Sign in to follow this  
Canary Poirot

Will we take the FA Cup seriously this season?

Ever since Man Utd pulled out of the FA Cup to play in the world club championship in Brazil about 10 years ago it has become fashionable for managers of lesser sides to take cup competitions less seriously than in days gone by, stressing the importance of league survival. So really I was wondering what we fans think? Do you think Hughton and Norwich think Premiership survival is now paramount and the cup is a meaningless distraction we can ill afford to avoid injuries/suspensions? Last season''s abysmal effort against Luton attests that Hughton isn''t exactly going to go all out in the cup.

I actually do think it is a shame though if we don''t take the FA Cup seriously. Being a cup team is probably the best we can hope for under the current set up in the Premiership where money rules. But if all we aspire to is to simply survive in the Premiership then maybe we won''t ever even be a cup team. Ferguson in his autobiography makes the case for teams being cup teams. I really think we should push hard to do well, a nice draw and it could open up for us.

Give the 4th champions league position to the cup winners, then we will see a return of the Fa cup being taken seriously. Just the winners, if the team that wins it has already qualified for the CL then it goes back to 4th place. I think they are doing something similar for the europa league soon, where the winners get Champions league entry the following season.

Meant to add that no I don''t believe we will and neither will Fulham.

Champions League??

They''ll have to up the old prize money a bit to make that an incentive.

Feck the chamions league...

I hope not.We field a young team, go down to a brave 1-2 defeat with boys showing enormous promise.No injuries.On to Everton.Ricky prays let it be oh Lord.

I want us to beat Fulham tomorrow......they''re our bogey team don''t ya know?

I want us to progress in the FA Cup.....I''d love to see us win it......Watch the apathetic clamour for tickets if we ever reach the final at Wemberleeeee!

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

I want us to progress in the FA Cup.....I''d love to see us win it......Watch the apathetic clamour for tickets if we ever reach the final at Wemberleeeee!

[/quote]Do the apathetic clamour, Mello?Or more likely do they just not give a f*&k[:)]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

Do the apathetic clamour, Mello?

Or more likely do they just not give a f*&k[:)]
[/quote]

In my personal opinion, those that purport that they don''t give a fug, will give a fug if we do reach the Final......or even the Quarter or Semi-final for that matter.....

But.....only if we take it seriously.....

Would we swap places with Wigan. Shiny cup in the cabinet but mid championship forward?

I wouldn''t. Not while the competition is second rate.

So despite what Hoots says we will not take it seriously.

Mello Yello wrote the following post at 03/01/2014 7:45 PM:

I want us to progress in the FA Cup.....I''d love to see us win it......Watch the apathetic clamour for tickets if we ever reach the final at Wemberleeeee!

So do I mate! I havnt forked out my £15 in the hope I see us defeated!

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]Would we swap places with Wigan. Shiny cup in the cabinet but mid championship forward?

So despite what Hoots says we will not take it seriously.[/quote]

But why is the FA Cup considered second rate? 25 years ago it was a massive competition with a glorious history. I was distraught when we lost to Sunderland in the semi-final in 1993. I still want us to make a run, I can''t even remember the last time we made the quarter finals of the FA Cup. Yet now the FA Cup is apparently second rate. Did Man Utd really kill the FA Cup off by not competing that season?

I''m not taking it seriously, personally I''m turning up to the game tomorrow dressed as Batman with a top hat.Think we should change the league cup to only include sides from Championship downwards, increase the prize money for winning the FA Cup, withdraw the qualification to the vacuous and pointless Thursday night Europa-mini League for winning it and then the FA Cup may regain some of it''s credentials

Holtcantshoot wrote the following post at 03/01/2014 8:40 PM:

I''m not taking it seriously, personally I''m turning up to the game tomorrow dressed as Batman with a top hat.

Bit extreme that, will you be protesting on top of the Jarrold stand?

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

Do the apathetic clamour, Mello?

Or more likely do they just not give a f*&k[:)]
[/quote]

Incidentally, I''ll be in attendance for the game tomorrow as I love the FA Cup - and hopefully we''ll see the ''fringe'' and ''benchers'' given an opportunity to show their worth......Will you be in attendance Ricardo?......If you are attending, I''d call that hypocrisy....

[quote user="Canary Poirot"]

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]Would we swap places with Wigan. Shiny cup in the cabinet but mid championship forward?

So despite what Hoots says we will not take it seriously.[/quote]

But why is the FA Cup considered second rate? 25 years ago it was a massive competition with a glorious history. I was distraught when we lost to Sunderland in the semi-final in 1993. I still want us to make a run, I can''t even remember the last time we made the quarter finals of the FA Cup. Yet now the FA Cup is apparently second rate. Did Man Utd really kill the FA Cup off by not competing that season?

[/quote]
I think that 25 years ago it was still seen as a way of making the club some extra money though. Getting a tie away to a big club could bring you a tidy sum. Now with sky money that has gone, and with the massive amount of money to be made by staying in the premiership, a lot of clubs view it as an unwelcome distraction.

Sussexyellow wrote:

Would we swap places with Wigan. Shiny cup in the cabinet but mid championship forward? I wouldn''t. Not while the competition is second rate. So despite what Hoots says we will not take it seriously.

Canary Poirot replied:

Because Poirot the monetary reward for a place or two in the premier league is far greater than that for winning the cup.

Unfortunately this is now a money dominated business. The casualty being the decline of a truly great competition. I am not condoning it, it is just the way it is.

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]Do the apathetic clamour, Mello?Or more likely do they just not give a f*&k[:)][/quote]

Incidentally, I''ll be in attendance for the game tomorrow as I love the FA Cup - and hopefully we''ll see the ''fringe'' and ''benchers'' given an opportunity to show their worth......Will you be in attendance Ricardo?......If you are attending, I''d call that hypocrisy....

[/quote]Automatic ticket for cup matches already paid for before Xmas. Only a tenner for us old timers (luv it)[:D]Even with a long term bad cough and 4 visits to the quack plus one out of hours centre visit and one to the chest clinic for X Ray, Ricky will still be there. Neither floods, earthquakes or guaranteed beatings by bogey teams have ever kept me away.Nor will they until they nail that lid downOTBC

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]One minute quicker on the button than me Morty![/quote]
Great minds and all that[Y]