Sign in to follow this  
stoke canary

Would LOVE us winning it !!!!

It won''t please some but Lambert is spot on with that assessment.There was a magic about the FA Cup years ago but its long gone now. Most of the lower Prem teams see it as a distraction, something to pick up unwanted injuries in. Fun if you are in the lower leagues but I no longer feel the buzz that used to come on 3rd round day. The Cup has lost it''s sparkle.

Disagree. If we were to win it, it would be the greatest day in the clubs history. Why can''t we have a go at both cup and league? Why is it perceived to be one or the other.

[quote user="JF"]Disagree. If we were to win it, it would be the greatest day in the clubs history. Why can''t we have a go at both cup and league? Why is it perceived to be one or the other.[/quote]

Because we are always knocked out of it..

I agree it has lost some of it''s sparkle but for someone who turns 50 this year too watch Norwich in a FA Cup final,too sing Abide with me with 1000''s of Norwich fans(get goose pimples just typing it)Might get shot down here but I would take Relegation for a FA Cup final !!

[quote user="JF"]Disagree. If we were to win it, it would be the greatest day in the clubs history. Why can''t we have a go at both cup and league? Why is it perceived to be one or the other.[/quote]I was there when we won the League Cup, wonderful day that will live in the memory forever but not so happy a couple of months later when we were relegated. Lower teams winning a cup and getting relegated has happened too many times to make me feel comfortable with the idea of an extended cup run.A shame but that''s my two pence worth. Better off out than in.

[quote user="stoke canary"]I agree it has lost some of it''s sparkle but for someone who turns 50 this year too watch Norwich in a FA Cup final,too sing Abide with me with 1000''s of Norwich fans(get goose pimples just typing it)Might get shot down here but I would take Relegation for a FA Cup final !![/quote]Some would but not me.

stoke canary wrote the following post at 02/01/2014 6:34 PM:

I agree it has lost some of it''s sparkle but for someone who turns 50 this year too watch Norwich in a FA Cup final,too sing Abide with me with 1000''s of Norwich fans(get goose pimples just typing it)Might get shot down here but I would take Relegation for a FA Cup final !!

Certainly not final but winning it, maybe. Promotions and relegations come around, our time in the PL will eventually end and then at some point we will get another promotion. What we have to date never done is win the cup. Wonder what Wigans fans view is on this.

Would I be wrong in saying Norwich and Wigan are the only two top flight clubs to win a cup and be relegated in the same season? If thats the case then the argument that it hampers league progress is flawed. I would be more concerned about the following season and Europa league commitments for our PL position.

[quote user="JF"]Would I be wrong in saying Norwich and Wigan are the only two top flight clubs to win a cup and be relegated in the same season? If thats the case then the argument that it hampers league progress is flawed. I would be more concerned about the following season and Europa league commitments for our PL position.[/quote]You forgot Birmingham

Ah yes Birmingham as well. They havn''t made it back yet and Wigan don''t look likely this season either.

Several have been finalists and subsequently relegated (the double whammy)

Chelsea 1915, Man City 1926, Leicester 1969, Brighton 1983, Middlesboro

1997. The later lost in both the FA and League Cup finals as well as

being relegated (triple whammy)

Spot on,as usual Ricardo. Lambert was only saying what I''m sure many other managers feel.

I was at that same league cup final. And at White Hart Lane in March 1959. But the competition has definitely lost it''s magic in recent years.Yes,we''d all like to be at Wembley singing on the ball City, and all that. But surely we can''t risk any more injuries. Apart from Pilks,E.Bennett and Howson. There''s now Turner and possibly Bassong. I noticed him limping towards the end of yesterday. We haven''t got exactly the strongest squad in the first place

Several have been finalists and subsequently relegated (the double whammy) Chelsea 1915, Man City 1926, Leicester 1969, Brighton 1983, Middlesboro 1997. The later lost in both the FA and League Cup finals as well as being relegated (triple whammy)

Then had to return to Middlesborough, quadruple whammy!

[quote user="JF"]Several have been finalists and subsequently relegated (the double whammy) Chelsea 1915, Man City 1926, Leicester 1969, Brighton 1983, Middlesboro 1997. The later lost in both the FA and League Cup finals as well as being relegated (triple whammy)

Then had to return to Middlesborough, quadruple whammy![/quote]Must have been a real sickener for the fans, hard to put yourself in their shoes and experience that.[:(]It''s the sort of thing Highland Canary would have wet dreams about[:D]

[quote user="JF"]Several have been finalists and subsequently relegated[/quote]And several Clubs have won the double - not least in the days when relatively small first team squads of 17 or 18 players were playing 60 games a season - league, FA Cup including unlimited replays, League Cup including replays & two legged ties, European Cup, Cup Winners Cup & Fairs Cup.I think we should go for it - we''ve really got nothing to lose & a good cup run could turn our season aroundLet''s face we need a spark from somewhere & nothing tried thus far has worked

Once again the Messiah gets it bang on he is a genius he truly is.

