Sign in to follow this  
Robert Barnes

Who and what do we need??

We need a winger, a Central Midfielder and I would like to see a new Center Half, albeit that could wait until the summer.Some suggestions: Harry Arter - Decent ball playing midfielder, perhaps not the type of CM we need at the minute.Wilson Palacios - Media Reports suggesting that he is available for 500k, not sure how accurate the reports are and must be on a fair old whack!Abdi Ibrahim- Think i''ve spelt that wrong. See the other thread(s) about him.John Guidetti- can play wide or out and out striker. Loan?Dedrick Boyata - Wouldn''t mind signing him as future/first team competition. him and Bennett could be the future.Other than that I am not sure who we can realistically go for, hoping McNally and friends surprise us all though!

[quote user="hazza9"]Centre back, midfielder and if Becchio leaves then we would need to replace him.[/quote]Hi Hazza9Interesting that you would like to replace Becchio if he left, for what reason?As far as I can see he doesn''t play anyway and we seem to use the same 3 strikers, we also have Carlton Morris.Would there be much point in replacing him? I would rather give our own youth a chance if we ever got as desperate as needing becchio.

I think Elmander needs genuine competition, either via the direct like for like route or via playing a different way by using either a formation involving both RVW and Hooper or that classic with Fer and Howson pushing on to help RVW. I''d like a dynamic and strong attacking mid in the Freddy Guarin/ Arturo Vidal mould who can help us take games by the scruff of the neck and win the midfield battle. Fer can''t do it all by himself.

[quote user="Alfie54"]I think Houghton should contact Steve Bruce and offer to swap Fer for Huddlestone![/quote]

Or ask if we can buy him to partner Fer, he''s still been one of our best players this season despite a poor showing last time out.

Well Norwich for me.... What happens if we let Becchio go and that leaves us Hooper, RVW and Elmander as senior strikers. Then let''s say we get an injury to 1 of them and a suspension to another which is realistic. So you would be happy going into a game with, say Elmander (0 league goals) and Morris (0 senior apps) up top yeah??

You still don''t think we would need to sign an extra striker if we let Becchio go??

My perfect transfer window would be to bring in Naughton, Caulker, Huddlestone and Townsend (although now townsend is big and unrealistic now I would have to say Ince).

Unfortunately only two of these 4 transfers seem viable. Missed opportunities with Huddlestone and Caulker last summer... let''s hope Hull and Cardiff go down

We should concentrate on sorting out the midfield . This is our weakest area and the reason we do not score enough goals. We need better than Howson And Tettey to push on.

[quote user="KeepTheFaith"]We should concentrate on sorting out the midfield . This is our weakest area and the reason we do not score enough goals. We need better than Howson And Tettey to push on.[/quote]Better than Howson ??And everyones new saviour Leroy Fer has been fantastic in the last 3 games ?! Howson is the best midfielder we have PG Tips way to injury prone. Jono and Fer are way to inconsitant. Wes is.... Wes... Snoddy having a dire season.So a new midfielder would be nice, when Huddlestones name was mooted I was glad we didnt get him, given his recent form Im a bit gutted.

[quote user="KeepTheFaith"]We should concentrate on sorting out the midfield . This is our weakest area and the reason we do not score enough goals. We need better than Howson And Tettey to push on.[/quote]

The combination of Tettey, Howson and Fer in midfield has probably been the highlight of our season and looks promising for the future.

Howson has also been our best player this season (for anyone who didn''t decide Fer was Player of the Season the moment we signed him).

every position, mainly centre back and a left winger, don''t think redman and snodgrass can play everey game

GJP,

Agree may have been the highlight of our season, but lets be pragmatic and say, it doesn''t take a great deal to be the highlight of our season.

And let''s be even more pragmatic and ask, where is the creativity, where are the bursts into the box, etc. Fully accepting these players may have been playing under instruction to play defensively!

[quote user="Ray"]GJP, Agree may have been the highlight of our season, but lets be pragmatic and say, it doesn''t take a great deal to be the highlight of our season. And let''s be even more pragmatic and ask, where is the creativity, where are the bursts into the box, etc. Fully accepting these players may have been playing under instruction to play defensively![/quote]

Yup. There''s not been much else to get excited about.

And yeah, it is hard to judge because you don''t know what the manager is asking the players to do or not do. In many games this season there have been massive gaps between midfield and attack. Although the wingers are allowed to play quite high the guys in the centre seemingly aren''t always allowed the same freedom to get forward.

You will often see Hughton hold his arm out to signal that he doesn''t want a midfielder or midfielders going forward.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Ray"]GJP, Agree may have been the highlight of our season, but lets be pragmatic and say, it doesn''t take a great deal to be the highlight of our season. And let''s be even more pragmatic and ask, where is the creativity, where are the bursts into the box, etc. Fully accepting these players may have been playing under instruction to play defensively![/quote]

And yeah, it is hard to judge because you don''t know what the manager is asking the players to do or not do. In many games this season there have been massive gaps between midfield and attack. Although the wingers are allowed to play quite high the guys in the centre seemingly aren''t always allowed the same freedom to get forward.

You will often see Hughton hold his arm out to signal that he doesn''t want a midfielder or midfielders going forward.

[/quote]Nail and head. Im convinced this is the reason we are so impotent this year and im affraid to say, always will be until Hoots sorts it out. Im not quite sure where his love affair with anchor / defensive mids comes from but its really hampering our ability to attack and create. Its no wonder the ball goes up to the edge of the penalty box then suddenly finds it way back to Ruddy within 3 Norwich city passes !

GJP,

Agree with arm waving and it also applies to FBs, I have a sneaky feeling that RM ignored instructions v Man Utd and that may be why he wasn''t started against Fulham, or put another way I am at a loss to undertsand why he was dropped after possibly his best performance?

