Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Would relegation be a fair price to pay for Hughton's removal?

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lake district canary"]... It is always a roller coaster at Norwich, but if he stayed on in that scenario and was successful in bringing us back up, he would turn from zero to hero to all of us (apart from those who are never happy).[/quote]
That''s not fair LDC.

I think many of us would quite rightly be unhappy with the guy if he got us relegated, mainly because I certainly do NOT think we''re one of the three worst squads in the league, so falling behind one of them to get relegated would be a bad indictment on how the manager has performed.

With this in mind, I''m certainly wouldn''t be giving huge accolades to a guy who failed to keep us up with arguably our best ever side, just because he managed to bring us back up after his own miserable failure...
[/quote]

Plus half the side here now would have vanished,

My concern with Hughton is that we won''t stay up if we keep him. If he can keep us up, then i''m happy with him until the end of the season when the board should address the situation.

Although he denied it, we were apparently linked with the Udinese coach, so perhaps McNally is stepping up the development of his ''back-up'' options.

I think Hughton is treading on very thin ice again after the dismal christmas campaign. 2 pts is not an acceptable return considering 3 of the teams we have played.

I was surprised the management team was not replaced last Summer. However, all bets are off as to whether the management team will be replaced if we are relegated, as the board should have acted earlier this season. Perhaps, a straight swap with our friends from down the road who may well be looking for a ''premier league'' manager whereas we may well be looking for a ''championship'' manager to take us back up?

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lake district canary"]... It is always a roller coaster at Norwich, but if he stayed on in that scenario and was successful in bringing us back up, he would turn from zero to hero to all of us (apart from those who are never happy).[/quote]That''s not fair LDC. I think many of us would quite rightly be unhappy with the guy if he got us relegated, mainly because I certainly do NOT think we''re one of the three worst squads in the league, so falling behind one of them to get relegated would be a bad indictment on how the manager has performed.With this in mind, I''m certainly wouldn''t be giving huge accolades to a guy who failed to keep us up with arguably our best ever side, just because he managed to bring us back up after his own miserable failure...[/quote]Not fair?  I am just saying what I think will happen in that scenario.   I agree there would be a lot of animosity if we were relegated and Hughton would face a barrage of "unhappiness" because of the team getting relegated - I''m not saying that is wrong.    But.................if the board perceive him still to be the man to get us back up again - and he succeeded - that would go some way to restoring his reputation and we would inevitably forgive him for getting us relegated. 

We are never guaranteed a place in the top division.   Even clubs with supposed super rich owners can''t guarantee premiership survival.  No one can say we should be here or we should be there. Only events decide that.    On past evidence, Hughton has shown that he can keep things together, keep the team on an even keel to bounce back from defeats and keep the points ticking over.    Like it or not, that is a successful recipe for where we are at the moment - but there are fine lines in this division - as seen by the way other teams are struggling.      So if relegation happens, then getting us back would be something to cheer about, surely.  None of us wants to really contemplate going down, but in reality it could happen - so in that situation you would have to ask what is best for the club.

We''ve actually been linked with Guidolin!!!F**k me, what a signing that would be, he''s been on my top three wanted list even since Lambert departed, and is EXACTLY the man who can turn us around to playing better football with the players we have.Whilst he''s denying it, there is often no smoke without fire, so I hope to god that there IS a spark of truth to this and he''s in place by the end of the month!

Hughton is a stabiliser, not someone that will take a club forward. I''m grateful that we are an established PL club, would never have dreamt it after what we have been through.

Newcastle recognised this with CH and acted and air play to them.

Of course I wouldn''t want to go down, that''s daft. But I''d just like to see a new approach being taken. I feel that we have gone stale and buzz is needed.

[quote user="lake district canary"]we would inevitably forgive him for getting us relegated.[/quote]Speak for yourself LDC, I know that I certainly wouldn''t...[quote]We are never guaranteed a place in the top division.   Even clubs with supposed super rich owners can''t guarantee premiership survival.  No one can say we should be here or we should be there. Only events decide that.[/quote]If you honestly believe that we should go down as against to the likes of Palace, Cardiff and Fulham then there really is no point carrying on the debate is there?When we came up under Worthy, it was reasonable to suggest that we''d go back down as we simply didn''t have the squad capable of competing, under Lambert it was a bit different as although many thought we''d struggle to stay up, we had just enough quality (mainly in the earlier half of the season) to stay safe - and being fair BOTH of these sides (and last seasons squad) were worse in quality than the one we have now, so if we can stay up for two years with a worse team than present - WTF would be the excuse for THIS season when we''ve spent much bigger than ever and brought in even more genuine quality???

