Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

The Bottom Twelve

A post from Glovey about us being not being competetive against the teams around us didn''t ring true to me. So with some spare time today I took a look. Just as I suspected the claim was just more old guff. Our problem is we are not competetive so far against the top 8. A home point against Everton is all we''ve managed. But we do have home games against Spurs and Newcastle to come.

Anyway, here''s the league table made from the games played between the bottom twelve. (Southampton downwards).

Southampton 6 3 2 18 7 21 11
Norwich 5 4 3 11 7 19 4
Fulham 6 1 5 15 19 19 -4
Swansea 4 5 3 16 10 17 6
Hull 4 5 2 13 8 17 5
Stoke 4 5 2 11 7 17 4
Aston Villa 4 5 3 11 10 17 1
C. Palace 5 1 6 10 14 16 -4
WBA 3 5 4 12 13 14 -1
Cardiff 3 5 4 7 13 14 -6
West Ham 2 5 5 10 11 11 -1
Sunderland 0 5 7 4 17 5 -13

One less home game against those teams in the second half of the season. So probably less than 19 points will be accrued.

So to survive we need to pick up a few against the top teams.

But quite a contrast from last season when our record against the top 6 was surprisingly good.

OTBC

Once again you completely miss the point obviously football is only a matter of points to you.

The only team we have dominated in a full game this season was Cardiff, even then they created the only clear cut chance of the game.

do you watch our games on teletext ?

That''s where I think our problem lies Sussex. We have been totally uncompetetive in most of the games against the top 8. Just one win would have seen us challenging top half. And whilst we played well in a few of those games we haven''t picked up any points. Sunderland have pikcked up the majority of their points against the top 8 and they''re still bottom!

Anyway, this isn''t meant to suggest we will stay up or go down. It just shows beyond doubt that we are competetive amongst our peers.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]Once again you completely miss the point obviously football is only a matter of points to you.

The only team we have dominated in a full game this season was Cardiff, even then they created the only clear cut chance of the game.

do you watch our games on teletext ?[/quote]

First you say you just want us to be competetive now what are you saying?

If I watched football with you I''d lose the will to live. Reading your posts is bad enough. Highland''s got an excuse, he''s a binner!

If we had been capable of regularly dominating these sides we wouldn''t be amongst them.

There is not much to chose between the lot of us. The ability get such results is vital.

No team dominates the opposition for 90 minutes. Every team has a period in the game when they are in the ascendancy.

I think KG (amongst others) applies different standards to NCFC compared to the opposition. Most fans of most teams do it.

Doesn''t make it any more rational or helpful though.

For balance, if there was a league table for games against everyone above Southampton, presumably we''d be bottom. That would fit far more agendas.

This will not go down well, but surely these are the teams we should be competing with, i''ll be told I have no ambiton, but we are in a different league to the top 8 and are not able to compete...simples!

OK. Sunderloand are competing with them. They beat Newcastle, Man City and Everton. But nobody else. Guess where they are...

Don''t keep ragging KG, Nigel, he''s reached the dreaded supporting cross roads. He needs an arm round him else he will be off down the wrong road.And stop convincing people with the facts, they don''t like being shown they are wrong.In any event facts figures and predictions are my job.[:D]

Think your post may have had the opposite desired effect on me Nutty.

Whilst we have been dissaponting, result or performance wise against a number of lower sides, the stats suggest it''s not too bad. Just disappointing not beating Cardiff, losing to Fulham two days before they lose 6-0 to Hull. Losing to 10 Man Hull. Terrible second half against Palace/first half against West ham etc. It''s still acceptable as we have the second best record against the bottom 12 in the bottom 12.

But one point against the top eight. One. That''s poor.

Last season, in all bar I think four games against the same teams less Newcastle, we were getting results or putting in valiant performances. Enough decent performances to mean we got result. But this season we were non existent against Lpool & Man.C, pretty poor against Spurs. Let silly mistakes creep in at vital moments against Arsenal and Chelsea and then failed to capitalise on dominating Utd.

Of course if we pick up 2/3 shock wins against these sides second half of the season it won''t be dissimilar to the last, as it was mostly first half of the season we got the results, and then he last day. But it certainly isn''t helping anything at all at the moment.

There was no desired effect buddy. This is not an attempt to say we''ll stay up or go down. It was just a lot of the guff about us compared to our peers didn''t ring true to me. I know what I see and it wasn''t what was being said. So I looked it up. And what I thought was right. We are doing very well against our peers.

If we''d picked up a couple more points against the top 8 things would look good wouldn''t they? But of course this could all turn on it''s head in the second half of the season. The only league table that counts is the one when we''ve all played 38 games. But whilst that''s still in the future the only certainty is the past. Anything else is no more than a guess..