Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

so which side would you swap with?

"will do" - future tense

"has done" - past tense

But since you ask, sacking Pardew who lead Southampton to the verge of the play offs after starting on -10 was pretty stupid. Pardew had a 53% win rating at Southampton, better than any of his other managerial roles. Appointing Adkins worked out but that was a gamble that paid off after Pardew had brought in the likes of Lambert, Fonte and Puncheon.

I''m not saying they haven''t done well or that Cortese hasn''t done a good job - it is just my view that he looks like another chairman with a taste for gambles and knee jerk decisions so i''ll be interested to see what he does when things aren''t going so great for them.

Also, given OUR current position rather than Southamptons - i.e. not doing well on the pitch - i''d be a lot more nervous to have Cortese in the board room right now than McNally.

The only team outside of the usual big 7 I might consider swapping with are Newcastle, who do have a quality squad which is at a level above the teams from 9th to 20th. On the other hand they do, however, have a nutter as the director of football and it seems like self-destruction could be around the corner. From Southampton in 9th down to Sunderland I wouldn''t swap with anybody.For all the talk about their free-flowing football, Swansea are one point ahead of us and are hardly setting the world alight this season. Southampton are having a good season, but I think we have the potential to perform as well as them. The reality is that everyone from 8th to 20th has a chance of being relegated and a chance of getting into Europe - it just so happens that Southampton are doing well this season, but we''ve seen Bolton, Reading, Wigan and Ipsw*ch finish in the top half before dropping out of the division. Outside of the top 7 the margins are fine between a good season and talk of Europe and a poor season with an ugly fight to stay in the league. This season could have been better for us but we have lots of potential which we haven''t seen the best of and are well placed to stay up with a talented squad and sensible staff and owners above them. I wouldn''t swap with any of the clubs that are a similar size to us.

[quote user="a1canary"]

"will do" - future tense

"has done" - past tense

But since you ask, sacking Pardew who lead Southampton to the verge of the play offs after starting on -10 was pretty stupid. Pardew had a 53% win rating at Southampton, better than any of his other managerial roles. Appointing Adkins worked out but that was a gamble that paid off after Pardew had brought in the likes of Lambert, Fonte and Puncheon.

I''m not saying they haven''t done well or that Cortese hasn''t done a good job - it is just my view that he looks like another chairman with a taste for gambles and knee jerk decisions so i''ll be interested to see what he does when things aren''t going so great for them.

[/quote]

So you are basing your whole opinion on the age old idea of ''he looks like a wrong''un''?

Pardew was told he''d be gone if Southampton didn''t finish within 10 points of the automatic promotion spots or Norwich and Charlton (the other clubs relegated along with Southampton) as Southampton had spent more than double any team in the league on transfers and wages that season. Southampton finished 11 points behind Charlton and 22 points behind Norwich.

The grass is always greener, since Swansea and Norwich arrived in the PL, Swansea have only won one more game than us.

It''s a very tight league in terms of relegation and when you consider a couple of good results could move us up 5 places you begin to realise that every club from Hull down is in a similar boat to us.

I''m just grateful to be in January not in the relegation zone and with a little bit of breathing space.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="a1canary"]

"will do" - future tense

"has done" - past tense

[/quote]

So you are basing your whole opinion on the age old idea of ''he looks like a wrong''un''?

Pardew was told he''d be gone if Southampton didn''t finish within 10 points of the automatic promotion spots or Norwich and Charlton (the other clubs relegated along with Southampton) as Southampton had spent more than double any team in the league on transfers and wages that season. Southampton finished 11 points behind Charlton and 22 points behind Norwich.

[/quote]

I bet there were people on here saying they''d finish above us too, just like when ''arry took over at QPR...

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="a1canary"]

"will do" - future tense

"has done" - past tense

[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s a hunch, i agree. No need to have just for expressing that.

It would take very very little at the moment for us to swap places with Southampton - this time next year, we could easily be the ones doing what WBA did last year, and Southampton could be the ones struggling. All i''m saying is, let''s see what happens when the heat is on them.

I will endeavour and no doubt fail to remember to dig this post up when the time comes and they''re the ones at the wrong end of the table.