Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Bradley Johnson

Was superb against Man Utd and had another another really good game today. To cap it off he scored a great goal - and with his weaker right foot too. Well played Bradders.

Yep looked good again in atrocious conditions, its a good job, because we are threadbare in midfield.

Easily our best player overall today IMO.

(Not that that''s saying much of course).

He''s a been a decent player for us in general since we came up. I think he''s been badly off form for much of this season, so good to see him getting back up to speed, because when he''s poor he''s very poor, even if he''s always committed.

He has yet again probably been our best midfielder over the course of the season - maybe Howson slightly nicks it up to now this season.

Reality is - he gives away a couple of cheap balls a game but other than that he''s a solid defensive mid who gives the full 100% and his work-rate should allow players like Fer and Howson to excel.

Fer has quality but is so inconsistent it''s ridiculous.

[quote user="hogesar"]He has yet again probably been our best midfielder over the course of the season - maybe Howson slightly nicks it up to now this season.  [/quote]

Howson is miles ahead.

But Johnson has done well recently - after a poor start to the season.

I think that he makes poor passes less now, but that may be due to the fact that he tends to play short square passes, where there is less chance of misdirection. I am not sure what he does positively in a creative build up.

It was good to see him score. I would like to think that he has improved his technique. He covers a lot of ground and gets in good positions to score, and then in the past let himself down by blasting the ball wide or high. If he is learning more precision that''s all to the good.

He is second to none in his effort, covering more ground than most of the team, tackling tenaciously and showing little fear. If his scoring record improves - at present about, what, one shot on target in 10 attempts or more, then we have a new player!

Bradders has had a really good run of games recently and has come in for a lot of unfair criticism recently as I rate him more than Tettey who in my opinion is over rated by some people on here. People who say Tettey is a better passer of the ball than Bradders obviously doesn''t watch them close enough. Tettey always plays the safe option ball no more than 10 yards and almost always sideways. Where as Bradders will try and make something happen by playing forward passes as well as the sideway passes. This is the reason why Tettey''s passing stats look better than Bradders. Bradders does lose concentration sometimes when passing but I would much rather a player in the team who''s going to try and make something happen and sometimes get it right and sometimes not than someone who would very rarely play a forward pass.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="hogesar"]He has yet again probably been our best midfielder over the course of the season - maybe Howson slightly nicks it up to now this season.  [/quote]

Howson is miles ahead.

[/quote]
Howsons technical ability on the ball is superior. His attacking play and movement is better.
Johnson''s better defensively and since we signed the two has been the most consistent of the two. I wouldn''t say miles ahead by any stretch of the imagination.
Not a criticism of Howson, more so i think Johnson is under-rated.

[quote user="Salopian"]I think that he makes poor passes less now, but that may be due to the fact that he tends to play short square passes, where there is less chance of misdirection. I am not sure what he does positively in a creative build up.[/quote]Here''s the problem, Tettey plays a lot of short square passes to close by teammates - he manages nearly a 90% pass success rate, Johnson comes in with just over 75.5%....Johnson is the least accurate passer out of ALL of our regular central midfielders (defensive, attacking or otherwise), with Tettey, Howson and Fer ALL managing above an 83% success rate.This is one of the key reasons why I prefer Tettey to Johnson, as he does all the defensive duties that Johnson does, but doesn''t try to play passes he isn''t technically gifted enough to play and instead makes the sensible pass to a teammate better suited to this - very much like our own bigger and stronger Makelele...

[quote user="hazza9"]Bradders has had a really good run of games recently and has come in for a lot of unfair criticism recently as I rate him more than Tettey who in my opinion is over rated by some people on here. People who say Tettey is a better passer of the ball than Bradders obviously doesn''t watch them close enough. Tettey always plays the safe option ball no more than 10 yards and almost always sideways. Where as Bradders will try and make something happen by playing forward passes as well as the sideway passes. This is the reason why Tettey''s passing stats look better than Bradders. Bradders does lose concentration sometimes when passing but I would much rather a player in the team who''s going to try and make something happen and sometimes get it right and sometimes not than someone who would very rarely play a forward pass.[/quote]This was exactly my view hazza, Tettey used to frustrate the hell out of me by getting the ball and immediately pinging it hard to someone nearby, often too fast to control easily or putting them immediately under pressure. However, after watching the last few games Tettey played, I have to admit either he''s got better or I was  wrong. We''re really missing him ATM.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="GJP"]

Howson is miles ahead.

[/quote]

Howsons technical ability on the ball is superior. His attacking play and movement is better.

Johnson''s better defensively and since we signed the two has been the most consistent of the two. I wouldn''t say miles ahead by any stretch of the imagination.

Not a criticism of Howson, more so i think Johnson is under-rated.

[/quote]

If you don''t think there''s too much difference between Howson and Johnson then it''s probably Howson who is underrated.

Johnson is a competitor but until the last month or so his form this season had been very poor. He''d often looked off the pace and his use of the ball was poor.

Howson has more often than not been the best player on the pitch for us.