Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Do you have faith in Hughton to keep us up?

I was thinking about Stoke and Tony Pulis - a manager who undoubtedly played effective football, but which the fans hated. I personally think Hughton is different, I dont see Hughton''s approach or tactics as particularly effective, but Stokes undoubtedly were, yet the fans were unhappy with surviving every year, they wanted more from their team. Taking survival as a minimum achievement he was very successful (forget Europe and the cup final). Looking at some of the recent threads about Hughton going and relegation risk etc, I thought a simple and specific thread might be in order.

Regardless of the brand of football, the entertainment value or whether you want him out - Specific question - Do you think we will stay up with Hughton? And if your vote is yes, also - is staying up enough, or do you want more?

I do not think CH wil get us relegated and staying up is enough, there is not much more to aim for.

I do want a more attractive playing style, but not at the expense of relegation; we are well placed considering both the prem inexperience and injuries so far this season; this squad will perform best next year. Be patient with them

I have faith in the board to know. I also have no faith in the same people who always want someone out when they''re disappointed by results. So bearing that in mind I have faith in..

The board

Management team

Players.

Add to that I have faith that we will improve as players get fit. I have faith that we''ll end the season pushing for top half and I have faith that RVW will prove his worth and not be the flop he is beginning to be described on here. I also have faith that next season we will improve the squad still further. 

I also have faith in the academy and believe Ricky Martin''s team will produce real talent and faith that when the time is right the board will appoint a successor to Hughton who will continue the club''s progress.

And if that''s looking at things through yellow and green glasses then that''s fine too because I''m a supporter and would never don the blue & white ones.

Me personally, I think a lot of the football we play is ineffective. The defensive solidity that was refreshing to see last year seems to have disappeared, yet all the difficulties scoring remain. Whether this means we will be relegated Im not sure. I thought it was 50/50 last season, I think its 50/50 this season. I think we were fortunate to survive last season, we were in more danger than our final league position suggested. Whether fortune will favour us or not this season Im not sure. I certainly dont think relegation is a certainty with Hughton, but if we do stay up I will feel it is after a season of limping along, I dont really have faith in his tactics or ability to change a game, though I am very happy with the players he has signed. The ineffectiveness and lack of cohesion worries me. Im 50/50 on whether we will stay up or not. I do think another manager could be doing a better job

If you put any success down to luck or good fortune then it''s unlikely you''d believe it could be repeated. However if you believe the same sucesses were earned and deserved then you can see them being repeated.

No, I have no faith in Hughton to keep us up.However, I have faith in Fulham, Sunderland and West Ham to be even worse than us over the season and finish below us.

we are a solid 10th-14th team in the prem in our third year, ask this in about 2 years. we are on the up no matter what some people think.

No, I don''t have faith in Hughton''s ability to keep Norwich in this league.  But right now there are at least nine other teams who are in the mix for getting relegated, so the odds of staying up are still favourable.Of course, one or two key signings in January could trigger a bit more consistency from the team - particularly in the goal scoring department. A player who could unlock the goalscoring potential in RVW could be worth his weight in gold.  Getting that first goal in a game is invaluable for the way Hughton sets up his team.When Norwich have reached crisis points, such as the home games against West Ham and Palace, Hughton''s side has produced results though.  However, it bothers me that the team need that level of external pressure to push for wins.  There was no such desire against Fulham on Boxing Day.

I have faith in Delia and Michael. Having taken over a debt laden club, getting promoted to the Prem followed by relegation to the Third Division and then back to the Prem again, there can''t be any other club owners with more experience and knowledge of the game than them. They more than anyone will know the pitfalls and problems relegation would bring, and I don''t believe they would let it happen. If they believe Chris Hughton is good enough for the job then I''m happy to support them and him.Let''s not forget, most of the people who want Hughton out, also wanted Delia and Michael out too.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]. I thought it was 50/50 last season, I think its 50/50 this season. I think we were fortunate to survive last season, we were in more danger than our final league position suggested. [/quote]

Why do people keep peddiling this nonsense........in reality we were much safer than anyone thought last year and had already picked up enough points to survive with four games to go?

We have months of this whinging to go before May. Make that years coz we are never likely to be 100% safe.

Btw - yes I think we will stay up

Just posted this on another thread. Relevant for this one too:

If we finish up in say 16th or 17th place I would expect Hughton to be released from his contract at the end of the season and for McNallt etc to rethink things in the summer.

Ironically, if we were to finish in the bottom three, I think Hughton would keep his job, and as result, be more comfortable as a manager in the league below.

So Lapps you think the reason we are in the Prem is because of Delia and Michael and this is due to their experience and knowledge of the game etc etc.

I presume they were aware the pitfalls and problems that relegation would bring when we were relegated twice before. It didn''t work then!

I am not wanting Delia and Michael to try and avoid relegation, I want Mr Bowkett and Mr McNally to do that.

I must add that I think they are fantastic genuine supporters but it simply doesn''t warrant this evangelical worshipping which I find embarrassing.