Finishing as high as possible in the league is financially important. Why on earth is Hapless risking the wolf on Saturday if he gets injured again in a pointless match It could harm our entire season. Let becchio have the start

Hapless has no idea how to play a cup competition anyway even if we did go for it. Luton is all the evidence you need

If we were in a better spot in the league and no injuries it would be great to give it a go, as it is i suspect i may have forked out £15 to see a tame exit from the cup

The money available for staying in the Prem has killed the relevance of Cup games.

The potential injuries, fatigue and distraction that a cup run offer don''t make crashing out to a Champions League team in the last 16 attractive at all.

[quote user="Fat Nat"]Hapless has no idea how to play a cup competition anyway even if we did go for it. Luton is all the evidence you need[/quote]

Aaaannnd what about the Messiah?  Genius?  Yes, lets think about that for a minute.    0-4 to MK Dons to start with.  Puts out a strong team to beat Burnley and WBA then just when you think we might have a run, puts out a weak team against Leicester.  Brilliant.   Previous year out in first rounds to.....Blackburn and home to............................Leyton Orient.   Yes, he was truly a genius.    

ricardo wrote the following post at 2014-01-02 10:38 PM:

JF wrote:

Disagree. If we were to win it, it would be the greatest day in the clubs history. Why can''t we have a go at both cup and league? Why is it perceived to be one or the other.

I was there when we won the League Cup, wonderful day that will live in the memory forever but not so happy a couple of months later when we were relegated. Lower teams winning a cup and getting relegated has happened too many times to make me feel comfortable with the idea of an extended cup run.

A shame but that''s my two pence worth. Better off out than in.

Ricardo, your crystal ball states we won''t get relegated - so why can''t we win the cup? Where has the confidence gone!!

the itself is a great competition , the way it throws up bizarre results with minnows winning unexpectedly butnorwich shouldnt even be worrying about it, it pays fuq all, and we are in a relegation battle having both the hindrance of an injury hit season and a clueless plank as a managerstay up another 4 or 5 years and get established in the top 10 and then maybe we might have a big enough squad with quality throughout to then think about itdont be clueless, play the kids

I think it plays a role and shouldn''t be fully ignored. It''s the perfect game for Fer to miss and the perfect game for us to try something new to try and get the best out of RVW. A goal on Saturday for him could be the most important thing in our season if it starts him off on a run.

We can have the best of both worlds here. Put out a different team in the FA Cup. A team with a broad sprinkling of our own youth players. The fans can get behind these players and help push for a good old fashioned cup run as a change from booing subs and being disgruntled because we are still only a mid-table premier league team. Sure we would be underdogs, even on Saturday against Fulham, but the magic of the cup and new found enthusiasm from the stands could give the whole club a lift.

But if the youngsters win through then allow them to carry on. Don''t get to the later rounds and play the first team. Same with tickets. Make sure those who go on Saturday get first choice for the remainder of the cup run. Even Wembley should miracles happen.

Says a lot about Lambert''s current mindset.

If I were a Villa fan I''d be annoyed that a) we used to be a club with a realistic chance of winning the cup and now our manager doesn''t even want us to compete in it, and b) that the guy who we brought in to push our ''big'' club forward is solely focussed on nothing but league survival.

JF, not sure about your logic there. Just because a team doesn''t get relegated after winning the FA cup doesn''t mean that it hasn''t negatively impacted their season. If a club was challenging for the title, but dropped off because of cup committments, then it would still be a negative impact on league performance even though they weren''t relegated.

The top top clubs can compete on more than one front comfortably because of the money they can throw at players. Their second teams have still got realy top quality players in, so they can rotate easily.

As for us; I''d take prem survival over an FA cup win. But I''d take finishing 17th and an FA cup win over finishing anywhere between that and the European spots. If we were much more comfortable than we are, and didn''t have so many injuries, I''d be all up for going full out to win it. At the moment, I''d give the youngsters and squad players a go.

"stay up another 4 or 5 years and get established in the top 10"

a false hope I am afraidclubs of our size do not get established in the top ten, for one we will never have the income to retain that level of playerlikewise transfer spending will mostly be in replacing players who have seen better days - as with Holtbeing ''established'' is a mythbar the top seven or eight clubs the rest will simply battle to keep away from relegationsure there will be times when some will finish in the top ten, just as there will be times when established clubs like Bolton will be relegatedbut those outside of that top 7 or 8 will start each season pretty much on the starting line together with no advantage of being established