Sign in to follow this  
skeps

how much would you accept for hoolahan?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-news-wes-2985369

They can go forth & multiply

the offer by a factor of ten (at least).

Yes.Wes is a luxury player who can be excellent on his day, but useless off it, not to mention that he scores way too little for the position he plays and often lacks the physicality to compete a lot of the time at this level.I think he''s been an outstanding player for us and deserves all the plaudits for this, but like Holt - it''s time to move on IMHO.

Let me preface this by saying I love Wes. Our longest serving player by far who destroyed defences in League One and the Championship and has proven he is a genuine Premiership player.However... I just think under Hughton he''s never going to shine. At the tip of a diamond with two strikers and two combatative midfielders he is the business but playing in a 4-4-1-1/4-5-1 is not his forte, especially away from home with long balls, no support and crowded out by the opposition all too easily. If a Championship team offered a couple of million I''d say sell but probably not to one of our Premiership rivals mainly on principle.Again, I love him as a player but he''s not really getting any game time and would be nice for him to end his career by playing week in, week out. If he were to stay with us until the end of his career then great!

put simply we do not have enough players in our squad, particularly in midfield where we are under numbers, to be able to sell any this jan.

Yes we can buy some in but we are already inexperience heavy and we should resist any moves for wes, bj, howson or fer at anything bar silly money - for wes given his age I would put that at over £5m.

I don''t think we should let any of our key players leave in January, and most certainly not to our competitor teams in the PL. And, in the context of PL income, £1.5m is insulting.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Yes - and I would fully agree with Indy. I would accept an exchange for Agbonlahor :).[/quote]

I''d have Agbonlahor here like a shot.....if Wes went the other way.....

I could let Wes leave if we get at least equal younger version of him, but in January 1,5 million offer for a team that is currently lacking midfielders and for a player we cant easy replace is ridiculous. Minium offer I would have taken during the summer from him would have been three times that and now we are in more desperate situation with the midfielders and in most of games certainly lacking his creative presence.

5m and we can talk about it, but as it is Aston Villa offering 7 million''s at least or 3 millions and a player of choise outside of Benteke and Abgonlahor. ^^

Why help a fellow struggler?

Lambert knows how to get the best out of Wes. What if he goes there and gives Benteke a boost?

F*ck that.

Plus we''re stretched too thin to let an experienced and quality player go.

I think he showed against Man.U he''s still got more than enough quality to get by, very unlucky not to score. Similar on a number of occasions for me. Of course close doesn''t help in grand scheme of things, but I do honestly think he creates a lot more in this league than given credit for.

I don''t think any club would bid an acceptable amount. We''re very thin on the ground as it is, he''s the only proper option the management team see as viable for playing an AM in a 4-5-1. Despite many saying Howson/Fer/Snoddy even Redmond could/should play there. Howson the best shout, but personally for me he does a lot more as a CM as his final ball doesn''t really seem to exist, but his energy, passing range, drive and long range shooting are all great. Much better suited to CM than AM for me.

So, I''d probably say £4-5 million for Hoolahan, based on what he can still do and the fact we''d instantly need to replace him with another player of better quality or suffer the consequences.

No way and under no circumstances must he be sold unless we get a ridiculous bid.

When we get a decent manager they will want to use Wes with him having shown against Man U what a good player he still is.

having said that ive changed my mind, sell him for 1.5 its a fair deal as it would tip a huge amount of supporters of the edge and the hughton out protests would be in full swing by the next gamesell sell sell

I must admit I was worried he''d given up a few games ago. But he was terrific against CP (h) & Manure, so I reckon the enthusiasm is still there.

No sale. Not for anywhere near that price anyway.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Of course close doesn''t help in grand scheme of things, but I do honestly think he creates a lot more in this league than given credit for.[/quote]The problem is that not only is he a player in decline, but the formation and setup that gets the best out of him is something that we are simply NOT going to see under Hughton.Bear in mind that he''s only played FIVE games this season of 60+ minutes (with a further 4 ''cameo apps of 20 mins or less), and it''s blindingly clear that not only is Hughton not going to play him, but that he doesn''t see him as an important part of the squad, thereby making him far more likely to be willing to sell if a decent offer is made.Let''s also not forget last year when everyone was saying we should demand 5 million or more for Holt, who''s since gone on to prove that it absolutely WAS the right time for him to go as his performances for Wigan have been dire and he''s very much a player in decline (much like Wes IMHO, but in a different way).Market value for a difficult to accomodate, luxury player who''s the wrong side of 30 and can''t get a regular place in our team is absolutely NOT going to be 3-4 million or more, and just because we are NOT going to get this doesn''t mean we should simply leave him to rot on the bench for the rest of the season!If a good offer comes in (anything over 1.5 million) and Wes is happy to go, then we should let him go - both out of respect for what he''s done, and so that we can re-invest in a newer, younger player that fits how the manager wants us to play (be this Hughton or his replacement)...

