Sign in to follow this  
YellowNets1901

A Foreign Manager at NCFC

I notice whenever anyone suggests a replacement for Hughton (including me), the replacement suggestion is usually British. I''ve never believed that the foreign managers who were reportedly on our list stood any serious chance of getting the job. I think it was Chris Hughton''s job from the moment Paul Lambert walked out. I think it''s widely known that he was always Plan B incase Lambert walked out, including the summer we were promoted to the Premier League and Lambert had "a wobble".

I wonder whether we''ve got the guts to risk appointing a foreign coach. It''s naturally seen as more of a risk than going British, unless you''re a bigger club who can attract a Jose Mourinho.

Michael Laudrup was a risk when Swansea appointed him. Like us, it was their second season in the Premier League but they still wanted someone who would continue their footballing philosophy, not just a manager who wanted to keep them up. That wasn''t good enough for them. Laudrup has continued Swansea''s success, won them a cup, and is still doing very well for them. He''s rightly talked about whenever some of the bigger jobs come up. He plays attractive football, a blue print laid down at Swansea by Roberto Martinez. Another good foreign manager.

Pochettino at Southampton. I''d never heard of the bloke before he was appointed, but with the help of a fantastic youth academy plus some very decent signings, he''s turned them into a very good football team with lots to look forward to. It''s Pochettino''s belief that "there''s no limit to what his players can achieve". Whereas Chris Hughton (in a Sky interview before the Cardiff home game) believes that it''s his job to "dampen the expectations of the fans and players in terms of what can be achieved". There''s a look at the differences in ambition between the two clubs. We''ve been in the league a year longer than they have too.

Time will tell as to how well OGS does at Cardiff. I have a hunch that he''ll do fine. Nothing amazing, but I think he''ll keep them up, which would be success, and at the same time he''ll play more expansive, attacking football, as promised at his press conference yesterday.

I''m unsure whether we have our fingers on the pulse when it comes to foreign managers. I have no suggestions with regards to who would be a good foreign coach for us, but then that''s not my job. Who on here would''ve suggested Pochettino as a possible for us when Lambert left?

You''d hope the club have looked beyond out of work managers or Championship/League 1 managers as we''ve made our way through tricky periods this season. I think there have been times when Hughton and the team have given the board cause to draw up a list of potential replacements. I just hope that when the day comes and Hughton is sacked (probably not this season), we will look at a manager who wants to improve our style of football, not just keep us in the league at all costs. That''s if dear old Chris Hughton can keep us up this season. I have my doubts. Strong ones.

Before we appointed CH I suggested a shortlist of 3-5 names all of whom were managers from abroad who I thought would be perfect for our club.Oddly enough we''re now apparently being linked with one of them - Guidolin, so I couldn''t be much happier if I tried [:)]

Managers, as with players, require careful research and ''scouting'' out before being appointed. Southampton had been in contact with Pochettino since they were promoted to the Premier League as Cortese, correctly, believed that Adkins wasn''t good enough to take them forward as a club. The Laudrup appointment was a risk and many said Swansea would struggle with him as manager - again Swansea had been keeping an eye on him as soon as people started mentioning Rodgers for bigger jobs (as Norwich had done with Hughton).

I do wonder if Norwich have the wider footballing knowledge to indentify managers from across Europe, for players there is an extensive scouting network, but does such a thing exsist when it comes to managers? I can''t imagine Ewan Chester, who is very much Hughton''s man, is giving McNally tips about who should replace him.

It is inevitable that Norwich will one day have a manager who isn''t British or Irish, but I have it feeling it won''t be someone like Pochettino, but more like Solskjaer - foreign, but well known in the UK.