility?

Hughton draws a fair amout of stick for his defensive tactics, after watching the past few games with the changes he''s made I''m struggling to pass ALL the blame on him. This post isn''t about defending him as hes made some pretty strange tactical decisions but I don''t see a big issue with setting up to not lose as he will get us enough points to be competitive In the division IMO.

Calls for 2 strikers were eventually met but that''s been dictated by the injuries and fitness of our forwards. Elmander has looked better with another striker and he''s done well with hooper. RvW only just back from 13 weeks out has meant it''s been difficult to chop and change as we haven''t really had the options. I''m really looking forward to seeing hooper with RvW but they are both finishers....if they aren''t getting service they aren''t going to score are they.....

The injuries of Bennett and pilks it''s difficult for him to make any wide changes and that''s a pretty big issue for me. Snodgrass has been off the boil for weeks and looked lethargic this season, and i havent seen those mazey runs and charges into the box he has often produced! Redmonds youth is starting to show and he has bags of flare and potential, but people are starting to realise his final ball isnt as productive as it should be for the possession he gets. obviously he will improve as the games go on but if pilks was fit he would undoubtidly be starting on that left side. that would then leave people like redmond able to come on with 20/30 left and really chase a game, and our bench lacks depth at the minute. We need our wide players to come in and contribute with goals/assists and it seems to go a little unnoticed that it has rarely happened this season. Pilks and snodgrass both contributed with 5+ each last year and we miss that.

Defensively we''ve made critical mistakes from a generally decent 85 minutes most games. Admitidly the floodgates opened at man city and liverpool, but Incidents such as Bassong vs Swansea, fers ridiculous push at palace have cost us valuable points from a decent defensive performance.

In a nut shell I just think its not all hughton and some of our players performances just haven''t been up to scratch, with individual mistakes costing valuable points. With a fully fit squad I can only think what might have been!

Good post.Expect it to be ridiculed by some totally ignoring your points and saying its all Hughtons fault.

Hoolahan, Redmond and Snoddy could have all been hooked at half-time yesterday if we had anybody to replace them with.Their input was negligible.

[quote user="Orford65"]Hoolahan, Redmond and Snoddy could have all been hooked at half-time yesterday if we had anybody to replace them with.Their input was negligible.[/quote]Can''t disagree with that.Hoolahan can''t have 2 good games in a row, Snoddy still doesn''t look fit, and Redmond badly needs a game or two rest.

I started this exact thread, around a month ago,Theres only so much Hughton Blaming you can do before you have to realise its the players who arnt pulling their way!

Against United there were two incidents that frustrated me..

1. A simple throw in between Martin and someone. We immediately lost possession and set United on another attack, from our throw in at an attacking stage

2. A overlap pass from Snoddy to Martin. I don''t think he even looked to see that Russell had not even started the run...the ball went out for a throw.

Very frustrating - I know every pass, throw, free kick etc is not going to be right, but these are basic football moves. I sometimes think the effort is not there. Wes is the only person I can think will put 100% effort in, even though I may mis-pass or dribble too far

[quote user="CDMullins"]I started this exact thread, around a month ago,Theres only so much Hughton Blaming you can do before you have to realise its the players who arnt pulling their way![/quote]Fair point but the players are often the first to take the responsibility for poor performances and I believe all but Ruddy have been replaced so far this season after not playing to the standard required from the manager. Taking a quick glance at the squad that played in Hughton''s first game away to Fulham around 18 months ago Holt, Surman, Morison, Tierney, Rudd, Vaughan, Barnett and Lappin (8/18) have faced the chop under our current manager. Interestingly none of these players are plying their trade in the top flight at this current time. Perhaps a sign of the amount of work that Hughton had to try and turn the team into a premier league quality side.