Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

If you could have ANY manager in charge who would it be?

Nothing to do with Hughton, nothing to do with reality. If you could appoint any manager at all, who would you choose and why? SAF for his track record? Gullit for his sexy football? Guardiola? Total realms of fantasy, but which manager woud you go for?

Obviously SAF. He is probably the greatest manager of the last 30 years. He was successful at all clubs he took over at, even East Sterling and St Mirren. But even with him in charge the best we could probably hope for is top 8 and to be a solid cup team, as even with his genius, we probably couldn''t afford or attract the very top drawer players we need to sustain a challenge for the title, or build a squad with sufficient strength in depth. We could qualify for Champions League if we got lucky on injuries I guess at the very best. But that would be a remarkable achievement.

I''m not convinced tippy tappy football of Guardiola has a long term future and only works due to the genius of Messi, Iniesta and Xavi. And it certainly wouldn''t translate to our team! Anyone imagine Michael Turner stepping out from the back with the ball?!

[quote user="Canary Poirot"]

Obviously SAF. He is probably the greatest manager of the last 30 years. He was successful at all clubs he took over at, even East Sterling and St Mirren. But even with him in charge the best we could probably hope for is top 8 and to be a solid cup team, as even with his genius, we probably couldn''t afford or attract the very top drawer players we need to sustain a challenge for the title, or build a squad with sufficient strength in depth. We could qualify for Champions League if we got lucky on injuries I guess at the very best. But that would be a remarkable achievement.

I''m not convinced tippy tappy football of Guardiola has a long term future and only works due to the genius of Messi, Iniesta and Xavi. And it certainly wouldn''t translate to our team! Anyone imagine Michael Turner stepping out from the back with the ball?!

[/quote]When did Messi join Bayern?

Frank de Boer. All about bringing young players on, Ajax bluprint has only one main fault...they always sell their best players. With premiership money he wouldnt have to.

[quote user="lowlyfendweller"]Me, cos I''m skint.[/quote]I''d go with lowlyfendweller as well as he''s skint.Failing that probably a living (or zombie if available) Brian Clough or Arsene Wenger to get us playing a bit of Frenchie football.

[quote user="Holtcantshoot"][quote user="lowlyfendweller"]Me, cos I''m skint.[/quote]

I''d go with lowlyfendweller as well as he''s skint.

Failing that probably a living (or zombie if available) Brian Clough or Arsene Wenger to get us playing a bit of Frenchie football.
[/quote]

I''m happy with Frenchie Football. TBH I''m just trying to get my post count up . I''ve only been signed on for 11 years and just over a 1000 is pathetic. I know, I know...[pi]

Klopp was success with unknown players in a game that is based on running, but modern passing game too. Would take him in instant.

If Wenger wouldn''t be that old I would take him in instant. I want a manager that we can keep next 15 years and build a success on it ^^

Another one could be Cristophe Galtier who has done quite good job in St.Etienne and third one Simeone whose style is not aggressive and pretty as Klopp''s, but he knows how to get team work together and build from the defence and compete with giants far lesser budget.

Hughton for me. Long term stability and build a team that scares the big clubs.

All this talk is just nonsense. We need to invest in players !!!

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Any of:RijkaardGuidoloinFavre[/quote]Really? You could have any manager in the world and you''d have Francesco Guidolin or Lucien Favre

[quote user="Barossa"]Really? You could have any manager in the world and you''d have Francesco Guidolin or Lucien Favre[/quote]Absolutely.Key reasons are:A) Both managers have displayed an outstanding ability to get performances out of squads that are on paper nowhere near as strong as a large amount of the teams they would be playing against.B) Both managers are highly flexible and knowledgable on a tactical front, and if something isn''t working, they are not afraid to change things around to make it happenC) Both are at a good age where we could easily see 5-10 years or more out of them, rather than being too old or too inexperienced.D) Both will bring about a change in the style of football we play, with neither looking to ''park the bus'' in the process against ''bigger'' teams. (Even if Guidolin did often prefer counter-attacking football at many clubs).E) Favre in particular is superb at not only bringing through younger players (ideal for the likes of Redmond, Murphy, McGeehan etc), but has a great eye for talent at a good price in the european markets as well.F) Neither manager has normally worked with huge budgets, so rather than trying to buy their way up the league, they''ve played their way up it.I could go on, but I think you get the gist.There''s no point saying people like SAF, Wenger, Mourinho or Guardiola - it''ll never happen, but the guys I mentioned COULD be possibilities and in particular Favre would probably be the coup of the decade for us (along with signing Hucks when we did)...