Sign in to follow this  
Number 9

First Game

I''ve got to take my youngest to the game Saturday, she''s 7 and its her first live game. On previous occasions when she might have been able to go, they have been night games & mum wanted her tucked up in bed for school next morning.

It got me remeniscing about my first game.

Many years ago, well probably 1980 ish against West Ham. I was standing on the Barclay with a couple of mates, fantastic experience, not much footy on tv either then.

So hoping for plenty of excitement and a win for the little one, what was your first game?

My older kids prefer the night games cos of the atmosphere, there have been some fantastic night''s where all Carrow rd was rocking.

[quote user="Number 9"]My older kids prefer the night games cos of the atmosphere, there have been some fantastic night''s where all Carrow rd was rocking.[/quote]I don''t remember the first game I went to with my Dad, I know we won

it 2-1 but the second was an evening match - we won 6-0 against

Birmingham in 1970.   Hooked from then on.  

1952/53 season. Home to Newport County in the third div (south). It had to be home because I''m pretty sure not many travelled to away games in those days.

I remember they played in colours very similar to Wolves (gold/black). And their captain was Alf Sherwood, who was quite well known at the .time

1937, and I  was fascinated by the new roof over the Railway EndThe local vicar Parson de Ball offered to give me a crossbar to the game, but as he only had a woman''s bike I declined. Instead I borrowed my brothers hoop and stick and managed to get there ust jin time for the game (sadly it was stolen and I had to walk home).One memory I do have is of the huge crush around one of the gates, there was a hole in it and skinflints used to congregate around to watch the game for nothing.Of course you were allowed to smoke in the ground in those days (in fact encouraged to) and although only 8 I was on 20 woodbines a day - which required a fair old amount of cadging. There was not too much singing, but there was an awful lot of coughing.I don''t remember much of the game as it was a night game and floodlights had not been installed then - players just kept a fag on the go (rather like the Parson and his curate) and so could be spotted when a player wanted to pass.happy days

1979 Liverpool away, dad took me in the main stand at Liverpool ( he was a big Liverpool fan) i think it was his last throw of the dice as it always baffled him whilst i chose Norwich.

We lost 4-1, i think Steve Goble netted our consolation in the last minute, despite being 4-1 down i celebrated it like an FA cup final winner, that was the day dad finally gave up trying to turn me red, my love for the yellows was unconditional......

[URL=http://s107.photobucket.com/user/SwindonCanary/media/firstgameprogramme.jpg.html][IMG]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/SwindonCanary/firstgameprogramme.jpg[/IMG][/URL]This is the programme from my first game, a lot has happened to Norwich since !

Not sure on the year but was early 70''s. My dad said he was taking me to see a " proper footballer " who was Denis Law playing for Man City

My first game was in august 1988 - Norwich 2 - 1 Forest. Two first half goals from Fleck and Bowen, and a reply in the second half by Steve Chettle. I was aged 8. My word we had a quality team back then, playing some great football. Even now I have some old VHS tapes that still work of that team and Dale Gordon looked an absolute world beater back then. How he didn''t get multiple England caps is beyond me.

1991 Sheffield united at home I was 9 months old, we where 2-0 down 10 mins to go we pulled one back then about 5 mins later fleck chested the ball down and volleyed it just like hooper to make it 2-2 can''t remember first goal scorer my memory wasn''t that great at the age..

My first game was a week before my 3rd birthday - Villa away in 1990. 3-3 draw but I was more interested in their bloody lion mascot apparently.
The first game I remember was Forest away in March, 1993 (aged 5). We won 0-3 (Robins, Crook and Power) and it put us top by a point (albeit having played a game more). I just remember being stood in the stands for what seemed to be an eternity, as the chants of "We are top of the league" rang out into the night. (This is how the table looked that night: http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/tournament/points.html?date=1993-03-17;event=3;season=1992%2F93 )
My next clear memory is the home leg of the Bayern game, my Dad took me out of school for the day to make the 400 mile round trip to be there that night. I remember Goss'' slotting the cross home and wheeling round to celebrate almost directly in front of where we were sat (although we were at the back of the stand). Aside from the goal, and the euphoric atmosphere of the night, I remember almost nothing else of the game!
I grew up thinking that was what being a Norwich fan was all about. Little did I know! Those were the days though.
(As an aside, and as I got on a nostalgia trip, I was also one of the 4700 at Gresty Road to watch us squander a 2-0 lead in the 82nd minute and lose 3-2 on a bitter January night in 1999 - we were still 2-1 up until Mark Rivers notched one in the 87th minute.) That''s one of the other memorable games of my childhood! Not quite as glorious!

A lot of memories I have about games relate to the atmosphere at the carra.

At home, a night game against Bristol City? Hoolahoop won a pen in front of the Barclay after a couple of minutes, the roof nearly came off with the noise, I know we won, cant remember much else.

Must have been 1990, though I thought it was 89, went with my dad on a school trip and he never cared much for football. At home against Luton I think. All I remember was that Robert ullathorne was stand out.

She enjoyed her day, new NCFC scarf, some sweets and a hotdog.

Kept telling Ricky to get up, or wriggly as she called him.

Pity it wasn''t a win

[quote user="Number 9"]She enjoyed her day, new NCFC scarf, some sweets and a hotdog.

Kept telling Ricky to get up, or wriggly as she called him.

Pity it wasn''t a win[/quote]

Glad she did. Four of my grandchildren were there today too and they really enjoyed the game.Would have been a better atmosphere under lights though[;)]