Sign in to follow this  

Once he''s match fit and getting the right service and breaks we''ll see a very classy player, seen him play a lot for sporting and believe me once he''s firing on all cylinders a few norwich will be eating humble pie.

Where''s the dig at Hoots?:-)

Cheers for that. It''s good to hear. A few more games to get him up to full fitness........

[quote user="Vaughans Stiff Upper Lip"]Completely agree. Rancand ran and ran, Dropping back for the ball and then making runs into the box. Denied by a great save.The more he plays the more the midfield will understand and the lad will score goals![/quote]

Terrific but when?[:S]

can u sit down please wrote the following post at 2014-01-04 10:24 PM:

Fantastic movement, looked sharp, follows everything up like a good poacher should, good link up play and unlucky not to have scored today.

People criticising him are clueless

I don''t think people criticising him are clueless - Ricky unfortunately had to seek the ball far too often, especially taking him out of position to wide areas. Until Hughton actually finds him someone to play on his wavelength, (as sporting did) in a top two, and we actually have good wingers who can cross the ball to his strengths, he will not score. Josh Murphy summed it up on Radio Norfolk - the gaffer likes us to track back and stay on the defender and midfield runners - this is the ultra defensive pattern that destroys our attacking play, and which necessitates our strikers running into wide areas to receive the ball - because the winger having tracked back, is not in a far enough forward position. This has been Hughtons ethics from day one, and is the reason why our strikers past and present fail to score regularly.

Movement is class. Two great efforts both well saved by the Scummer.

Could have had two today but for him, he''ll score goals alright.

He sounded dangerous today. Sounded because I could only listen on the radio today, but from their account was only denied a brace by two excellent saves from Stockdale. Not to mention those multiple times when the phrase ''and Wolfswinkel is almost there, it was just a yard in front of him'' was used in relation to balls into the box. Slowly but surely as the players get to know each other some of those are going to be more chances falling to him - and the more chances the more goals.

Really hope we can get him and Hooper playing well together. Half way through the season and our best strike force is as yet untried and untested. I wish they had started off that road today by start with both of them for at least the first half, but i''m not surprised they didn''t. From now on I really don''t want to see Elmander for a while except from the bench. In those home and away matches that allow for two strikers/forwards we have to try hooper and van wolfswinkel for a bit. If two strikers is deemed to much of a risk, then use Hoolahan or another attacking midfielder behind a front one.

City 2nd wrote the following post at 04/01/2014 6:37 PM:

can u sit down please wrote the following post at 2014-01-04 10:24 PM:

Fantastic movement, looked sharp, follows everything up like a good poacher should, good link up play and unlucky not to have scored today.

I don''t think people criticising him are clueless - Ricky unfortunately had to seek the ball far too often, especially taking him out of position to wide areas. Until Hughton actually finds him someone to play on his wavelength, (as sporting did) in a top two, and we actually have good wingers who can cross the ball to his strengths, he will not score. Josh Murphy summed it up on Radio Norfolk - the gaffer likes us to track back and stay on the defender and midfield runners - this is the ultra defensive pattern that destroys our attacking play, and which necessitates our strikers running into wide areas to receive the ball - because the winger having tracked back, is not in a far enough forward position. This has been Hughtons ethics from day one, and is the reason why our strikers past and present fail to score regularly.

You missed the other thing the lad said - that he was encouraged to shoot. That''s all very well but, as with Redmond, it usually means coming inside, closing down the options for the forwards and midfield. It would have been nice to hear him say he was encouraged to hit the goal line on occasions and get crosses in.

And where did our goal come from today? A left foot cross from the left wing! How I dream of right foot crosses from the right wing .......... and I bet Hooperand RvW do too!

[quote user="City 2nd"]can u sit down please wrote the following post at 2014-01-04 10:24 PM:

I don''t think people criticising him are clueless - Ricky unfortunately had to seek the ball far too often, especially taking him out of position to wide areas. Until Hughton actually finds him someone to play on his wavelength, (as sporting did) in a top two, and we actually have good wingers who can cross the ball to his strengths, he will not score. Josh Murphy summed it up on Radio Norfolk - the gaffer likes us to track back and stay on the defender and midfield runners - this is the ultra defensive pattern that destroys our attacking play, and which necessitates our strikers running into wide areas to receive the ball - because the winger having tracked back, is not in a far enough forward position. This has been Hughtons ethics from day one, and is the reason why our strikers past and present fail to score regularly.[/quote]

Sorry City 2nd but I cannot begin to agree with that summary.

The issue is the quality of the ball into the middle - we had umpteen chances from good positions (and often very well-worked positions) today to get the ball into RVW and in far too many occasions the issue was poor quality of either delivery or decision-making by the player making the cross.

How anyone can call the shape or mentality defensive today is beyond me. It was good possession football with frequent opportunities to get the ball into the striker.

And as for tracking back...every wide midfielder in the country is asked to track their runners when the opposition have possession. To use that quote as a stick to beat Hughton with is a touch narrowminded I think...

I cant understand why ricky didnt score a hatful today with our best passer of the ball on the pitch, providing defence splitting passes....[;)]

[quote user="morty"]I cant understand why ricky didnt score a hatful today with our best passer of the ball on the pitch, providing defence splitting passes....[;)][/quote]

They almost combined first half, interesting that his best second half chance came from a Garrido cross. Garrido, the next forgotten man....?

drurys testamonials V 15 wrote the following post at 04/01/2014 6:53 PM:

Is not lone striker material. Give him a strike partner and the goals will come. They did with Hooper who plays better with a strike partner and is now scoring.

