Sign in to follow this  
Nexus_Canary

What has he done right ?

Ok, so we all ( some ) love a good moan about Hoots, eg his poor tactics, subs. From some of the Hootan fan club, What has he done right and / or what are his strengths as a manager ?Can we try to keep this objective and get away from the normal e-pen1s size competition.Ive said many times I want Hoots gone but accept there is no one to replace him at the moment, Im more interested to see why people feel he IS the man for the job.So come on, money where mouth is people.Ill give the obvious one, He kept us up last season and finished higher than the Messiah.

Brought youth into the team.

Got hold of some quality players.

Doesn''t tuck his trews in his socks.

I genuinely think we can stay up with Hughton, JUST, but his tactics and team selections are stunting our attacking abilities!

I do think he is very good at building a squad, look at Newcastle, but can he take them forward?

Well there are a thousand other threads discussing that.

Indy loves to stir.He''s sitting back smiling now waiting for the usual suspects to bite.Give it time for the ground bait to work.[;)]

This post sums up exactly why I, and I am sure many others, simply do not bother to read the majority of threads on here these days.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]This post sums up exactly why I, and I am sure many others, simply do not bother to read the majority of threads on here these days.[/quote]Why because you dont actually have anything positive to say ?

He does buy good players (both at Newcastle & here)As Herman said, he also builds good squad. Can he take it forward. Well he never got a chance at Newcastle, and many on here think he''s already past his best before date.My main complaint is he seems to go for containment in a game, rather than anything else, and simply stay in a game. He never appears to set out his stall and go win a game or kill a game off, which is too negative for many.

[quote user="RvWs 4 year contract"]I really hate the patronising attitude of some supporters on here...

People have legit concerns about Hughton (myself included). Why shouldnt we be allowed to voice our concerns?[/quote]I think you totally missed which camp im in mate ;)

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="RvWs 4 year contract"]I really hate the patronising attitude of some supporters on here...

People have legit concerns about Hughton (myself included). Why shouldnt we be allowed to voice our concerns?[/quote]I think you totally missed which camp im in mate ;)[/quote]I dont mean you haha. I mean the posters who always post patronising comments about others.

They know who they are. [:#]

I am a hoots outer BUT I think he could be a good manager for us if he just let the players express themselves more ,

I think a coach like ray Wilkins would be a good mix with hoots someone to give advice and lighten the load I think hoots would be a good manager if he let us do more for him eg coaching not like the chuckle brothers he has there now !

He led us to our highest premier league finish in bloody ages with a team that wasn''t his. (now he''s bought ''his'' players it will be interesting to see how they do over time).

Producing more of a balanced style of play instead of attacking and shifting a load of goals (under lambert) or being negative and not scoring or conceding a lot (first season of Hoots).

Bought some great players, not just through previous connections with players (Bassong, Redmond etc) but from overseas as well.

A good figurehead for this club, very respectable, conducts himself very well and has a good cv.

3 points off 10 place at the hallway stage and people seem to think we are meltdown. It looks absolutely fine in general from where i am

Second most effective manager given finances last season and also outperforming finances this season so clearly all the criticism of tactics and subs does not stand up to an objective assessment

[quote user="RvWs 4 year contract"]I really hate the patronising attitude of some supporters on here...

People have legit concerns about Hughton (myself included). Why shouldnt we be allowed to voice our concerns?[/quote]And right on cue you nibble the bait. Nobody is stopping you voicing your concerns.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Oi Ricardo, stop scaring off all the bleeding fish !!![/quote]OK, I''ll nip back to my own thread but there is a fatal fascination in watching an expert fisherman when the shoals sniff the ground bait.Best of luck you''ve pulled in a few little un''s already, I''ll be back when the big un''s arrive.[;)]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Oi Ricardo, stop scaring off all the bleeding fish !!![/quote]OK, I''ll nip back to my own thread but there is a fatal fascination in watching an expert fisherman when the shoals sniff the ground bait.Best of luck you''ve pulled in a few little un''s already, I''ll be back when the big un''s arrive.[;)][/quote]Aye Aye Capt ;)

As one of the most patronising of posters (so I''m told) I''ll give you a straight answer.  Hughton is a pragmatist and a realist. The antithesis of Paul Lambert.   The judgement was that we would need  to rebuild from the ground up with a more pragmatic approach.  Lambert had got us to the promised land, Hughton had to take us on from there. 

We all know what he has done right - bought good players.    We might even agree that we needed to work on the defence last season - we did that to the extent of finishing 11th.   This season was to take us on in an attacking field.  We have Hooper and RVW instead of Holt and Morison.  That in itself will prove good in the long term.  But because it hasn''t happened yet doesn''t mean it won''t happen.   After all both Hooper and RVW have been injured for weeks this season.   E.Bennett was injured.   Howson is now out for a while. Pilks has been out. Tettey has been out.

So what has he done right?  Kept us in the mix, some good performances  (as well as some bad defeats) and as people keep saying, only three points off tenth.   What else has he done right?   Kept his cool, his dignity and most of all he has kept the players onside.

To me its a crying shame that some fans can''t see a bigger picture and would prefer to rubbish the manager for what they see on the pitch, without taking into concern the bigger picture.  Don''t care about "bigger pictures"?  Is that meaningless?   To me it means developing over a period of time and will take as long as it takes.   It was always going to take well into this season to get things going, longer now, due to the injury situation.  

Patience is in short supply. To be fair patience is non-existent for some people - those that started complaining pre-season last season!  It is an emotive subject, but the proof of how good Hughton is, is measured in the success of the team.   11th last season, three points off tenth place this season so far.   Style and attacking potency will improve with time.   At the moment though, consolidation and building is what is happening.  I wish people could get used to that idea.  When you build a house, you start with foundations, put up walls, put a roof on,  but the style and attractiveness doesn''t appear until the inside has been painted decorated and furnished.  We are still building.

There, is that patronising enough?

Oi Nexus, the big un''s are here.Christ LDC, I gave you fair warning there were hooks about.

[quote user="ricardo"]Oi Nexus, the big un''s are here.Christ LDC, I gave you fair warning there were hooks about.[/quote]holy sh1t Ricardo !?! Grab my landing net mate !!!!