Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Common factor between Forest & City

Who would at one time play Holt on the wing at Forrest, then be involved yesterday in putting a so called striker on the wing. No prizes for guess the common factor ......CALDERWOOD .

So has he more influence over CH than he should have?

No wonder we can''t score the goals that we need.

Those of us who know little about football, would never ever do that. So why do the proffesionals ? After all we had the other Murphy who could have played in that position.

What was the reason?

If the coach has no influence why employ him. Calderwood should present a selection of solutions, but ultimately Hughton is accountable.

If you back Hughton, by implication you must back his judgement in selecting his coaching team. Caldeerwood should not be made a scapegoat.

Well said Europe. There''s a weird grudge against him because he upset Holt years ago.

Now lets get this straight.   Holt fought for his place at Forest, scored 18 goals and was voted player of the season - and promptly put in a transfer request when a pay rise was refused.  Sound familiar?     Not guaranteed to put yourself on good terms with a manager.  But Calderwood wanted him to stay. The following season he was played out wide  - but then Holt has a good cross and is known for covering more ground in a match than most players.   Now don''t tell me Holt didn''t have enough pace to play out wide - we play Snodgrass out wide, after all - and Forest had some other strikers to fit in too.  Now I know Holt is a goalscorer, but he stayed and did a job for the team - then left at the end of the season.  Again - sounds familiar.   Holt is not the innocent in all this.  He has played for twelve clubs (thirteen?).  He is as much interested in himself, his family and his own career as anyone and was always looking to get the best deal for himself, given his early career when he wouldn''t have made much money.    So this thing over Calderwood and Holt has two sides to it.   We don''t know all the facts, so lets give Calderwood the benefit of the doubt eh?

Holt is a proven goal scorer for numerous clubs. Calderwood never cut it as a manager. It''s possible to see why people side with one and not the other. Personally, I don''t care. I blame the Tea Lady

[quote user="lake district canary"] So this thing over Calderwood and Holt has two sides to it.   We don''t know all the facts, so lets give Calderwood the benefit of the doubt eh?

[/quote]Aside from the bust-ups at Forest which led to him being sold. Calderwood played Holt on the wing all season, "in one of the bizzarest moves possible". This a season after he was top scorer with 18 goals and player of the season. Unsurprisingly Calderwood was sacked a few months later. The guy is clueless.

Calderwood never cut it as a manager is undoubtedly true but how is it relevant?

It keeps being said that he and Trollope are failed managers. If they were our manager then that would be cause for concern but they are not. There are plenty of coaches who''ve failed as managers. Clue there. That''s why they are coaches.

I failed to cut it as a footballer. That has had no impact on my employment in my life. It is what one does not what one has failed at which is important.