Sign in to follow this  
skeps

how much would you accept for hoolahan?

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

JS, for me despite our difference of opinion,the following is crucial...

Providing........"we have a suitable/better squad replacement signed in January"

I actually agree that we need his type of player in the squad......

[/quote]

Differences of opinion are fine. It''s what is all about and on that point I agree. Whatever the value we got IF we did decide to sell it would have to be on the basis we have a replacement already secured.

Providing........"we have a suitable/better squad replacement signed in January"

[/quote]

Differences of opinion are fine. It''s what is all about and on that point I agree. Whatever the value we got IF we did decide to sell it would have to be on the basis we have a replacement already secured.

[/quote]

As the question is so often raised to those of us who want Hughton gone then I will ask it to those who want Hoolahan sold. Who else better can we realistically get to play his role? A younger better version I have read on here, well a younger better version of Wes is going to cost us 15 million if we could find one.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]We are in a real relegation scrap and need to hold onto every one of our decent players and he is one. [/quote]It doesn''t matter how good a player is though YC if the manager refuses to play them!Every game that Wes doesn''t play brings his value down, because other footballing professionals are likely to trust CH''s judgment and assume that he''s past his best etc[quote]The summer may be a different matter.[/quote]This ties in with my first point - what difference does it make if we sold now or in the summer if the manager isn''t going to use the guy during that period???I''d rather have 1.5 mil (or more) now, which can go towards a new player or even just covering wages/bonuses etc, than I would have nothing at all and maybe see another 4-5 games from Wes during that time... [quote]I would not sell anyone to Villa unless they paid way over the odds[/quote]Some fans need to get over this Lambert/Villa fixation and realise that their money is just as good as any other clubs is, and certainly our board/CEO are neither stubborn, nor stupid enough to turn down a good offer just because it''s Villa ffs!

[quote user="JF"]As the question is so often raised to those of us who want Hughton gone then I will ask it to those who want Hoolahan sold. Who else better can we realistically get to play his role?[/quote]You mean what other one-footed, lightweight, occasionally brilliant players are there, who can''t score for toffee most games and struggle to provide assists half the time as well...???I''m struggling to be honest on that score, but there a number of other players around who can perform extremely well in the modern attacking midfielder role/support striker position, my ideal choices would be Roberto Firmino or Leo Baptistao, and whilst neither of them will come cheap, they will provide the quality improvement we need in this area and are at a very good age to boot.

We don''t need a replacement for a player that can''t score for toffee and struggle to provide assists, we have Hughtons favourite player Elmander for that role. As for your suggestions i bet they are very good on football manager but I asked for realistic replacements we could get.

[/quote]

So many idiots on here. Why is wes not given the credit and value he deserves by all Norwich fans? He ran the show against Man Utd and turned in a decent performance against palace. He is our only creative player. Not our best, our only!

It really is unbelievable that wes''s ability and value is still questioned. Above all he is a very loyal player. He''s been here for 5/6 years. He should be considered a legend. It really does wind me up.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]It really is unbelievable that wes''s ability and value is still questioned. Above all he is a very loyal player. He''s been here for 5/6 years. He should be considered a legend. It really does wind me up.[/quote]Maybe you should start by knocking on Hughton''s door first of all then LC, because he''s the one who refuses to play him ffs!Hoolahan IS a club legend and should rightly be remembered for the integral role he''s played in our return to the top, but the fairytale has to end somewhere or you end up with underperforming players who start to get unfair stick from fans that used to love them (look at Holt last season ffs, he was a shadow of the guy he used to be and more and more fans got on his back because of it).The sad truth is that Wes is a flawed genius, if he wasn''t he''d already have been at a CL club and we''d never have been able to sign him. His deficiences can be overlooked in the lower leagues (CCC and L1), but become more obvious at this level, and whilst he''s still a good player (if utilised correctly and on-form), he''s not irreplaceable either.

lincoln canary wrote the following post at 04/01/2014 10:53 AM:

So many idiots on here. Why is wes not given the credit and value he deserves by all Norwich fans? He ran the show against Man Utd and turned in a decent performance against palace. He is our only creative player. Not our best, our only!

