Sign in to follow this  
RuelFox

Nathan Redmond

This is not a criticism of him has he has been a bargain, but after starting the season with a bang and so much promise he has fizzeld out a bit in the last month or so.

Its a shame Pilkington is not fit to provide competition as Snodgrass/Redmond at the moment are getting in by default.

It''s a shame Pilkington is not fit so that Redmond can play on the right where he is more dangerous and where he creates more than we get at the moment.

I doubt Hughton expected Redmond to be playing such a key role in our season this year, but his hand has been forced a little with injury.He has bags of promise, and is constantly beating players which is exciting to watch. He needs to improve his end product though. At the moment, he''d make a great Rugby goal-kicker.

Had everyone have been fit he wouldn''t have played as many games as he would''ve.

I think that''s part of the reason he''s flagging slightly. Great player but prob needs to be used a bit bit sparingly at this stage of his development.

I like Redmond a lot. Every time he gets the ball I get all excited. Its great to have a player who isn''t afraid to take on defenders. He is still very young and has time to improve on his game. I think he has done very well considering the step up in class and the pressure of being effectively the only first choice winger for a period of the season.

(enough of the postive stuff: Hootun out so we can all be just like Wiz!)

He is 19, and if he had been waltzing around defences 100% of the time , we would have paid X times as much, so like you say, a bargain. We were paying for potential.

For me, he can do stuff that no other player can do in our team, and is exciting to watch him, terrorize defenders.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]It''s a shame Pilkington is not fit so that Redmond can play on the right where he is more dangerous and where he creates more than we get at the moment.[/quote]Certainly worth looking at considering how ineffective Snoddy has looked this season...I''d even be tempted to play Olsson on the left, Redmond on the right and bring Garrido back in behind Olsson at the minute...

I would certainly be tempted to play Ollson and Garrido down the left, Ollsson offers a lot going forward and I think Garrido would be a bit more solid behind him! possibly we will see this in the cup game.

Olsson is best at overwhelming the opposition right back by doubling up the threat from full back due to his high energy rates. He''d lose this if he was the main Left Winger (think Gibbs at LM for us).

For me, Redmond is one of the best dribblers in the league, but his end product has been pretty poor most of the time, it''s nerves and inexperience i think and he''s still learning our players runs. I think we have a future England and Champions league player on our hands, we now need to nurture him well. Note how Sterling''s end product has picked up recently.

maybe if he was left out on the right wing where hes clearly more comfortable (and much better than one trick snodgrass) city might actually score some fkn goals

is he poor now or are we just expecting too much and looking for problems?

His game has matured already, with much improved defensive work. His creative work remains hit and miss only for option selection, however he did little wrong against palace for example, where he was starved of the ball by the woeful passing from both full backs and the central midfielders, which affected snoddy and the strikers on the other flank too.

I agree with CUSDP, he has played far more games than expected due to our extensive injuries, and while he may be drained he remains a quality force. A rest will do him good but this drip drip criticism is unwarranted on the whole.

Suggestions of pushing Olsson forward are well wide of the mark; olssons cross completion is woeful and redmond even tired remains the better option.

This is a selection the manager is getting right - dont make him make a mistake as fans did with going 442!!!

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"] Suggestions of pushing Olsson forward are well wide of the mark; olssons cross completion is woeful and redmond even tired remains the better option.  [/quote]

I agree.

And I also think Olsson has been lucky to escape his fair share of criticism for his often poor end product, whether it''s a final ball or a shot.

It''s an area of his game he needs to improve on. As does Redmond.

In truth I suggested using Olsson that way purely as a means of getting Snoddy to realise that he can''t take his place for granted and that he needs to start performing again more consistently if he wants a game.If we had a fully fit Pilks he''d be my first choice on the left anyway (with Redmond covering if needed), leaving Redmond and Snoddy (even Benno) to fight it out on the right side.

I do like young Nathan, he just needs to compose himself when he gets into a goal scoring position - or is delivering a decent cross in the final third of the opposition''s half.....

He can only improve with decent coaching......Which is a bit of an oxymoron - considering our current coaching trio at the helm....  

They''ve pretty much coached him into his senior career up to the point where he''s mentioned by Hodgson. He even followed those coaches from club to club...

I''ve seen an improvement in his defensive responsibilities already, now he needs and end product and he''d be a £20m player.

I also agree he needs a rest, playing every game in the PL is a lot for a 19 year old. Look what happened to Sterling last season, he''s now back to playing well but the load took it''s toll last season.