The boards objective is for continual improvement, this season that means 10th place and we are only 3 points off that position. How on earth could anyone contemplate sacking Hughton when he''s so close to what he''s being asked to do ?

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lake district canary"]if he gets us back up we would inevitably forgive him for getting us relegated.[/quote]Speak for yourself LDC, I know that I certainly wouldn''t...[quote]We are never guaranteed a place in the top division.   Even clubs with supposed super rich owners can''t guarantee premiership survival.  No one can say we should be here or we should be there. Only events decide that.[/quote]If you honestly believe that we should go down as against to the likes of Palace, Cardiff and Fulham then there really is no point carrying on the debate is there? When we came up under Worthy, it was reasonable to suggest that we''d go back down as we simply didn''t have the squad capable of competing, under Lambert it was a bit different as although many thought we''d struggle to stay up, we had just enough quality (mainly in the earlier half of the season) to stay safe - and being fair BOTH of these sides (and last seasons squad) were worse in quality than the one we have now, so if we can stay up for two years with a worse team than present - WTF would be the excuse for THIS season when we''ve spent much bigger than ever and brought in even more genuine quality???[/quote]We have spent a lot, but Hooper and RVW have both spent quite a while each being injured.  Tettey injured so Johnson plays more. Benno, Pilks out.   The squad is not as strong as you think.   You dismiss Palace, Cardiff and Fulham as if they are the dregs of the league, but surely we have learned by now that any team can stay in the division if they stay positive and competitive? 

[quote user="lake district canary"]You dismiss Palace, Cardiff and Fulham as if they are the dregs of the league, but surely we have learned by now that any team can stay in the division if they stay positive and competitive?[/quote]You mean the same Fulham that have been dire all season, got 4 spanked past them by both Everton and Man City, but then BEAT us only to capitulate 6-0 to Hull the week after...?And is that the same Cardiff that had won ONE in their last SEVEN games before coming to us at HOME and getting a 0-0 draw...?Also, let''s not forget the excellent Palace, who spent a club record amount on superstar Dwight Gayle who''s managed an impressive 3in 17 for them this season, 1 behind the misfiring Chamakh who went for a 1 in 12 game spell until recently...?I haven''t even mentioned West Ham or Sunderland either (of which the latter have been truly awful in 90% of their games)...If we can''t stay positive and competitive with the players that we have, then questions need to be asked why, and I think a large chunk of that has to fall at the manager''s feet because of the way he sets them up to play....

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lake district canary"]You dismiss Palace, Cardiff and Fulham as if they are the dregs of the league, but surely we have learned by now that any team can stay in the division if they stay positive and competitive?[/quote]You mean the same Fulham that have been dire all season, got 4 spanked past them by both Everton and Man City, but then BEAT us only to capitulate 6-0 to Hull the week after...?And is that the same Cardiff that had won ONE in their last SEVEN games before coming to us at HOME and getting a 0-0 draw...?Also, let''s not forget the excellent Palace, who spent a club record amount on superstar Dwight Gayle who''s managed an impressive 3in 17 for them this season, 1 behind the misfiring Chamakh who went for a 1 in 12 game spell until recently...?I haven''t even mentioned West Ham or Sunderland either (of which the latter have been truly awful in 90% of their games)...If we can''t stay positive and competitive with the players that we have, then questions need to be asked why, and I think a large chunk of that has to fall at the manager''s feet because of the way he sets them up to play....[/quote]Fulham - bogey club who we never beat, no excuses we should have won but every club has a bogey team.Cardiff  - same team who have been notoriously defensive away from home, and who took Arsenal to 85ish minutes before conceding (and people want Malky!!!) we were just plain unlucky that day.Palace - we took 4 points off them, pretty good going I''d say.West Ham and Sunderland - beat one at home, drew against the other away, not happy with that?

"Careful Indy....you''re not allowed to have any expectation to beat anyone!

It''s the premier league after all! "

The bottom half of the league have won 43 games out of the first 190.

That''s a win average of around 23 per cent.

On that basis, not expecting to win every, or indeed most games is a realistic expectation.

[quote user="RvW 4 year contract"]I strongly believe that there is a big chance that Hughton will take us down.

Some supporters appear to be happy with that possibility though.[/quote]
Thats a pretty absurd notion, of course no one would be happy with relegation.

Too many of you are making up something to argue against. I was talking about the people who say they "think Hughton will keep us up but want him gone". Obviously if you think we''ll get relegated without a change then it''s a no-brainer. But for those who think Hughton will keep us up relegation must be a gamble they''re willing to take.