Yes the goals will come, as long as he doesn''t play two inverted wingers who close the game up and continually put in crosses with the ''wrong'' foot.

Fantastic movement, looked sharp, follows everything up like a good poacher should, good link up play and unlucky not to have scored today. People criticising him are clueless

Kingsway

Exactly my thoughts all season!

I can see hes a good player, the problem is he is living of scraps!

One good chance in the 2nd half where the keeper made the best save of the game!

His other chance in the 1st half he made on his own and the snapshot was a decent effort!

Norwichs problem is that we''re very poor in the final third of the pitch , fanny about way to much in the corners, don''t push up enough, not enough decent crosses, don''t get the ball and enough players in the box, all of which don''t support the strikers and apart from the recent ManU game don''t play at high enough tempo most of the time!

You could have some of the worlds best in our team at present and they''d struggle with the scraps this poor Norwich attacking side provides!

Sits on the last man and was always looking for he quick ball through when we had possession in the middle of the pitch. The problem we have is our normal centre mids havn''t got that pass in their locker, only Fox has that passing ability from our centre mids but he won''t get a game. So how are we going to get the best out of him because although the ability must be there it seems we can''t play to his strenths.

[quote user="JF"]Sits on the last man and was always looking for he quick ball through when we had possession in the middle of the pitch. The problem we have is our normal centre mids havn''t got that pass in their locker, only Fox has that passing ability from our centre mids but he won''t get a game. So how are we going to get the best out of him because although the ability must be there it seems we can''t play to his strenths.[/quote]

What seriously JF? You honestly think Fer doesn''t have that in his locker? I think Fer was bought with exactly that role in mind. In fact I seem to remember RVW kind of leaking the signings of Redmond and Fer. I gotta say that in my opinion Fer and Wes have more than Fox in that regard.

Oh and good post CUSDP[Y]

I''m even quite pleased we have a replay so that RVW can get another full game of competitive football. The extra fixture won''t really harm us if we play the same team. I might even go!

I think the man crush for Fox on this forum outweighs anything Cody, Becchio, Martin or Doc managed to accumilate together.Face facts, hes crap.Hes not in the managers plans.Hes being sold or released whatever comes first.And as Nutty pointed out, Fer and Howson both have in in thier lockers....* Deep breath * THEY ARE JUST NOT ALLOWED TO CROSS THE HALF WAY LINE......* and calm*

The "wolf" is a Dutch version of Steve Morison and could be the biggest waste of money in our club`s history. Needless to say I hope I am wrong.

What seriously JF? You honestly think Fer doesn''t have that in his locker? I think Fer was bought with exactly that role in mind. In fact I seem to remember RVW kind of leaking the signings of Redmond and Fer. I gotta say that in my opinion Fer and Wes have more than Fox in that regard.

In half a season i have yet to see that he has. I agree Wes has but again Hughton hasn''t used him enough. Fox has his faults and wont feature in the league but he can ping a pass. People say that Wes isn''t consistent enough but Fer is the perfect example of this. Could be a very good player but at the moment he isn''t as good as many on this forum believe.

[quote user="JF"]What seriously JF? You honestly think Fer doesn''t have that in his locker? I think Fer was bought with exactly that role in mind. In fact I seem to remember RVW kind of leaking the signings of Redmond and Fer. I gotta say that in my opinion Fer and Wes have more than Fox in that regard.

In half a season i have yet to see that he has. I agree Wes has but again Hughton hasn''t used him enough. Fox has his faults and wont feature in the league but he can ping a pass. People say that Wes isn''t consistent enough but Fer is the perfect example of this. Could be a very good player but at the moment he isn''t as good as many on this forum believe.[/quote]

What pass did Fox make today that was better than Fer''s ball to Hooper at Watford?

I''m pleased Fox is back. He had a good game today and we could well need him at some point. But Fer''s had a good season so far for us and has already scored more goals for us than Fox managed in all his 60 odd games.

Fox played a lovely ball over the defence in the 1st half that picked out one of RVW runs which he took down on his chest, hit a shot that the keeper tipped wide. I''m not saying he should start, what i am saying is our midfield in the league has been passing side ways and backwards when his game is clearly looking for that Crook like early ball over the top.

I saw the pass JF. But to me was no better than Fer''s to Hooper at Watford.

I reckon Fer the most complete midfielder we''ve had at the club for a very long time. And in my opinion he can pass better than Fox. But we all see it differently.

He is clearly a better all round midfielder and hopefully he will continue to progress and fulfil his potential.that is not what I am saying. The ball that will play Ricky in and get him scoring I havn''t seen Fer play yet. If only we could unearth a new Ian Crook, Ricky would get a hat full.

[quote user="Warren Hill"]Movement is class. Two great efforts both well saved by the Scummer.

Could have had two today but for him, he''ll score goals alright.[/quote]

You keep believing Warren. Oh, and Santa really does exist you know .

wait wait wait, CUSDP makes a post I 100% agree with, now that''s impressive ;)

in all seriousness, some things on here are crazy. Fer is much the better player than fox and rvw will pull through.