It really is unbelievable that wes''s ability and value is still questioned. Above all he is a very loyal player. He''s been here for 5/6 years. He should be considered a legend. It really does wind me up.

Because they don''t understand the actual game of football, just the game played on a computer.

What Wes brings to the team is a player that other than him we don''t have. A player that always gives the man on the ball a option of a simple pass into his feet, he is always available to receive the ball and then use it to advance into attacking positions, he links the play and turns us from a clueless long ball team into a football team. Yes he has his limitations but if he didn''t he wouldnt be here, he would be at a top, top team. A replacement player if we could find one that would do these things for us would cost money we could''t spend.

[quote user="JF"]As for your suggestions i bet they are very good on football manager but I asked for realistic replacements we could get.[/quote]No idea how good they are on Football Manager, but in real life they''re both very good players who are both realistic possibilites depending on which other clubs come in for them.I''m pretty sure that a year or so ago I''d have been laughed at for suggesting RVW or Fer as potential signings, but look what happened...I''m not suggesting we sign the likes of Messi or Ronaldo ffs, but just because you''ve never heard of them, it doesn''t make them either crap players, unrealistic signings or simply people who are good on some computer game...

Obvisouly up in Rotherham, you dont get a chance to see wes in action, if played in his best postion, or in attack minded football, there aint much better, but if played on the wing, well thats another question!!

If i was wes i would be looking to jump ship, to join a manager who wants to play free flowing football. a manager who brought the best out of him, a decent contract, signing on fee!!!! silly not too!!

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="JF"]As the question is so often raised to those of us who want Hughton gone then I will ask it to those who want Hoolahan sold. Who else better can we realistically get to play his role?[/quote]You mean what other one-footed, lightweight, occasionally brilliant players are there, who can''t score for toffee most games and struggle to provide assists half the time as well...???I''m struggling to be honest on that score, but there a number of other players around who can perform extremely well in the modern attacking midfielder role/support striker position, my ideal choices would be and whilst neither of them will come cheap, they will provide the quality improvement we need in this area and are at a very Roberto Firmino or Leo Baptistao,good age to boot.[/quote]

You''re struggling to find another one-footed, lightweight, occasionally brilliant players are there, who can''t score for toffee most games and struggle to provide assists half the time as well...???

You blind ??? Half our current playing squad fit that description. Now "Bonehead" find a another player at the club that can link play as well as Hoolahan. Don''t go off on one of your tantrums or change the subject.

Can Firmino or Baptistao do this ?, If not they do not play the same game as Hoolahan and therefore not a similar type of player.

You know, it always amazes me that we have so many fans that see Wes as some irreplaceable, world class talent, yet despite us having this superstar in our squad, we''ve never had him poached by one of the top clubs in the game (or even semi-decent clubs in the prem for that matter)...For a player that is supposed to link play so well (and I''m not saying he doesn''t do a good job), it''s incredible how little end product comes out of it.As for what Firmino or Baptistao can offer, how about you actually want a bit of football outside of the prem and draw your own conclusions? It''s also apparent that Hughton DOES NOT want to play someone like Wes, so getting a like for like replacement would be utterly pointless whilst Hughton is in charge isn''t it!

I say don''t sell.

Now we are debt free £1.5 million is petty cash, and is what we would get for finishing 15th rather than 17th at the end of the season.

If one piece of Wes''s magic proved to be the difference between relegation and staying up then he immediately becomes worth some £50 million to us.

Fanciful? Well this line of thinking applied to Kamara last year with his goal against Everton having the effect of keeping us up IMHO.

With our midfield injuries it would be foolish to sell Wes, and especially to a relegation rival who are managed by someone who knows how to utilise Wes.

Che''s right hand man wrote the following post at 04/01/2014 12:00 PM:

Sell, unless we start playing the diamond.

Nail, hammer, head.