I''ll get my coat

I think that we will stay up because there are at least three teams worse than us, I have no faith in Houghton. I also get little pleasure in the type of football that we play, we need a manager that has some imagination and balls! I''d love to see Hoddle here

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]Just posted this on another thread. Relevant for this one too:

If we finish up in say 16th or 17th place I would expect Hughton to be released from his contract at the end of the season and for McNallt etc to rethink things in the summer.

Ironically, if we were to finish in the bottom three, I think Hughton would keep his job, and as result, be more comfortable as a manager in the league below.[/quote]

If he keeps it to the end of the season, which is more likely than not, he will still be here in August. He will have done his job and there will be no cause for a rethink. Relegation might provoke calls for a change but even then I suspect there will be no change.At the moment Hughton is 7-1 for next manager to be sacked. I wouldn''t bet that at 33''s. Big Sam looks nailed on to me.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]No, I have no faith in Hughton to keep us up.However, I have faith in Fulham, Sunderland and West Ham to be even worse than us over the season and finish below us.[/quote]

This is basically my position also. I have zero faith in Hughton. But I believe we''ll stay up because other teams are marginally worse than ours. A better manager than Hughton would in my opinion have us up with Southampton comfortably in mid table playing attractive football with players believing that they can qualify for European football, even if it is a bit far fetched (Rickie Lambert was interviewed by Sky and commented as such. Clearly someone had made him believe that was possible - and whomever it was wasn''t going around telling him how great the opposition are before every game).

No faith at all.  Cancelling a supporters bash before a match against WBA might have been enough to give him a kick up the backside and to set a team up to actually win a match, but doubt it would have the same effect this season before we take on Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal.Furthermore, with the top of the table so tight this season, I don''t believe we''ll be taking on a team like Man City who were already on the beach last season.Act now, or look forward to a season in the Championship.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]So Lapps you think the reason we are in the Prem is because of Delia and Michael and this is due to their experience and knowledge of the game etc etc.

I presume they were aware the pitfalls and problems that relegation would bring when we were relegated twice before. It didn''t work then!

I am not wanting Delia and Michael to try and avoid relegation, I want Mr Bowkett and Mr McNally to do that.

I must add that I think they are fantastic genuine supporters but it simply doesn''t warrant this evangelical worshipping which I find embarrassing.

I''ll get my coat[/quote]No "evangelical worshipping" Bury, just respect for what they''ve achieved for us and the experience they gained when we were relegated before, which makes me believe they won''t let it happen again. I believe they will have the final say on whether Hughton stays or goes (along with advice from Bowkett and McNally) but their decision will be the right one for the club. They won''t be influenced by a few "Hughton Outers" on here. [;)]

[quote user="lappinitup"]I believe they will have the final say on whether Hughton stays or goes (along with advice from Bowkett and McNally) but their decision will be the right one for the club. They won''t be influenced by a few "Hughton Outers" on here. [;)][/quote]Following a chat I had with MWJ''s back in April of last year, I''m fairly certain that if he had his say Hughton would have been well gone by then, let alone now!

[quote user="Alfie54"]I think that we will stay up because there are at least three teams worse than us, I have no faith in Houghton. [/quote]

There are at least three posters on this thread that say this and several others on other threads.      What goes on in people''s minds?  Last season, were we the 11th best team or the 9th worst team?   Genuine question.

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]Just posted this on another thread. Relevant for this one too:

Ironically, if we were to finish in the bottom three, I think Hughton would keep his job, and as result, be more comfortable as a manager in the league below.[/quote]

Hughton''s contract was for three years. You can only release from a contract if both parties agree. If you sack, you have to compensate.

The degree of importance of a manager and dismissal of other factors is over the top. Alan Pardew and Newcastle finished 16th last season. This year they''re strong top ten. No managerial change.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]Following a chat I had with MWJ''s back in April of last year, I''m fairly certain that if he had his say Hughton would have been well gone by then, let alone now![/quote]I can''t argue with that Matt having never spoken to him myself. MWJ, a Hughton Outer, who''d have thunk it? [:)]

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="lappinitup"]I believe they will have the final say on whether Hughton stays or goes (along with advice from Bowkett and McNally) but their decision will be the right one for the club. They won''t be influenced by a few "Hughton Outers" on here. [;)][/quote]Following a chat I had with MWJ''s back in April of last year, I''m fairly certain that if he had his say Hughton would have been well gone by then, let alone now![/quote]

Bump into him at a Belgian market did you?

Fan of the Year lol.

Not that i''m a current massive fan of Hughton''s i do believe the squad is capable of gaining enough points to stay up. If that happens, he doesn''t deserve to be sacked.

NO...if we manage to survive the season , it will be despite Hughton ,, not because of him .

He is no Tony Pulis !!! Whatever you think of the tactics that Pulis deployed to keep Stoke in the EPL , at least he had a plan and a tactic ,,, sadly , Hughton appears to have neither and NCFC lurch from one drama to another under his stewardship.

[quote user="Warren Hill"]Bump into him at a Belgian market did you?

Fan of the Year lol.[/quote]Was much closer to home at a non-football event in London actually.