Watching many other Prem teams, and not just the top four or five, when they break they break with their midfield bursting forward at break neck speed, our lads meander up. Now if you are a Prem player surely your natural instinct is to burst forward to support the attack, so I can only assume, and perversely hope, the instructions are to stay back otherwise we just have the wrong players. I won''t get onto the discussion re wrong manager or manager with the misguided

ideas of how to win a game (IMO only of course).

Also, agree the wingers are allowed to play high, however they need support and the instruction/ability to get to the byline and cross. Maybe the don''t, as often as I would like, because to do so leaves them on their own without support, so they cut inside because this in the only way they can link with others?

De Bruyne or Holtby on loan and hopefuly with decent buy option..

And buy Ryan Gauld and loan him back immediately for Dundee or one of the attack minded Eredivisie teams. One of those players that has diamond vision, but still somewhat under the radar of big clubs because of tinpot league and low prestige club and nationality. Last chance to get him cheaply with average risk.

Magnus Eriksson and play him as a more advanced option for Snoddy in 4-3-3. (Also sell Becchio and he is our fourth striker.) Should be quite cheap and has quite a lot of muscle to compete in premier league.

Montoya on loan from Barcelona and hopefuly we can get him free at summer. ^^

Sebastian Rudy is free during the summer so mayby cheeky bid to strenghten our defensive midfield positions. Matthias Ginter (CB) has also shown interest moving out of Freiburg this summer so could be option and is considered quite talented even thought still young.

But in reality I doubt we see nothing more than 1 really strengthening move and mayby 1 backup player to ensure we have wingers even thought Pilkington and Bennett would be out rest of the season.

And Ray I dont know what games you are watching, but at least Olsson and Whittaker doesn''t have any orders to stay back and defend instead of supporting our wingers. So doubt it would be the case with Martin dropping.

In my opinion Hughton thought against CP we could get more flair at wing by bringing Whittaker instead of Martin.

Also we have one deep midfielder whose duty is to be an anchor and second midfielder whose role is support and read the game when we play 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2. We try to keep formation quite much always, but our midfield isnt ordered to stay put. Another one of them is just covering runs of fullbacks and other one is lurking outside the box for rebounds.

in 4-4-2 this has created too much space between midfield and strikers as GJP mentioned, but I think this is mostly because of injuries. In two previous games where we have used Wes and those where we had 3 pure midfielder those gaps have been ok.

In my opinion some of our players have let us down this season and sometimes Hughton is just asking too much from midfield.

Lavanche,

Not sure where you sit, but from where I am I here the instructions being shouted out from the bench. Also, imo, the most attacking FB perfromance this year was RM against Man Utd, when he proably ignored instructions. I think if RM was allowed to get forward more frequently (or took it into his own hands) he would be the more effective of our two RB''s.

Also, whilst I agree with some of your points re midfield I am of the opinion other teams send their midfield forward at pace, we do not, obviously this is more risky and I guess it is not CH''s way or style?

Bassong & Ryan Bennett are "error-ridden" I have no confidence in either of these two whatsoever. They are losing us games !

We need 2 competent central defenders.

Nexus_Canary wrote the following post at 04/01/2014 1:40 AM:

GJP wrote:

Ray wrote:

GJP, Agree may have been the highlight of our season, but lets be pragmatic and say, it doesn''t take a great deal to be the highlight of our season. And let''s be even more pragmatic and ask, where is the creativity, where are the bursts into the box, etc. Fully accepting these players may have been playing under instruction to play defensively!

Nail and head.

Im convinced this is the reason we are so impotent this year and im affraid to say, always will be until Hoots sorts it out. Im not quite sure where his love affair with anchor / defensive mids comes from but its really hampering our ability to attack and create. Its no wonder the ball goes up to the edge of the penalty box then suddenly finds it way back to Ruddy within 3 Norwich city passes !

He doesn''t want the midfielders going forward?

Tell me, where are they going to go? The inverted wingers, when Redmond is on the left and Snodgrass right, take all the possible space for the midfielders to get forward. And even worse, they close up the attack so much that there is little opportunity to play any through balls to the forwards. No wonder both the forwards and the centre midfield appear frustrated. The forwards are closed out of the game and the midfield have nowhere to go!

So, back on topic, I would like a creative winger who can cross and play wide, who can hit the goal line and get crosses in to show how good the forwards are that we have.

Yellow Wall,

We may have the type of player you crave, in Elliott Bennett, Pilks, Redmond and the two Murphs, injuries aside of course. The question is why don''t they?

Ray wrote the following post at 04/01/2014 12:23 PM:

Yellow Wall,

We may have the type of player you crave, in Elliott Bennett, Pilks, Redmond and the two Murphs, injuries aside of course. The question is why don''t they?

Elliott Bennett is injured and still unproven

Pils is injury prone, injured at the moment and is not the quickest.

Redmond is continually played on the wrong wing

Both Murphy boys are inexperienced - one more than the other.

Yellow Wall,

I said may have, and injuries aside and asked the question "Why don''t they?", so not sure what point(s) you are making that I haven''t? Could you elucidate - thanks.

I agree that we may, and it is only ''may'', have wingers who may be good enough, but they aren''t at the moment and it is now that we need them.

The ''why don''t they'' is a different matter. Our manager appears to encourage our ''wingers'' to be inverted and to come inside and shoot. This I feel is detrimental, frustrating and annoying to our central strikers. I yearn for crosses from the left with a left foot and from the right with a right foot. I believe a left foot cross from the left wing created a goal today!

Yellow Wall,

Yeah, great to see and great to see one of our inexperienced youngsters showing how it is done, let''s hope the management learnt something from it??