Useful squad player, I would keephim.
And surely Wes isnt naive to think that if he moved to Villa, he would start every game.

Wes made we score against CP and created 2 good chances. He was our best player again Manu. He still is decent player and he can be used equally well in any formation that uses clear 10 spot than in diamond.

Now is he irreplaceable? No. As I said if we get in this window before he leaves a similar player who is younger and at least good as him we can sell.

But before that offers like 1,5million are worth of nothing from a proven premiership player.

And still world is full one legged players light weight players that are world class. Wes isn''t world class player, but in out level he is useful profile player who can create us more chances and room at the last third of pitch.

And if you understand a thing about football you know you shouldn''t sell useful player before you have replaced him. In our case we probably shouldn''t sell him anyway in January without really good offer as half of our midfield is injured.

Indy Bones wrote: For a player that is supposed to link play so well (and I''m not saying he doesn''t do a good job), it''s incredible how little end product comes out of it.

With Hoolahan - it''s not all about goals & assists.

We are beaten less in the premiership when Hoolahan''s in the team. (not made up - refer the records if you don''t believe me) My explanation for this is his movement & actions inspire the team to play better via passing & retaining the ball - this deprives the opposition of the ball and therefore stops us being bombarded.

Example: Man United last week. Up until about the 15th minute United had most of the ball. Every time we played it out, it went to Snodgrass - who gave it away with his first 5 touches. Around the 15th minute mark the ball went to Hoolahan in our own half - he touched the ball twice & made 2 positive passes- this started an unbroken sequence of about 18 passes which led to Snodgrass releasing Russell Martin for a shot that almost produced a goal. Up to that point Snodgrass was near useless (but when you have good players around you that know what they''re doing - I guess you get inspired )- after that the entire team lifted and played with confidence. We staved United of the ball and should have won that game.

If you were at the game, you''d have recognize this & also watch Hoolahan dribbling past & calving up the United players like they were paper men.

We''ve acquired some fairly good players in the last transfer window -they are all pretty direct. But none can pass the ball as well as Hoolahan- they are all punch & counter punch type players. Against the bigger clubs who have most of the ball we are just going to be out punched. So we need to retain the ball - Hoolahan''s at this point is the only player that do this. That''s where his value lays.

So without a like-for-like replacement - it''s no deal as far as I''m concern.

As much as I like Hoolahan - I love the club more. I don''t want Hughton to be a "nice" guy & let him go ! I consider it a risk to the club to sell him.

I''d rather he sat on the bench for us & is available to us when we need him. 1.5 mil will be peanuts to lose if we survive.

Also - only got time to watch my own club.

A true legend IMO, but his best years are behind him. I would take the money and look for a new younger playmaker. At our level you need to run just to stand still. Take the money before he walks for free.

Have to disagree with you on this one, Ricardo.

First half against CP(h) he made us look like a different team. His touch & movement were that of a top 6 club - he actually seemed to have moved to a different level then, first time passing & movement I''d never really seen from him before.

If he can produce that sort of form with reasonable consistency, with the new players getting on the same wavelength, we could have a decent finish to the season.

I know the retort will be that he''s inconsistent, but I saw stuff from Wes I hadn''t seen before. I''ve said before that he''s improved markedly since he joined us, & I think it''s possible he may yet be adding more to his locker.

£1.5m is a joke. I understand he may not be worth more to another club, but at the moment he is worth far, far more to us.

I can''t see any reason EVER to sell Hoolahan.

This idea that you should just cash in once a player hits thirty is dumb.

Look at Scholes, Giggs, Beckham.

Hoolahan could be a squad player here for a few years yet.

And if god forbid we get relegated and lose our star names.... the list of players that we suddenly miss would be huge, and Hoolahan would be right at the top of it.

Wes is good little player but he''s not good enough often enough at this level to have the whole formation changed to fit him, which is what he needs to get the best out of him. I wouldnt sell to a rival though during the transfer window. If we stay up, although sad I would think that was a much better time to consider any offers.