Three things straight off the bat.
  • We don''t need the money
  • Selling him to a relegation rival
  • Bowkett and McNally dealing with Lambert

I doubt it somehow

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Gingerpele"]Of course close doesn''t help in grand scheme of things, but I do honestly think he creates a lot more in this league than given credit for.[/quote]The problem is that not only is he a player in decline, but the formation and setup that gets the best out of him is something that we are simply NOT going to see under Hughton.Bear in mind that he''s only played FIVE games this season of 60+ minutes (with a further 4 ''cameo apps of 20 mins or less), and it''s blindingly clear that not only is Hughton not going to play him, but that he doesn''t see him as an important part of the squad, thereby making him far more likely to be willing to sell if a decent offer is made.Let''s also not forget last year when everyone was saying we should demand 5 million or more for Holt, who''s since gone on to prove that it absolutely WAS the right time for him to go as his performances for Wigan have been dire and he''s very much a player in decline (much like Wes IMHO, but in a different way).Market value for a difficult to accomodate, luxury player who''s the wrong side of 30 and can''t get a regular place in our team is absolutely NOT going to be 3-4 million or more, and just because we are NOT going to get this doesn''t mean we should simply leave him to rot on the bench for the rest of the season!If a good offer comes in (anything over 1.5 million) and Wes is happy to go, then we should let him go - both out of respect for what he''s done, and so that we can re-invest in a newer, younger player that fits how the manager wants us to play (be this Hughton or his replacement)...[/quote]

Sorry but he completely fits with our preferred formation as his best position is playing as the advanced midfielder behind a lone striker.

The reason he has not played a lot is because our manager is an idiot.

I would certainly take 1.5 million providing..

- it is not from Villa, just because it''s PL and why should we!
- we have a suitable/better squad replacement signed in January

Why?

Well, despite acknowledging his very significant contribution over the years and his obvious ability, I feel that...

- he doesnt perform to the required standard enough of the time i.e. the Manure performance is unlikely to be repeated again more than once this season, the rest of his displays will be mediocre (sorry if that upsets anyone) ....and our "idiot" Manager knows this!
- for this league he is a bit of a light weight against a lot of the opposition
- we can do better
- CH needs to bring in his own players and it is time for him to move on rather than go on a free
- a move for him now will personally probably give him a new lease of life and extend his career at the highest level rather than it fizzing out with us and then moving to a Barnsley or Birmingham

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

Why?

Well, despite acknowledging his very significant contribution over the years and his obvious ability, I feel that...

- he doesnt perform to the required standard enough of the time i.e. the Manure performance is unlikely to be repeated again more than once this season, the rest of his displays will be mediocre (sorry if that upsets anyone) ....and our "idiot" Manager knows this!
- we can do better
- CH needs to bring in his own players and it is time for him to move on rather than go on a free
- a move for him now will personally probably give him a new lease of life and extend his career at the highest level rather than it fizzing out with us and then moving to a Barnsley or Birmingham

[/quote]

Could not disagree more. £1.5m is nowhere near enough, he has performed well when selected (which has not been often enough) and if you look at our best performances/runs over the last two seasons I think you will find they coincide with spells where Wes has been picked regularly. We cannot afford to be offloading our one midfielder with a bit of spark and creative flair at a time when we are at risk of relegation.

£1.5m buys nothing at this level. We are in a real relegation scrap and need to hold onto every one of our decent players and he is one. The summer may be a different matter. I would not sell anyone to Villa unless they paid way over the odds

JS, for me despite our difference of opinion,the following is crucial...

Providing........"we have a suitable/better squad replacement signed in January"

I actually agree that we need his type of player in the squad......

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

Why?

- we can do better

[/quote]a

All this is true, Wes just doesn''t perform consistently,

I think people look at him with rose tinted glasses because of what he did for us in league one/champ level.

He does not offer enough goals in the prem to justify his place

Sell to free up a squad position, just not to lambert

From Villa? wouldnt sell to them, but, and i''ve said this before on other threads, if the Board/Managenent have a better replacement, and they figure we can afford and its the right deal at the right time.....then why not. Wes has been a great servant to the club, but i was in his boots and decent offers were coming in that would give me regular 1st team footy, i''d have to seriously consider a move, personally think a top championship team would be a good fit for Wes, but not till replacement is done.

[quote user="iron_stan"]having said that ive changed my mind, sell him for 1.5 its a fair deal as it would tip a huge amount of supporters of the edge and the hughton out protests would be in full swing by the next game

sell sell sell
[/quote]

I like the cut of your jib Mr Stan.

If Wes wants out then we have no option but to let him go.......He''s what, 31 now?......I think an amount around £2.3 million would be a fair price for one-footed Wes. I''ll miss him, but life moves on.....

But, a better replacement should be ready to step into his role......Once again, a cheeky bid for Huddlestone, if you don''t ask, you don''t get!